WTF moments in TOS & TAS....

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Warped9, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Neopeius

Neopeius Admiral Admiral

I had the same reactions as I was watching it. On the other hand, it is consistent with 1st season Kirk. He's kind of a dick. "Not a diplomat" as he confesses in "Errand of Mercy."

Indeed, one of the things I didn't like about Pike in SNW in comparison is he's so darned smug and glib. Early Kirk is indecisive, snappish (though he apologizes for it -- three episodes in a row!), and more military commander than diplomat.

Vger23 likes this.
  2. 1001001

1001001 Do You Really Wanna Taste It? Moderator

3. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

I prefer both 23rd century captains to the 24th century versions who, to varying degrees, all seem like overly buttoned-up "Federation Philosophy" cult leaders. I do like Sisko...but even he falls into the "make him talk like Picard" trap too often.

Kirk and Pike feel like real people.

fireproof78 and Neopeius like this.
  4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

If I recall correctly, TBBS was being kept out of google searches due to questionable content according to their very suspect content filtering and it was killing traffic, advertising and thus the site. There was a mini crackdown on even vaguely suspect pics and posts.

So I don't think it was anyone not named Google Algorithms finding that picture objectionable.

EDIT: Ninja'd by @1001001 :p

McCoy's Disco Collar likes this.
  5. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, we talked about in in "Lines You Find Amusing" back in 2020. I'm no less disappointed we can't post the penis rock anymore but we all know what they look like.

6. Neopeius

Neopeius Admiral Admiral

Even the uninitiated in our group, watching that episode for the first time this year, gasped and giggled. "What's that in Kirk's hand?"

7. Captain Jollydark

Captain Jollydark Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The worst part of Turnabout Intruder for me, the most egregious WTF was the horrible jumpsuit the actor playing Lester was forced to wear in the mistaken belief it would make her look skinnier.

8. Noname Given

Noname Given Admiral Admiral

^^^
    And it was a story written and credited to Gene Roddenberry in the episodes opening on-screen credits. (A very forward thinking man, or so I'm told.) :angel::shifty::whistle:;)

9. Captain Jollydark

During TOS reruns in the endless summers of my youth we used to feign emergencies to trick my friend's racist mom into coming downstairs just in time for the "kiss." She actually screamed. Every damned time.

Neopeius likes this.
  10. Captain Jollydark

Yeah. He was a guy of his time. I get a little annoyed when he is lionized or imbued with saintly qualities. "Roddenberry would never approve of this." "Gene is rolling in his grave right now." I mean, come on.

The first season of TOS we see all these people in the background, people of all races and ethnicities going about their business, at work on a spaceship, doing science-y stuff. It was so cool to me as a kid. But the next year there were fewer people working in the background (budget constraints, etc.). And then S3 culminates in Turnabout Intruder. (The actor who played Janice did a brilliant job "being" Kirk though.)

Ghel likes this.
  11. Maurice

Maurice Fact Trekker Premium Member

Like many people, "Bird" was a mass of contradictions; forward thinking in some regards, cro magnon in others. He might well not approve of one regressive thing and totally accept another. :shrug:

Captain Jollydark and Neopeius like this.
  12. GNDN18

GNDN18 270 Rear Admiral

What jumpsuit?
    Whose belief?

Neopeius likes this.
  13. Jedi Marso

Jedi Marso Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Here's another WTF moment:

In WNMHGB, Kirk comments in one of his log entries that he's going to have to strand Gary Mitchell, "a man I've known for fifteen years."

At the time, Kirk is only 31 or 32, which implies he knew Mitchell from childhood, long before either attended the academy.

14. Poltargyst

Poltargyst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Posters have gone to great lengths to work out Kirk's career to fit his knowing Mitchell for 15 years at that point, but I don't think I've before read the simple idea that they knew each other from before the academy.

Neopeius likes this.
  15. Jedi Marso

Jedi Marso Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It seemed logical, because even if they are a full year into the 5 year mission when this happens, Kirk is no older than 33. Mitchell would be at least a few years younger than Kirk, in order for him to have been an academy cadet when Kirk was a lieutenant and instructor. So, a fifteen year association would mean Kirk would have known Mitchell when the latter was in about junior high school.

Really, it's just another one of those writing bloopers that translates into a continuity error; they are what they are, and fans have fun straining their brains trying to find a way to retcon them all.

I think the easiest thing to do would be re-draw Kirk's entire career path, make him 4-5 years older (under the pretense that in the 23rd Century, 40 is the new 20, or at least 31), and give his career some 'breathing room.' If you go by the idea that the 'cosmetic ages' we see on screen for the characters are actually older than they look due to 23rd Century living, then guys like Commodore Decker and Captain Tracey could have been well into their 50's or 60's, still making Kirk the youngest starship captain on record. Not only that, but Kirk's list of commendations is pretty long for a guy who has only been a commissioned officer for about 12 years.

Warped9 likes this.
  16. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would just say Kirk didn't do the math, and he misspoke. He overestimated how long he'd known Mitchell. I find it difficult to place many of my own past experiences by year, especially if I don't take the time to work it out.

Warped9 likes this.
  17. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

In “The Deadly Years” Kirk claims he is 34, but when he makes that claim he is suffering from a debilitating radiation illness causing rapid aging. We had already seen his faulty memory at work. So why must we assume his memory is exacting at tge moment ge states his current age? Could it be more likely Kirk was remembering his age when he attained his great ambition, starship command?

So maybe Kirk was 34 when he took command of the Enterprise.

wayne66 likes this.
  18. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There's just something about him that pushes Jim's buttons.

Vger23 likes this.
  19. flandry84

flandry84 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Maybe Kirk and Mitchell were in some sort of Starfleet ‘explorer’ programme together.

Phaser Two likes this.
  20. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Why does it matter when Kirk knew Mitchell? Mitchell remembers Kirk as a stack of book with legs at the academy, but nothing says they met there. This is a non issue. Even if he did, so they went to ROTC together. Kirk was, what, 17? Not sure why this is a WTF moment.

Vger23 likes this.