Yet even more usless 80's remakes...Ughh

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by PKerr, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Well, if I were re-writing the original Star Wars and could only change one thing, the dialogue would obviously be the target. Even with some on-set tweaking, Harrison Ford was still right when he told Lucas, "You can write this shit, George, but I can't say it."

2. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

While i would agree at times with sentiment that Hollywood is creatively bankrupt. When is a remake too soon, 10 years, 20 years, 30 years?

Sometimes a remake can be better than the orginal or the most recent remake, plus of course sometimes we look back through rose tinted glasses. Our Nostalgia for things that we grew up with can cloud our memories of just how good it was.

To me "Batman Begins" was better than "Batman" (Tim Burton's)
    Whilst I prefer the original "The Italian Job" to the more recent one.

3. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

You know, I'd agree with all of this. And yet, I still find Perry's music rather catchy and likeable. Go figure.

4. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Not to mention, there are only about fifteen basic stories in existence since the beginning of time, and they are being remade through the history of mankind: name, appearances, and details might change, but the basic stories are always the same. And yet, stories are still good, and we as a whole get a lot of enjoyment from them.

5. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd like to see a Weird Science remake, in which Lisa actually teaches the kids flirtation mojo, rather than conjuring up a fantastical life-or-death crisis to all but force the two pairs together. And if they made such a movie and it sucked, I could simply ignore it. Win-win. :bolian:

(Okay, what I'd really like to do is write and direct the WS remake. Call me, Universal! :p)

6. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Precisely.

Improve isn't the word I'd use. 'Update', rather. Star Wars would be a different movie, not the same movie with new actors. They'd be making a modern blockbuster, and blockbusters have, you know, evolved since the late 1970s. Just compare that film to something like J.J. Abrams' Star Trek, for example. Very different tone in the writing.

Yes.

In fact, I'd compare it to another 1990s remake of an iconic black and white film with a menacing sociopath: Cape Feare. Scorsese's version kept the Bernard Hermann score (as van Sant kept Psycho's Hermann) but had a significantly different script and a far more fractured family dynamic. Is the original Cape Feare great? Yes. So's Scorsese's.

By contrast van San'ts film only works as a kind of art school excerise. The character of Norman Bates is significantly changed, but that's only by casting Vince Vaughn in the role and letting his dumb oaf persona serve as a stark contrast to Anthony Perkins... and hell that doesn't work.

Greetings from Ireland.

Believe it or not the Star Wars films are very well known globally. They're spectacle filmmaking, it translates well.

7. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

I know. I was in my teens back then.

I miss those days....

And for the record, I think every movie that has ever been made should be remade three times each. Even the remakes. And the remakes of the remakes.

If nothing else it would confuse the the hell out of our decendants.

8. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

We should also preface every film with "based on a true story," just to throw them even more.

9. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Well, the obvious change to make with Star Wars would be to make it fit with the prequels better. The new version would have to re-write parts of the storyline that no longer fit with the prequels mostly dealing with plot points that Ben seems to have forgotten, like owning droids. If you were redoing the entire original trilogy, Luke would obviously find out that Leia is his sister much earlier - to avoid awkward kisses.

10. RandyS

Seriously though, I'm still hoping to see that Forbidden Planet remake.

11. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Forbidden Planet is a classic film, it still holds up reasonably well today, over 50 years later

12. RandyS

I agree. But I still wan to see that remake.

13. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Precisely. Remakes don't replace the earlier versions. They just give you, er, another version.

It's weird. People often seem to think that a remake is going to "ruin" the previous version somehow. "The old version is great! Leave it alone!" But how exactly is the older version hurt? It's not like the old version is reedited or yanked out of circulation or banished to limbo. The old version has been left alone. It's still the same movie.

Did the 1950's version of THE THING disappear when the John Carpenter version came out? Did the original CAT PEOPLE stop being a classic when the remake came out in the 80's? Can you like more than one version of THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME?

No, no, and yes.

14. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^If only that were true with Lucas' properties. He keeps trying to bury the original versions of his movies in favor of re-edited shit.

15. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Whatever, so long as Greedo always shoots first. Because, ya know... GREEDO is the fucking BAD GUY. HAN SOLO is the HERO. People freak out over one minor edit of an obvious error in the original... *sigh*

16. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

That new Conan the Barbarian movie is looking more and more like another useless remake.

17. Idran

Idran Commodore Commodore

Eh...I would say there is one situation where that could be true. People say that everything's on DVD nowadays, but as many fans of the older eras of films are aware, it's most definitely not true. There's wide swathes of the less popular parts of various studios' movie catalogs that still hasn't been transferred to DVD, sometimes not even VHS. There's even a few movies whose only existent versions in the modern day outside the original filmstock are Laserdisc. And with Bluray getting bigger and bigger now, it's just going to be in even bigger problem since studios would see even less of a reason to convert a movie to BD when it was never even converted to DVD. And remakes of films from that era that haven't yet been transferred could cause those studios to push down the priority of transferring the original even further, since with the remake it would be seen as less of a concern.

Then again, it could also cause them to move it up, for promotional purposes and all. But it's something to be aware of, if nothing else.

18. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    I want to see a remake of Steve McQueen's The Blob. That's a classic movie if there ever was one. :p

19. Goliath

Goliath Vice Admiral Admiral

Oddly enough, that was actually remade in the Eighties.

If that was a play on "useless 80's remakes," then I salute you, sir. Very meta. :techman:

20. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Of course, the whole idea that every movie should be available on home video is a fairly new one. I'm old enough to remember when the only time when you could see a classic old movie was when it showed up on the late, late show, or maybe at a college or revival theater. So, in general, your odds of being able to see the original anything are better today than ever before. (Hell, TCM was running a Lon Chaney silent-movie marathon the other day. There's no way I could have seen any of those movies back in the day.)

And, if anything, I think a remake does increase the visibility of the previous version, which often gets a fancy new DVD release to cash in on the remake. THE AVENGERS movie sucked, but it did mean that the original Diana Rigg episodes got re-released in the USA in a spiffy new boxed set. And I note that AMC is rerunning the original eighties version of CONAN THE BARBARIAN tonight, no doubt because the remake is opening this weekend.

(I'm actually surprised and disappointed that nobody is airing the original FRIGHT NIGHT this weekend. I was looking forward to seeing that again.)

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011