2022 book releases

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Enterprise1701, Sep 6, 2021.

1. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Hey, Earthlings! Stop nuking each other! Moderator

I was going to post the exact same thing. This seems like it would have been a perfect place for it.

2. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Fleet Captain Premium Member

IDW already reprinted that a year or two ago.

3. Damian

Damian Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

With the novels is it possible S&S just decided to cut back on publishing Star Trek novels? Book publishing these days is a lot different that in used to be. Maybe Star Trek just isn't as profitable for S&S as we like to think it is and they just decided to do 2 or 3 a year.

Just throwing that out there. I'm starting to think 2022 is going to look a lot like 2018 when we had just 2 Discovery books I think. I realize in 2018 that was due to licensing issues but maybe with decreased readership, the economy and COVID is it possible that Star Trek novels have taken a hit?

There are no current licensing issues are there? I can't imagine we'd have another issue with that so soon but I really don't know that much about how all that works.

4. mastadge

mastadge Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It's hard to conceive that if they were unprofitable or offered extremely modest profits they'd do 2-3 instead of zero, unless they're finishing out contractual obligations first. But since David Mack seems to have said or implied that there would be more I'm assuming we're just in the midst of a transition to a new schedule. Whether it's exacerbated by supply issues, Paramount scheduling issues, book production timelines vs availability of show bible/scripts/episodes to write from, or other. That said I am beginning to wonder if we won't see much this year in particular.

Reanok likes this.
  5. Damian

Damian Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

True. Though is it possible they figured out 2 to 3 is enough to be profitable? I'm just speculating. You're probably right, there may be other factors affecting the immediate release of books. I have to imagine some of the authors are probably biting their nails a bit. They usually do other things too, but I have to think Star Trek was generally a reliable place to have as a gig for a writer.

I'm definitely starting to feel like 2022 is going to be a wash for novels outside maybe up to 2 Picard novels (if there is truly a 2nd one being worked on as Memory Alpha notes).

Reanok likes this.
  6. GaryH

GaryH Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

They wouldn’t be doing hardcover first releases if the books were unprofitable

7. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

If S&S had any concerns about Star Trek not being profitable or even as profitable as before, they'd simply drop the license. Corporations don't waste money on something they won't profit from.

Allyn Gibson, GaryH, ATimson and 2 others like this.
  8. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hardcovers have a higher per-unit profit so they don’t need to sell as many copies as they would of an MMPB or TPB to make the same amount of money.

Allyn Gibson likes this.
  9. jimternet

jimternet Ensign Red Shirt

It looks like I’m the only one who’s found this, but I’ve been listing a Strange New Worlds novel as coming in September for several weeks: https://www.shastrix.com/books/star-trek-forthcoming.php

It’s called The High Country, and is by John Jackson Miller. There’s a blurb and everything.

Original source is the S&S catalogue for Fall 2022 (sorry, not got the link on my phone).

I’ve been patiently waiting for someone else to notice because it feels a bit self promotiony if I post about it, but I can’t let the torture continue.

JWolf, aventinelover, Leto_II and 7 others like this.
  10. GaryH

GaryH Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Oh nice.

11. Elwro

Elwro Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Awesomesauce.

12. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Called it:cool:

13. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

"The Gift" had a facsimile reprint last year.

14. DGCatAniSiri

DGCatAniSiri Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It’s still the first thing that comes to mind my mind as “a Picard comic,” and does so much sooner than any of the others.

My point was just that if they’re selling this as a collection centered on Picard, these don’t seem like fitting choices.

F. King Daniel likes this.
  15. mastadge

mastadge Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Glad to hear it. Guess it's time to read The Enterprise War.

16. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yay! I'm glad there's going be another Star Trek book coming out by John Jackson Miller.The Enterprise war is a good novel.

Jinn likes this.
  17. DS9_Klingon

DS9_Klingon Lieutenant Red Shirt

Can't ever go wrong with JJM---His Prey Series back in '16 (I think?) got me full swing back into Star Trek lore, generally speaking. Cheers! Can't wait to grab it this coming Fall!

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nice to hear about the Strange New Worlds book. I'm pretty sure we'll hear about more, it's only January and since they stopped making big announcements, we tend to hear about the books just two or three at a time, a few months before they come out.

19. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

So I was noticing today that apparently the next Star Trek Shipyard books (the two volume Alpha/Beta Quadrant set) have been pushed back to fall of 2023 at the projected date. :sigh:

20. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Might the SNW novel displace a TOS book for 2022?