‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JoeZhang, Jul 20, 2013.

1. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

Parallels
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Affleck definitely has the chin for the part.

3. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Superman should be looking up.

Contrast, WB, contrast!

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

But it doesn't look scary so much as brooding and contemplative.

It's not the length I have an issue with, it's the shape. In live action, short ears are definitely more practical. But the shape of these suggests Catman more than Batman.

Superman has always been portrayed as mentally gifted as well as physically. He has a supergenius intellect and decades of comics have portrayed him solving problems with his wits or using his superior Kryptonian brain to achieve superhuman feats of invention. On the radio series, Clark was always the smartest one around, solving all the mysteries that baffled everyone else. Even radio Batman, who was pretty unimpressive compared to our image of the character, needed Superman to explain things to him all the time.

The idea that someone who has both brains and brawn at his disposal could be defeated by mindless muscle is crass and lazy and unbelievable. Doomsday was a terrible idea and a symbol of everything that was wrong with comics in the '90s.

If he had an edge, he could've gotten a closer shave...

5. The Old Mixer

In that shot, sure, but wait until he puts on his angry eyes....

6. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Long ears look better but are a bad idea in combat as they are easily grabbed. Thats my explanation and I am sticking to it, I guess.

7. Christopher

^Well, unless you use them to head-butt people and stab them. But then he'd be Bullman, I guess.

8. The Old Mixer

There's also head clearance to consider. A guy who specializes in sneaking around doesn't need to have to factor in another six inches above the top of his head...

...but then there's his big-ass cape, so....

9. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

Another reason why I think realism in superhero fiction to be overrated.

10. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

Some realism is merited. Push the envelope too far and you wind up with things like this.
    [​IMG]

11. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Batman's still sad. How about a photo that shows Batman looking triumphant, proud, thoughtful, determined, excited, or angry?

12. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Dude. His parents died.

13. Christopher

How about a photo that shows Superman being something other than somber and gloomy?

14. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

His parents died too. :p

15. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Both sets!!!!! ( Sometimes it's just three of the four)

16. Kai "the spy"

Let's say 'currently overrated'.

17. Christopher

And sometimes it's only two. Let's see... th versions in which both of the Kents were dead in Superman's present include pretty much all the pre-Crisis versions -- comics, radio, movie serials, and TV -- and the New 52 continuity that started in 2011. In the post-Crisis continuity from 1986 through 2008, both Jonathan and Martha Kent were portrayed as alive and well in the present day in comics, and both live-action and animated television followed suit. The only continuities in which Jonathan has died and Martha lived, as far as I know, are the Christopher Reeve and Henry Cavill feature film continuities, Smallville, and the comics continuity from 2008 through 2011.

I hadn't realized until I checked just now that The New 52 had the Kents killed off. That's an oddly retro choice, given that the last time Superman was portrayed as doubly orphaned was nearly 30 years ago. When the character was created, life expectancies were shorter, so it was more common for grown adults to be without living parents; but by the time of the John Byrne reboot in '86, it had become more common for adults to have their parents still around, so having the Kents be part of Clark's life was more modern -- and also created a lot more opportunities for characterization and storytelling, since Superman had more people he could confide in. I'm surprised they'd revert him to an orphaned state in this day and age. But then, DC's print division these days seems determined to make its comics as dark and grim and tragic as possible.

18. Avalon

Avalon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You know, that was something I actually loved about Lois and Clark: Clark would go home and talk to his parents about his problems. And I loved their choice of actors for his parents. Probably my favorites in live-action.

19. The Old Mixer

The Adventures of Superman TV series also qualifies. If "Sarah" Kent died, it was offscreen...though if she lived, it wasn't something that they made use of in the show, either.

20. Kai "the spy"

Seconded.