Worf and sexism

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Thomas Elliot, Apr 26, 2020.

1. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Klingon culture is sexist. Probably a hair less sexist than modern human culture.

Worf, individually I would not consider sexist. All of Worf's romantic interests are people who are emotionally above him and he respects. He believes that the personality of the average woman has different characteristics than the personality of the average man, but that's not sexist as long as it doesn't cause negative behavior toward women who don't conform to that 'Average'.

2. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

Trek has a habit of turning an emotional condition and anthropomorphizing it a whole species, probably for easier audience digestion regarding "the human condition" since the whole series is an allegory on human behavior, or IMHO it comes across better as an allegory.

The inverse can also be true, since Pike was not typical of the captains of the era; makers of the pilot told the reason why a female Number One was removed after "The Cage":

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/The_Cage_(episode)

Ultimately, Roddenberry and NBC and all involved compromised and let Spock be #1...

3. Leviathan

Leviathan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sexist? Dunno...

I do find examples that both males, females, and non-corporeal beings are represented kicking Worfs ass:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...I'd suggest that anyone in the trekverse has an equal opportunity to beat Worf up.

saladdays likes this.
  4. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Klingons are kind of unique in that men and women are treated equal in terms of soldiers. Yet they also have lots of rules when it comes to the houses and even the government. I think it might be a case were the sexism is mostly located in the houses were those people are basically royalty but your average Klingon like Martock of course was basically your everyman with no pure bloodlines or anything like that. Yet even he followed traditions when he did get a House and it seems the man owns the House but the Women runs them and he has little say and I get it that his wife was someone more into that tradition than him since he married into royalty.

Jason

5. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

I could be wrong, but I don't remember ever seeing a Klingon woman in command of a ship, or as a flag officer, aside from Lursa and B'Etor who were basically running their own independent operation in GEN.

Kor

6. Soong-type Android

Soong-type Android Captain Captain

What about L'Rell in Star Trek: Discovery?

7. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

I consider DISCO a separate, standalone thing which is disconnected from the rest of the Trek continuity.

Kor

Tenacity likes this.
  8. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One the elements I hated about the character which he was a punching bag for the opposition to appear threatening. Just imagine if that same treatment was given to Tasha Yar?

9. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

She was murdered by a puddle for that reason?

10. Leviathan

Leviathan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Armus was in fact the Paramount Contract Negotiations Officer.

Guy Gardener likes this.
  11. saladdays

saladdays Captain Captain

But that doesn't make Soong-type Android wrong either.

Soong-type Android likes this.
  12. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral