13's Outfit revealed!

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Starkers, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Are those Jack's pants and suspenders?

2. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Pants:
    [​IMG]
    Trousers:
    [​IMG]

I'm not going to show you what suspenders are as it's probably against the T&Cs of using these forums.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Let's see... Pants are trousers, suspenders are braces, garter belts are suspenders, sweaters are jumpers, sneakers are trainers... Odd that so many differences between American and British English involve clothing.

4. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Well, it's not like it's just clothing. Lift, biscuit, flat, solicitor, loo, billion, caretaker, etc., just to name a few off the top of my head.

5. Christopher

Yeah, of course, obviously there are plenty of differences, but they're spread out among a variety of different subject matters. My point is that there seems to be an unusually high number pertaining to clothing specifically. Like, yes, on the subject of buildings, there are differences like "lift" and "flat" and which floor is the first floor, but we use the same words for stairs and windows and doors and ceilings and walls and such. And some food terms like biscuits and chips and spag bol are different, but there are a lot that are the same -- ham, cheese, tea, coffee, milk, apple, tomato (pronunciation aside), etc. And a lorry may have a spare tyre in the boot and use a satnav while driving on the motorway, but... okay, well, maybe there are a lot of different terms concentrated in that subject as well.

6. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

So what would my chances of scoring be if I were wearing Tom Baker pants?

Jedman67 likes this.
  7. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Double what your chances would be if you were wearing Colin Baker pants!

8. Jedman67

Jedman67 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's what I meant by suit; slacks and a jacket - not strictly matching. I didn't realize Capaldi was complementing, not matching. Smith definitely pulled off the cranky-professor look, but he seemed too young to add proper gravitas to his role, for the most part. Tenant killed the gravitas in almost every episode - especially when he gives the camera that angry-stare (except for the romancing. that was horrible). An angry Time Lord is terrifying to behold, indeed.

9. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Perception is a funny thing. I think Smith nailed it naturally, much as I like Tennant I always felt like he was trying too hard, like you could see him acting.

Allyn Gibson and Captaindemotion like this.
  10. Jedman67

Jedman67 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Fair enough. And Capaldi looks mean even when he is sleeping :lol:

11. Christopher

It's the attack eyebrows.

12. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sartorially-minded Americans always say "trousers" when describing a dressier garment.

Kor

13. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Somewhere, Barrowman just felt a tingle and doesn't know why.

Starkers likes this.
  14. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

I've been involved in the fashion industry a few times in various capacities and people who say "trousers" are a rare breed.

15. Christopher

In my experience, the kind of pants/trousers that go with a suit are often called slacks.

16. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

I'm English and I call them trousers.

17. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm talking more about connoisseurs such as people who write blogs about menswear and use Savile Row terminology, and bespoke tailors who do the same.
    Today's fashion-forward suits definitely can't be described as "slack."

Kor

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  18. Christopher

Such garments can be tight and still be called slacks. I did some digging into the etymology, and though I'm not entirely certain, I get the impression that the term originally came from "slack" in the sense of relaxed, since they were originally seen as casual, informal wear (i.e. not part of a suit), although the usage and perception have evolved since then.

19. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    It's especially bad in a fashion context because the British & Americans use the same words for different but similar things, which is a lot more confusing than when we use different words for the same thing. In the U.S., "lift" is a verb & "flat" is an adjective. Neither one is generally used as a noun (unless you're in theatre and "flat" is a set wall). "Lorry" isn't an American word at all. "Satnav" & "motorway," while not strictly American idioms are at least so obvious that no confusion is possible.

Just don't take your ham to Canada or the freaks will keep trying to call it "bacon"! :p

Agreed. Although Capaldi leaves them both in the dust. And while he does look mean while he's sleeping, I love his smile. He's got the best smile in the business, perhaps because it so radically brightens up such a naturally grim face.

Jedman67 likes this.