Your latest purchases, cont.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Goliath, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Lee is great value and they fit well. Seven belt loops too (most high volume production jeans have just 5). Lucky Brand is more expensive, but you can find them on sale. Very nice quality and attention to detail (but sadly, only 5 belt loops).

Sibyl likes this.
  2. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

I went to the Saturday Market (Salamanca Market) . I had a scallop pie for lunch $8 which is cheaper than my local Banjos Bakery but I like Banjos’ pies more.

I also bought these little handmade dolls

[​IMG]

publiusr, Sibyl, KimMH and 1 other person like this.
  3. KimMH

KimMH Drinking your old posts Premium Member

Those are adorable! And by handmade!:adore:

Miss Chicken and Sibyl like this.
  4. Miss Chicken

The friend who was with me when I bought her said that Dorothy was too small, that she looked like a little girl. I answered ‘well she was a little girl’. My friend ‘She was a teenager’. I said ‘only in the Judy Garland movie, in the books she was much younger’.

I think this Dorothy looks a bit like the Dorothy in the original illustrations by WW Denslow.

Sibyl and KimMH like this.
  5. KimMH

I haven’t read them in an age and don’t remember how old she was in the book! I do tend to always think of Judy Garland’s Dorothy, too.

Sibyl likes this.
  6. Miss Chicken

The picture on the left is a reproduction of a Denslow picture from the original book that is in my ‘The Annotated Wizard of Oz’. The book of the right is ta reprint of the book I grew up with. It was illustrated by Libico Maraja and is my favourite Dorothy. The only minor complaint about the little doll I bought yesterday is that her shoes are ruby, they were silver in the book.

By[​IMG]

KimMH and Sibyl like this.
  7. Marynator

Marynator Queen of all the Realms Premium Member

I bought a Deadpool costume for fun ... my boyfriend took some pictures today, I had a surprising amount of fun posing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Miss Chicken

^^^ you look great. If I got one of these it would look more like a giant cricket ball than Deadpool.

Janeway’s Girl, Sibyl and KimMH like this.
  9. KimMH

^^what fun and how adorable!

Those are both wonderful!

Sibyl likes this.
  10. Sibyl

Sibyl Caffeine Pill Popper Rear Admiral

What is money??? :sigh:

KimMH and Avro Arrow like this.
  11. KimMH

Had never heard of self edge jeans so googled it. Found a pair at goodwill close to my size for $8. Inter webs said I could shrink them. So gonna try them but gotta admit it will be hard not to launder them.

Theyre low rise though which I hate. Will look for higher rise in the future.

Sibyl likes this.
  12. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

Awesome! :) You look great in it.

13. Gary7

Good score! What brand? As you've probably discovered selvedge means a finished edge of the denim, so an extensive amount of stitching at the edge isn't necessary, and it makes cuffs look great. To make selvedge denim, it requires an older style shuttle loom that isn't as fast as a modern day projectile loom. The textile mills creating selvedge pay closer attention to quality, because the lower output and higher cost demands it. Not to say you can't get good quality from modern... it's just not as desirable without that clean finished edge.

An interesting read about selvedge and why it's more than just the edge that is superior: selvedge vs. raw denim.

Anyway, denim is a very dynamic textile. It will shrink and stretch, the degree of which by how its laundered and the fitment to body when worn. It's also very much dependent on the denim being raw versus Sanforized. Yet, even Sanforized denim can shrink if put in a machine dryer on medium to high. The main thing is, always launder in cold water and if you have to use a machine dryer, use the delicate/low setting, and remove when still somewhat damp (let it dry the rest of the way hanging). If the jeans are a bit too loose on you, you can force shrinkage to get a better fit--just do it gradually in steps until you get the fit you want.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
    Random_Spock likes this.
  14. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

A set of luggage tags (which are bright orange so my bag's more easily spotted on the carrousel).

15. KimMH

Whoops. Washed them in cold but I did dry them in the dryer.

It’s a brand called Antik Denim I’ve never heard of.

They are ridiculously extra. There are only five belt loops but they are all double. Never seen that.

All the seams are rolled and encased in binding tape. Fancy and noooo chafing.

The denim is really heavy - these things will last forever -I’m super impressed by them - I am definitely going to look for more.

Thanks for tuning me into these!

Gary7 and Random_Spock like this.
  16. Miss Chicken

Four new pops - The Black Knight and Sir Bedivere, Angus Young and Alice Cooper.

I would have like to get The Black Knight Pop with his arms chopped off but it is far too expensive, as is the French Taunter and Tim the Enchanter. I do however have a King Arthur on the way.

I probably will buy an Elton John pop but there are no more rock stars that I want after that.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    KimMH, Random_Spock and Sibyl like this.
  17. Gary7

Sounds nice! Post a pic when you get a chance. Yeah, belt loops are a pet peeve of mine if not done well. But 5 can certainly be fine depending upon placement and since yours a doubled-up, that's really good. Washing in cold is always preferable, as it'll keep them from shrinking. If you need a little shoring up, soak in warm to medium hot water for a while, then rinse in cold. Best to hang dry, but if you use a dryer, definitely use the lowest setting. Do them inside out! And when getting nearly dry, still a bit damp, remove and then hand for the rest of the drying. A good solid 14oz denim jean with stop quality stitching (usually had with selvedge) can last a couple decades if well cared for.

KimMH likes this.
  18. Butters

Butters Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Bottle of Highland Park and some fimo clay.

KimMH likes this.
  19. Sibyl

Sibyl Caffeine Pill Popper Rear Admiral

Keep checking out various brands and types of polymer clays. Some are a little stiffer and easier to work with and some, like you said, are just too mushy and sticky. I can't remember if Fimo is on the firmer or softer side. I just know that original Sculpy is super soft and sticky!

KimMH likes this.
  20. Butters

Butters Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Fimo is the one that seems to be preferred in all of the online tutorials I’ve been watching recently, though they may have been sponsored by Fimo for all I know. This is my first go with Fimo, I’ve been using the Das air drying stuff, and it does seem quite firm, but also just learned to condition it before I start sculpting.

Sibyl likes this.