Would you be sad if you found out that human race would be dead in 100 years?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Jayson1, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

That's rather selfish and short-sighted. Don't you have kids?

Kemaiku likes this.
  2. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe in the long-term but with nobody monitoring the nuclear plants I got to expect things might even get worse before they get better.

Jason

3. May 20

May 20 Consumer of cookies and milk Premium Member

They won't need no stinkin' litter boxes. ;)

If I knew that humanity would be wiped out in 100 years, I'd strongly encourage my kids to NOT have kids. But no one really knows when humanity will end, and I'm really looking forward to grandchildren.

4. Leviathan

Leviathan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Short-sighted? Not really. I am leaving it to those who are here after I'm gone. It affects me not one iota if they blow up the world or sail merrily along for another million years.

Yes, I have kids. They will be out of the nest and making the decisions they are going to make. Once again, it won't affect me one iota what goes on. I'll either be in a pressboard coffin or kitty litter.

6. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

That's one way to consider it all. ;)

7. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Move the date back to, say, ten years from now, and I might care more.

Kor

8. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Who wouldn't be sad, unless they've disenfranchised themselves from humanity?

Despite all the technological progress, we've made very little headway on societal advancement. There is a tremendous amount of mental instability and cruelty pervasive throughout the world. We've seen dystopian TV shows and movies about what would happen after societal collapse. I think some of the representations are pretty close to how living conditions might be, ignoring the fictional elements (zombies, evil robots, nefarious aliens). There will be a population culling the likes of which humanity hasn't seen since the days of the Black Death or Spanish Flu. It'll be a horrible existence for some time. Who knows how long chaos will rule. Small pockets of people fending for themselves at the expense of other lives. There could be small time governments formed, attempting to regain the quality of life once had. But it'll be very rough going for at least a generation or two. Who knows. Maybe the collapse will have been so devastating to morale that people will be eager to try once more and in a more humble, civilized manner.

That is of course presuming that the Earth's ecology hasn't been so badly devastated that human beings can't feasibly survive.

9. think

think Like Spock Premium Member

waiting thru another large group of eons of time for the humans to be recreated again --- accidentally ... mmmmmm OK now that we have done that for the umpteenth time

I will be getting on with what I was doing... mmm oh yeah responding to this thread on some forum ..

10. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

There were First people... then Second people... don't know what number we're at, but likely there will be more unless the Earth's environment can't sustain this class of life form.

think likes this.
  11. think

I think they said fifth people as the first green or something...

Gary7 likes this.
  12. Doom Shepherd

Doom Shepherd Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Did I cause it? I'd be sad if it were happening, and I didn't cause it. Druther it didn't, but if it did I want to be responsible. I like it better when the horrible things that happen to me are my fault. No time-consuming casting around for someone to blame that way.

think likes this.
  13. Sir Stewart Wallace

Sir Stewart Wallace Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Everybody's dead, Dave.

Qonundrum and think like this.
  14. think

will I dream?

15. The Katatonic

The Katatonic Lieutenant Red Shirt

Nope, neither me nor my brother have had children, and 99% of the people I know who have children are bloody useless sacks of crap so I will die gladly knowing that this world will reset. Not having children was the best decision I ever made because my generation is messing it all up big time. Plus, I am adopted and my defective bloodline is best left extinct.

16. Captain Chris

Captain Chris Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Man that would suck! I’m hoping for some miricle drug that will let me live for 200 years!!

17. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

You in away have that. Just become so famous that the world will never forget you. As long as people remember you then it means your existence will continue on in the memories of others. That's why I urge you to write down ever Trekbbs thread onto paper so future generations will be able to read our threads when they no longer have things like a internet to see what we were all talking about!

Jason

18. ll StarTrekFan ll

ll StarTrekFan ll Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

There is a good book from Sir Martin Rees (physicist and Astronomer Royal in Britain) titles "Our Final Hour" that argues just to your point. That is the position in his book is that humans have a 50/50 chance of making it out of the 21st Century in good standing (that is with the prospect of any large scale decent human existence). Here is a link to the book on GoodReads if interested: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/185583.Our_Final_Hour

Also, George Carlin has a good bit on losing hope in humanity as a whole due to the pernicious nature of the Popular Culture that most people are into that encourages behavior that is not much higher than a chimpanzee instead of using our large brains for what they are really capable of. Here is a link to George Carlin talking about this topic:

I will say though, the first episode of The Next Generation deals with a lot of the cynicism in your analysis of us as a collective species. I think one of the big reasons why people love Star Trek so much (why I love Star Trek) is that it is providing a more sanguine view of humanities future in which we are able to "get our act together", use the gifts that evolution has provided for us (higher intelligence, capacity to reason, ect.) and all of the amazing possibilities that come with that.

19. Samuel

Samuel Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't want the human race to die nor do I think it is at all likely.
    War? We have fewer people dying in wars around the world today than almost any point in world history or so I've heard. Climate change? Sure some animals might go extinct and people have to move a few dozen miles inland but I've never seen it suggested this is an ELE.

20. ralfy

ralfy Captain Captain

ll StarTrekFan ll likes this.