24: Redemption. Discussion and Spoilers

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Trekker4747, Nov 19, 2008.

?

Grade the movie

1. Excellent

9 vote(s)
    20.9%
  2. Good

25 vote(s)
    58.1%
  3. Average

6 vote(s)
    14.0%
  4. Bad

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  5. Terrible

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  1. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

^^
    Just four years. Which is still ridiculous, but less so than eight years.

Even if you place the season three in 2004 (and the creators place it in 2006, putting 24 on a sort of alternate West Wing election cycle), you're still pretty far out from the present day (season three+4 years and 8 months+however long between seasons six and seven).

2. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

3. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Which is ... ?

4. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

That Jack didn't see what happened after Tony "died" because the paramedics took him away while Jack was running around fighting bad guys and then getting kidnapped by the Chinese plot contrivance brigade.

5. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Well, what I meant was that Daniels was W.Palmer's Vice. Wayne Palmer was a Democrat. Which means that Daniels ascended on the Democratic ticket. So, if Taylor is a Democrat that that would mean either Daniels has finsihed his two terms (very unliikely) or for whatever reason didn't seek re-election or even somehow more incredibly re-ran under the Republican ticket or Independent ticket.

So it's confusing, to say the least. So, politics as usual in the 24-verse.

And here's my take on the time-line.

24's first season was released in late 2001 during the "California Presidential Primary" which would put it in either March of 2000 or March of 2004. I, for one, felt it was in 2000 because to me it made "more sense" to have it take place a year in the past than several years in the future.

Season Two takes place "18 Months Later" in September 2001.
    Season Three takes place "Three Years Later" in September 2004.
    Season Four takes place "18 Months Later" in April 2006
    Season Five takes place "18 Months Later" in October 2007
    Season Six takes place "20 Months Later" in June 2009.

(There's a snag as, IIRC, a sign in a train station in Season Four has a date in August on it.)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  6. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

And what I'm saying is that Daniels finished out Wayne's term (which had only just begun a few weeks prior to season six), and when it came to the election, lost a heated primary battle with newcomer Taylor who went on to win in the general election.

We know he sought re-election because he says as much to Taylor ("the talking heads say my heart just wasn't in it").

7. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't know what the heated debate is over here. Does it really matter what party the new president is? Why do you NEED her to be a democrat? Political affiliation has meant nothing on this show, since obviously they've portrayed both decent hard workers and corrupt backstabbers for every president so far.

Besides, there will just be a different president for season eight anyway. :)

8. Trekker4747

Does a sitting Preisdent even go through a primary battle?

Isn't it a given, even expected a sitting president (even an ascended VP) will get the nomination?

9. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Your math has to be off there because 3 years and change pass between day four and five instead of just 1.5 years.

And season three has to take place in 2006 if Kyle Singer's driver's license and stated age is to be believed. More confusion.

10. Trekker4747

Season Five, officially, takes place 18 months after Season 4.

11. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Usually expected, but sitting Presidents have faced tough primary battles in the past. Reagan ran a tough primary battle against Ford in 1976, and Carter faced a tough primary battle in 1980 against Kennedy. Both eventually won the nomination, though.

Actually, I'm no expert in this area. Has a sitting President ever lost a primary battle? Probably not in recent memory, but there has to be some case of historical precedent, no?

12. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Yes, but you have season four in April of 2006 and season five in October of 2010... three years and six months, not one year and six months. Unless my math is just really fraked.

13. Trekker4747

Ack! I gotcha. Don't know what happened to me there! :lol: Must be tired or something. ;)

14. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Okay, yeah, everything does work out when the numbers are right...

Season one -- March 2000 (Super Tuesday)
    Season two -- September 2001 (18 months later)
    Season three -- September 2004 (three years later; Presidential Debate)
    Season four -- March 2006 (18 months later)
    Season five -- September 2007 (18 months later)
    Season six -- May 2009 (20 months later).
    Redemption -- January 2013 (the beginning of the next Presidency)
    Season seven -- ??

And just for fun...

Unnamed President (season one)
    President Palmer (season two/three)
    President Prescott (season two)
    President Keeler (season four)
    President Logan (season four/five)
    President Gardner (season five)
    President Palmer (season six)
    President Daniels (season six/Redemption)
    President Taylor (Redemption/season seven)

Damn, government sure is crumbling in 24-verse! :lol:

15. Trekker4747

Let's not forget there's been a major and nerly successful assiantion attempt on a Presidential Candidate (Palmer, season one) an attack on a major government oganization (CTU, season two) a nuclear threat and detonation by terrorists (season three), the (localized) release and potential outbreak of weaponized virus (season four), the successful attack on Air Force One (season five among other things), an attack in an LA airport (season five), the release of a nerve gas in an LA mall (season five), the release of a nerve gas in a goverment building (CTU, season five), and the attempted release of the nerve gas on the LA populous (season five), and the resignation of POTUS due to conspiracy behind the nerve gas (season five), then we have successful detonation of a nuclear device in an LA suburb (season six), a successful attack on a government building (CTU), a conspiracy to launch an attack on a Middle Eastern nation (season six) and so much more I've forgotten.

The universe in 24 is fucked up and damn-near in complete dystopic chaos.

16. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure of the answer to that question, but I believe that I heard during coverage of the 2004 election that no sitting President who had ever faced an internal party primary challenge when running for re-election ever went on to win the election. You yourself mentioned the Carter & Ford instances - each of them lost the successive elections.

I have to say, the odds of a challenger from the incumbent party running against a sitting POTUS in a primary challenge and not only winning the party nomination but going on to win the Presidential election are slim in the extreme. I mean, look at the divisions the Obama/ Clinton caused to the Dems, then imagine them multiplied 100-fold in the scenario I've just mentioned. Party unity would be out the window, the sitting lame duck president would do nothing to help his or her would-be party successor, the opposition would just have to sit back and watch them implode.

If Taylor and Daniels are both meant to be Democrats, then the only way the Republicans could have lost is that they put Charles Logan back up for election! And that he actually did die in the last season!