Wonder Woman 2 Anticipation Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

If I'm really enjoying a movie the length doesn't matter. I was shocked upon noticing that Once Upon A Time In Hollywood was closer to three hours than two hours in length; my subjective impression while watching was that it was, like, ninety minutes long. :lol:

OTOH, sitting through Infinity War made my transatlantic flight seem even longer.

Nerys Myk and Ovation like this.
  2. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

I must confess I’ve always been flummoxed at the idea a movie is “better” if it fits some arbitrary length. A movie, like a novel, should be as long or short as it needs to tell its story. This doesn’t mean they should not be edited for clarity or cohesion in the narrative but I’ve never seen a movie or read a book where my first (or fiftieth) question was—how long is it?—in terms of anticipating its quality.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm the same, my only concern about the length is whether the length is appropriate for the story they are telling.
    They released a new trailer today at CCXP, whatever the hell that is.

Nothing really that interesting in this one.

Qonundrum likes this.
  4. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think I need to clarify a little bit. If a movie is long and it's great, than I don't care about the running time. For example, I really enjoyed Endgame and the time felt like it flew by. I'm not as big a fan of the Lord of the Rings movies because I do feel like they are too long, and in the late 2 hour mark, it starts to detract from the quality of the film for me. Best example is the third one. Yeah it ended where the books ended (I think) but I think it could have ended 20 minutes sooner and not become too self indulgent. More often than not when I'm seeing a long movie, when its finally done I start thinking about ways it could have been shorter.

5. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

It's Brazil's Comic Con. It's like the San Diego version. It's the one where Ryan Reynolds was nearly crushed by a faulty barrier last year

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh OK, thank you. There are getting to be so many of these different conventions going on, I can never remember where most of them are, other than the biggies like SDCC, NYCC, and ECCC.

7. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Man, they failed on both sides.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

9. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

Well, Patty Jenkins comes out against Whedon's Justice League movie.

"The Justice League? … No, I think that all of us DC directors tossed that out just as much as the fans did. But also, I felt that that version contradicted my first movie in many ways, and this current movie, which I was already in production on," Jenkins explained to ReelBlend. "So then, what are you going to do? I was like… you would have to play ball in both directions in order for that to work."

"The only thing I have done, and have always tried to do, is -- I knew, when Zack was doing Justice League, where she sort of ends up," she continued. "So I always tried… like, I didn't change her suit, because I never want to… I don't want to contradict his films, you know? But yet, I have to have my own films, and he's been very supportive of that. And so, I think that that Justice League was kind of an outlier. They were trying to turn one thing into, kind of, another. And so then it becomes, 'I don't recognize half of these characters. I'm not sure what's going on.'"

10. Avalon

Avalon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^^^There's a story out there that Gal Gadot refused to do Whedon's (overused and disrespectful) face-in-cleavage scene -- so Whedon did it anyway, using Gadot's stunt double. But I'm only able to trace it back to a tweet from Grace Randolph in July, and the only source she lists is herself. (She may have listed a source in her video addressing the story, I don't know.) Personally, I'm inclined to believe it happened.

https://twitter.com/GraceRandolph/status/1278402984716705794?s=20

11. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, another reason to not like her, I guess. Zach Snyder is an incompetent edgelord obsessed with objectivism, and anyone who supports his shit is not someone whose work is worth paying attention to. The first WW film seems to have been a fluke, probably only working because the screenwriter was good enough, and Gadot fit the role well enough, that the direction couldn't ruin the underlying story.

Also, I personally didn't recognize any characters in Man of Murder or Mass Murderer vs Neckbreaker: Dawn of Brooding, so I don't know what the fuck she's talking about in that regard. At least Whedon's attempt at fixing Justice League made Snyder's serial killer Batman and unheroic, murderous, Superman seem vaguely likable.

Also, the version of Diana in the first WW first film doesn't really resemble Snyder's, and the WW84 version directly contradicts the characterization (and continuity) of BvS from what we've seen, so all this Snyder worship is just stupid. The film Whedon completed works a lot better with the film WW then BvS ever did, despite its problems.

WW84 really is going to be the worst DC film since BvS, I really hope that Jenkins doesn't make another DC film, WW or otherwise. Let her go off and make more shit with Snyder. I hear he's working on adapting the works of noted asshole Ayn Rand, and that seems more Jenkins speed based on her comments.

12. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

So. Much. Yawn.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Since they worked on the first WW movie together I can kind of see why she'd side with him.

14. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Grace Randolph is a shit-stirrer desperately trying to pass herself off as a legitimate journalist, so nothing she says is in any way credible.

Avalon and Anwar like this.
  15. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

While I'm also inclined to believe it (it sounds about like Whedon's speed) I'm also disinclined to take anything Randolph puts out without verification at face value. Last I checked she's persisting with the "Lucasfilm & Pascal are/were on the outs" narrative, despite it lacking any credible evidence or verifiable sources, and flying in the face of the public behaviour of both parties. IIRC I think she did a similar thing with Gareth Edwards and the 'Rogue One' reshoots, so she has a history of trying to overblow any hint of behind the scenes drama.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
    Avalon likes this.
  16. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Wonder Woman 1984 Hosts DC FanDome Virtual World Premiere

https://www.cbr.com/wonder-woman-1984-dc-fandome-virtual-world-premiere/

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

18. The Realist

The Realist Vice Admiral Admiral

19. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral