Your latest purchases, cont.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Goliath, Oct 20, 2010.

1. wayoung

wayoung Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I bought a house tonight.

Velocity, BillJ, Kira's Mom and 3 others like this.
  2. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

Congratulations! :)

3. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

I bought a new toothbrush.

Keeping the old one to clean electronics

Velocity likes this.
  4. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As of next Monday: the car parts and repairs I need to pass inspection.

5. Sgt_G

Sgt_G Commodore Commodore

Shoes. I take a Men's size 7-Wide. Good luck finding anything in Men's size 7 let alone size 7-Wide..

Apparently, about two years ago all of the shoe stores and/or manufactures got together and declared that Men's shoes should start at Size 8 and go up, because Boy's shoes go up to Size 7. But ... (1) it's just as hard to find Boy's size 7 shoes, (2) even if you do find Boy's size 7 they're not Wide, (3) they typically don't have the style I need (causal dress for an office environment -- no sneakers allowed), and (4) if by some miracle you find Boy's size 7-Wide non-sneakers, they aren't very good quality and won't last more than a few months of everyday wear (I guess they expect them to be worn rarely for special occasions).

By some stoke of very good luck, I stumbled upon two pairs of "new old stock" Men's size 7-Wide shoes that look dressy enough for my boss. They lady told me they were in the back stock room for three or four years.

6. wayoung

I bought a home inspection and am now not buying a house.

Sgt_G likes this.
  7. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Okie dokie! Moderator

^ Sorry to hear that, but glad you were able to catch whatever the issue was before closing the deal. The way the housing market been lately, apparently a lot of people are skipping making the purchase conditional on an inspection. I imagine that has burned more than a few people.

wayoung likes this.
  8. wayoung

If only there were one issue! Then I'd have just revised my offer.

Suffice it to say, there is a very real possibility it could have collapsed on me one night. Even if I halved my offer I'd be spending all the money saved tearing down and rebuilding and living in a construction zone in the meantime.

Much better to find out in advance, but still depressing.

The house inspector told me something like "Hey, I try to be fair, I try to point out good things in a house too. And a lot of houses I do inspections on, at the end, I didn't need to inspect, and the clients consider hiring me to be a waste of money. But this place - this may have been the best value for a house inspection I've ever done"

The place is so beautiful but once you look below the shine....

They're gonna be counting on the next person not getting an inspection now. I'm going to keep it active in my portal, I want to see how long it takes and what it actually sells for. Or if they drastically cut the asking price.

Kira's Mom and Avro Arrow like this.
  9. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Alcatraz tour ticket for my San Francisco trip next week

Velocity likes this.
  10. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

Pretty decent toy haul at the flea market, for a change (I was about to give up on flea markets in my area). Got a sweet set of Nickelodean TMNT figures including weapons, the Shellraiser and the Ninja Stealth Bike with Raph figure, all for € 30,-. Also found DVDs of "Spaceballs" and the Stallone "Judge Dredd" for € 1,- each.

11. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ordered an early birthday present for myself from American Girl. They had some leftover ballerina doll gift sets originally sold at Costco. I'd wanted one last Christmas, but I don't have a Costco membership! Lucky me, the doll was in the last chance sale section, and was half price. Plus I had a $20 reward!

She's so pretty. https://www.americangirl.com/produc...t-curly-black-brown-hair-and-brown-eyes-hcf13

12. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Breakfast at Pinecrest Diner near Union Square

Edit: Ferry tickets so I can take my nephews to the Giants game this Thursday

Last edited: Jul 11, 2022
  13. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Edible cookie dough, flavored iced tea, chips, cat food and Gatorade.

Velocity likes this.
  14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Got an Impossible Whopper from Burger King for lunch, and I decided to be bad and I got cheese and mayo on it, for the last time. I hoped maybe they'd have a plant based cheese to along with the Impossible Whopper, but all they appear to have is dairy cheese.

15. wayoung

Are you trying to eat vegan?

16. Gingerbread Demon

I miss cookie dough. You can't buy that here anymore because reasons

17. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

$1,000 on car repairs: almost ready for inspection

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, this was my one last cheat meal. I was just really dying for cheese and mayo on it, so I decided to have one last burger with them on it.

wayoung likes this.
  19. wayoung

I actually don't know a vegetarian/vegan that likes the beyond/impossible products. They seem more aimed at getting carnivores to start limiting their meat consumption, which is why they are failing. Are you a fan?

20. Gingerbread Demon

There's a few places around here that sell burgers made from veggie stuff. Hungry Jacks sold one calling it the "Rebel Whopper" and it actually was kind of popular. I loved them