2021 books announced

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by GaryH, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

Amusingly, I remember that one short story plot point where Burgoyne was annoyed at being assumed to automatically feel camaraderie with a member of an agender species, as Hermats took pride in the idea of "being both, not neither".

TheAlmanac likes this.
  2. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

Given that ST: DS9 fiction pioneered post-finale tales I would hope it has a prominent role.

Markonian likes this.
  3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think we can be pretty sure the Krenim are involved. A while back someone posted a quote from an interview Kirsten Beyer did where she said her last Voyager novel set up stuff for future books, and I haven't read it yet, but I believe it deals with the Krenim and left the stuff involving them unresolved.

Tuskin38 likes this.
  4. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Admiral Admiral

The DTI really want to contact the Krenim for some reason even though they've started they'll attack any federation ship entering their space.

Or something like that.

5. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Related to the fact the DTI has detected changes to the timeline they believe the Krenim are responsible for.

Tuskin38 likes this.
  6. Mike Doyle

Mike Doyle Lieutenant Red Shirt

Agreed. No idea how you’d pronounce s/he and with my accent (north east England) her and hir would be indistinguishable

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I can't think of any English-language accent in which they would be distinguishable, assuming "hir" rhymes with "sir" or "fir."

8. DGCatAniSiri

DGCatAniSiri Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I always read it as pronounced the same as “here,” pretty much for that reason.

Tim Thomason, Markonian and Jinn like this.
  9. Christopher

Which is just as confusing in its own way. These things don't work unless they're commonly understood and accepted, and none of the neologisms people have coined as gender-neutral pronouns have gained such widespread acceptance. The advantage of singular "they" is that it's always been in common usage. People may have been falsely taught that it was bad grammar, but it's familiar enough vernacular that people understand it when they hear it (just as they understand "ain't" or "would of").

10. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Admiral

I recall "hir" being used by Leslie Fish in her Andorian fanfic, in which she gave the species three genders (long before Data's comment in TNG).

I thought that "hir" was more of a written term, similar to when women began using the term "Ms" on documents (ie. eliminating the "Mr" within the term "Mrs"). I recall "wimmin" (as in "Wimmin's Comix", thus eliminating the "men" from "women")?

The pronunciation was not originally different, although people did move towards emphasising "Ms" more distinctly as "Mz".

11. Christopher

Back in high school, my sister went through a radical feminist phase where she favored the spelling "womyn."

I thought it was always pronounced that way. Also in high school, I had a substitute math teacher who insisted that she was "Miss, not Ms." (pronounced "Miz") to make it clear that she was single and looking. (Not at her students, of course.)

These days, it seems to me that people tend to pronounce "Ms." indistinguishably from "Miss."

Markonian and Therin of Andor like this.
  12. GaryH

GaryH Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Cool, I've been hoping we'd get something covering the Burnham's year in the 32nd Century before Discovery arrive.
    Shadows of Have Offended sounds like it could be interesting. I have to admit though, it sounds like a bit more of a planet of the week kind of story than I was expecting.
    Me too. I've always assumed it was meant to be a combination of her and he. I've never understood why Peter David didn't just go with they, it would have been a lot easier to deal with.

Markonian likes this.
  14. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Huh. So I guess the previously announced placeholder DTP was in fact Discovery Trade Paperback rather than an abbreviation of the title as I had believed:

15. Christopher

Rather, "hir" is meant to combine "him" (or "his") and "her." It's the objective form while "s/he" is the subjective.

16. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

17. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

The “hit” I always thought was pronounced “her”, just like you have fir trees and fer.

18. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Captain Captain

Good spot! Both seem like interesting tales. Plus another revealed title and blurb on the S&S website - the novel originally listed as OATW is now Living Memory, by Christopher; another in his movie-era works. Blurb follows:

JD, Therin of Andor, Cyfa and 2 others like this.
  19. Extrocomp

Extrocomp Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Interesting. I wonder if this "alien warrior caste" is a new species or one we've seen before.

20. Elwro

Elwro Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Both will be day 1 purchases for me (though, on this site, I'm guessing, this will not be a rare occurrence). Thank you very much for posting this news!