”Afraid” of the new Picard series?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by JesterFace, Jan 25, 2020.

1. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    Just a nit .... CBS supposedly gave Kurtzman $25 Million to run Trek for Five years.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  2. Paul Weaver

Paul Weaver Vice Admiral Premium Member

These numbers aren’t public, and even if they were you’re comparing us with global figures.

I heard discovery gets 400,000,000 views per second

uberfalcon likes this.
  3. Q_The_Misanthrope

Q_The_Misanthrope Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

If we go by analytics of viewer demand, DSC has been VERY successful. Not to mention CBS did say at one point their subscriber count had increased significantly.

4. Alan Roi

Alan Roi Commodore Commodore

And Burnham is a failed mutineer who inadvertently is involved in the start of a war with the Klingons, then was given a change to fix the damage she helped cause. I won't argue she has a savior complex. But she certainly doesn't start out looking like one, and it takes a lot to overcome for her to get to actually looking like she's saving anyone.

The Mandelorian isn't a Savior? Ask baby Yoda how many people he kills or gets killed to keep the little guy safe. Ask the shrimp farmers who's responsible for them being still alive. That's a whole lot of above and beyond the call and for the most part unasked for saving for someone who is not a savior.

Jean-Luc Picard isn't a savior? You're claiming that with a straight face? HIs Romulan house workers act like he is. Dahj and her mom act like he is. Even in the TV interview he implies that's what he is.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    Q_The_Misanthrope likes this.
  5. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

If a show has been their from day one than how does not any subscribers not count as a increase? It's like a increase from 0 to and number.

Jason

6. Alan Roi

The fact that Discovery both launched the streaming network and has been repeatedly been cited by the network as the reason why their network has overachieved their projections along with an acceleration of new Star Trek projects suggests very strongly that Discovery has been very successful.

7. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ah - so the contract was $5 million per years, not $5 million total. Still, it even further underscores the fact that IF ST: D wasn't doing VERY well, such a contract wouldn't have been offered/continued.

Alan Roi likes this.
  8. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

To me those things are people simple being good at their jobs. What I mean by savior is that you have a character who is somehow so important only they can perform a task or somehow the universe itself almost revolves around you. Mando as good as he is I am guessing has his equals in terms of being able to do the job. Even some we see on the show. Picard is same thing. Sure he is a great hero and has done much but Starfleet has plenty of heroes and has had plenty of heroes who you could say is in his league like Sisko and Janeway.

Burnham though has basically singled stopped the Klingon War,Saved all life in all universes and now we see only she can bring back the Federation. Which is pretty amazing track record for someone who isn't even a captain. Everyone basically differs to her judgment including Admirals and Captains and somehow she is better at being Vulcan than Vulcans and it's like her only flaw is she cares to much. Were as Mando has people telling him straight like the "I have Spoken " guy if they think he is wrong and Picard was basically ignored by the Federation when it came to the Romulan refuges and even seems to be looked at in a bad light by some now. Sure we can say that Burnham's advice was ignored also which is why the Klingon War happened but then again this is one of the issues were we are suppose to think someone who isn't even the captain is somehow filled with more wisdom than anyone else in Starfleet? Which I actually do admit is part of the flaw in how the show is structured and something DS9 would have had to deal with had they not promoted him to Captain at the end of season 3.

Jason

9. Alan Roi

FYI, Brunham's advice came from Sarek, who also warned her about what to do with what he told her, and her motivations for doing what she did were flawed, just as her methods of achieving them were flawed, and she ended up doing a whole lot more damage than good as a consequence of her actions. And, seriously, no, Burnham didn't single-handedly stop the Klingon War any more than she single-handedly started the war. The story of season 1 is a lot more complicated than that. And the idea that it she was a Captain, everything would be all right is also kind of a prejudiced way of handwaving. No way she or the Discovery makes it to the end of the season without the other main cast performing pivotal actions of their own over the course of the season.

As reductive as you would like to be here, IMO, such reductiveness does not pass the smell test.

10. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Which made no sense, considering he had to know she was suffering from PTSD where Klingons were concerned. He should've simply told her it was classified.

11. Alan Roi

Not really the perfect dad, Sarek.

12. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Difference between not-a-prefect Dad and complete and utter idiot.

13. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I trained in dealing with mental health issues and I completely suck at it with my kids. Never underestimate that limitation.

14. Kowalskn

Kowalskn Ensign Newbie

I don't think it will change it for me but if you continue to do any reading on forward that is were my view changes a little bit as the sieres moves forward