13's Outfit revealed!

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Starkers, Nov 9, 2017.

1. danellis

danellis Captain Captain

This is true. I find it can sometimes be a bit disorientation. There's a scene in the West Wing where a (male) reporter asks a (female) press secretary if she likes his new suspenders, which always make me do a double take....

dJE

2. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Someone on Twitter suggested she looks like a cool young art teacher, or what she thinks a cool young art teacher should wear, which is a nice vibe to have.

I think seeing the costume on the move will be very different to seeing it static like this. And most of the time we won't see the whole outfit all of the time which will give a different vibe as well. Plus we don't know if this is what she'll wear all the time. I suspect as others have said that the most permanent bit of the outfit is likely to be the coat. It definitely has the feel of a Timelord robe, but colour wise is very Davison.

Be interesting to see her in action once we get some set pics

3. Satron

Satron Commander Red Shirt

I don't hate it.

Starkers likes this.
  4. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My greatest worry is how the NEXT Doctor will fit into that when he regenerates in. ;)

Mark

werdegast likes this.
  5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Why assume it'll be a "he"?

Anyway, I'm not thrilled by the first glance, but maybe it's just not a good angle for the photo. It looks better in the concept sketch, and in some of the fan art I've seen posted online (because apparently artists can draw really fast). Maybe it'll look better when we see her in motion. Also, we don't really know anything about the Thirteenth Doctor's personality yet. Maybe when we understand who she is, we'll find her wardrobe choice appropriate.

6. Mark_Nguyen

You're right, I shouldn't assume. I was going more for her being relatively short, regardless. How tall IS Jodie Whittaker, anyway?

Edit: 1.67 m, or a little over 5'5". All the other new Doctors have been 6 feet or 6'1" in David Tennant's case.

Mark

7. Christopher

So that makes Whittaker the shortest Doctor, breaking Sylvester McCoy's record by 1 cm.

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls072719656/

I almost said this was the shortest the Doctor has ever been as an adult, but that's not true if you consider "Planet of Giants," "Carnival of Monsters," "The Armageddon Factor," "The Sound of Drums"/"Last of the Time Lords," "The Wedding of River Song," and "Into the Dalek." (I'm not counting "The Invisible Enemy," since that was a clone of the Doctor that got miniaturized.)

I hadn't realized that all the new-series Doctors to date have been within an inch of 6 feet. I guess that makes it easier for them to wear each other's clothes. Also surprising that Hartnell and Troughton were the same height. I always assumed that the Second Doctor's clothes were baggy because they were just the First Doctor's clothes and were too big for him, but I guess that doesn't work. (Although it was explicit in "The Power of the Daleks" that his fingers were smaller and the First Doctor's ring no longer fit him. That's probably where I got the idea.)

The Borgified Corpse likes this.
  8. Butters

Butters Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, colour me critical. She'll probably pull it off just fine when the series gets going, but on first impressions all I'm seeing is Rod, Jane and Freddy.

It also looks like a costume, not an outfit.

9. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So just like every other Doctor except for Eccleston then?

10. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

11. Janeway’s Girl

Janeway’s Girl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don’t like it. Looks like they just picked up random pieces. They should have made it similar to her debut outfit. Oh well. Maybe she’ll get an outfit change.

Qonundrum likes this.
  12. StCoop

That was Capaldi's clothes.

Qonundrum likes this.
  13. Christopher

No, it wasn't. It was just something they used for the reveal video, a generic gray coat, black hoodie, gray pants, and boots. A lot of people seem to assume the reveal video was a clip from the regeneration episode, but it was just something they shot to introduce Whittaker. I don't think the regeneration had actually been filmed yet when they made that.

Hey, here's a question: I'm pretty sure Whittaker is a natural brunette, and in that photo, she looks like her hair is dyed blond with brown roots (also brown eyebrows). So how does the Doctor's regeneration give her dyed hair? Or is she going to be brunette immediately after her regeneration and then quickly decide to get a dye job (and an ear piercing, apparently)?

Qonundrum likes this.
  14. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Much like Pertwee regenerated with a tattoo I imagine...

Captaindemotion likes this.
  15. Mark_Nguyen

This all came from the same place as Jon Pertwee's Navy tattoo. Time Lords may simply just have them (The Corsair apparently had the same tattoo regardless of incarnation OR gender), or not. As it stands, every Doctor has emerged from a regeneration with perfectly styled hair and shaven face, so SOMETHING's afoot in the process that allows a Time Lord to pick up and keep going without having to look in a mirror.

Mark

TheAlmanac likes this.
  16. StCoop

You've just described what Capaldi wore for half his epsiodes.

Qonundrum likes this.
  17. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Or shaved head in the case of The Ninth Doctor. Doesn't really matter if The Thirteenth has "dyed hair" or not. Who's to say that's not just a natural way for a Time Lord's hair to appear, female or not?

18. Iamnotspock

Iamnotspock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Or Tennant with pre-gelled hair.

19. Christopher

No, I checked. The wardrobe was similar, but not identical.

20. StCoop

*sigh* Sincee we've entered the realms of the pedantic; she was wearing an outfit that is clearly meant to be suggestive of Capaldi's. Unless you think it was a complete coincidence?

The Nth Doctor likes this.