X-Box 360 or PS 3

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Alpha Romeo, Dec 10, 2008.

1. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

Knowing what I know about you Alpha, I think that you would like a 360 better. The PS3 is a neat system, but there are a fair amount of hassles that make it a bit closer to a computer experience. If you want the cleanest experience, I would go with the 360. Plus I think that you will like the selection of games better.

It is a subjective piece of advice, but there it is. In the end, I don't think either is a bad choice and you should be happy with whatever system you end up with.

2. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Well if the PSN keeps improving the way it is it might just start to hit XBlive in 2009, i would love to see XBlive going either free or giving Gold members something else other than just the ability to play their games online, mutiplat wise i now buy all my online games for the PS3 and i stick with single or split-screen games on the 360, that way i am not forced to cough up money to play the online aspects of mutiplat games, i mean if the PS3 version of the game can be played online for free then its really pointless paying somebody else to play the same game online.

Plus the PS3 already had ingame texting and custom sound tracks implemented in the last update...although ingame sound tracks activated by Sony in the last firmware update are at the mercy of the game Dev's as to whether they activate the feature in their game or not....:(

Oh i don't know, we came quite close with the Philips CD-I........:lol:

You have not lived until your racing people online on Burnout with some James Bond music egging you on to give them that little nudge into that fast approaching wall......:lol:

Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  3. Chess Piece Face

Chess Piece Face Commodore Commodore

I just got a PS3 as a christmas gift. I have a wii and a ps2, and I would never spend 400 bucks on a console. The thing is, after using it for one day, I realize this thing is DEFINITELY worth the price. Not only does it have kick ass games like call of duty 4, bioshock, little big planet, etc...but is is a great blu-ray player, and with a 20 dollar program from nullriver, I use it to stream video from my mac, essentially giving me another appletv. Plus with the game demos, and all the other goodies online, and with the FREE online, this thing is completely worth it. And like I said, this is coming from a guy who thought it was way too expensive until he used it.

4. Scherazade

Scherazade Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I own both a PS3 and a 360. Despite the reputation, the PS3 is a great console and actually has some of the best games this generation, most people just don't know it. Sony really needs to work on their marketing department because they need to get the word out.

First, the PS3 has great games, is a blu-ray player, can store music and video, and the PSN is great and free.

The 360 has great games and can do great things, especially with the New Xbox Experience. But Xbox Live is not free but the console is cheaper. Now, let's get to the games, which is probably your chief interest.

PS3 Games
    Metal Gear Solid 4 (one of the best games ever)
    Resistance (great FPS series with great multiplayer)
    Little Big Planet (no other game like it)
    Uncharted (great game, prefer it to Gears of War and a sequel is coming out)
    Heavenly Sword (great action game, if short)
    Folklore (interesting RPG)
    Ratchet & Clank (great action and fun)
    Killzone 2 (not yet released, but looks incredible)
    God of War III (not yet released, but a continuation of the best action series ever)
    Wipeout HD (great racing game with nice multiplayer options)
    Motorstorm(good racing game)
    Final Fantasy Versus XIII (still an upcoming exclusive)

Xbox Games
    Halo series (excellent FPS)
    Gears of War series (excellent shooter)
    Lost Odyssey (good RPG)
    Blue Dragon (good RPG)
    Tales of Vesperia (good RPG)
    Mass Effect (excellent RPG shooter from the makers from BioWare)
    Fable II (good game if overrated)
    Star Ocean 4 (upcoming exclusive RPG)

This list is just exclusives. They don't include multiplatform games like Call of Duty, Bioshock (one of the best FPS ever, BTW), Prince of Persia, Fallout 3, Mirror's Edge, Dead Space, Final Fantasy XIII and a bunch of others I can't remember. If multiplayer is huge for you, the 360 is the easy choice. More people own them and chances are your friends do to. So if you want to join your friends, it's a no brainer. But the PS3 is the better single player option (which is why I am biased towards it and is why I prefer to Uncharted to Gears of War.)

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

5. unimatrix7

unimatrix7 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You missed Valkyria Chronicles, which is one of the best PS3 games thus far and one of the most innovative titles of the past 5 years. It horrifies me that PS3 owners don't know this game exists, or can't be bothered to even try the demo purely because Sega didn't blanket IGN and Gamespot in advertisements and whore the thing out like a $5 hooker. Still, hardly a surprise. You also missed Disgaea 3, which makes me cry.

And Infinite Undiscovery on the Xbox 360 side. Not an overly impressive effort from the development gods at tri-Ace, but it still mops up the excrement that was Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon quite well :D

6. Scherazade

Scherazade Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Actually, I just started playing Valkyria Chronicles tonight. I'm enjoying it, especially since it's been a while since I played a strategy RPG. And I haven't played Infinite Undiscovery yet either. I heard mixed things. Lost Odyssey was indeed underwhelming. Hopefully Hironobu Sakaguchi can do better with future titles. It might even be wise to release the games on the PS3 because they just aren't selling on the 360. I also forgot flOw and Flower. Some people don't really consider them games, but I like the unique style and beauty they bring to the table.

It continually amazes me when 'serious' gamers say with a straight face that the PS3 has no great games on it. Again, Sony just needs to get the word out. If I had to pick between my PS3 and 360, I would throw the 360 away without a second thought.

7. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

While I haven't purchased VC yet, I do plan do get it sometime in the near future.

8. Maab of the Ten Tribes

Maab of the Ten Tribes Captain Captain

For me Valkyria Chronicles was the reason alone that i own a PS3. I cant say enough of how awesome that game it. It blows me away that not many people know about it. If you are an anime fan i definitely recommend it (plus they have decided to make an anime series out of it as well).