Windows 10....one year later....disscussion, thoughts.

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Tribble puncher, Jun 6, 2016.

1. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Sounds like you have a system problem. Have you checked the logs?

2. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I'm checking a few of the online help sites for the OS and model itself, but I think it's the update system not finishing properly and causing errors. I've found "incomplete update" notices that weren't showing at the time. It's been interrupting drivers when certain programs are running. The problem last night though looks like the Wifi glitched when logging in for some reason.

3. Amaris

Amaris Guest

It sounds like you're going to have to do a fresh install.

4. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

How? it's out of the box.

5. Amaris

Amaris Guest

6. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Oh, well it's working alright at the moment so I'll wait and see if it was just one or two setup hiccups first. But it's been worrying how many little things are acting weird so far.

Amaris likes this.
  7. Amaris

Amaris Guest

My initial install of Windows 10 had a lot of little issues. When I did a clean install, most of them disappeared. So far this new computer doesn't seem to have that problem, but I'm ready to do a fresh install if it looks like it will.

8. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Ahh, I think some programs like Steam still aren't entirely compatible as they were on previous versions too, that one causes issues. Minecraft, despite being bought by M$ long enough ago, crashes after a few seconds every time so far.

9. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

I've not had a single issue with Steam and 10.

Amaris likes this.
  10. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Hm, I really think you need to do a fresh install. Backup all of your files, folders, and favorite settings, and do a clean install, because it sounds like the system is becoming more unstable every day.

11. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

If it'still a brand new machine, It could be a hardware issue, I had a Samsung laptop a few years ago, had numerous issues, thought it was software, but turns out it was hardware problem.

12. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I haven't used Steam too much on Win10 but it has been ok so far (as has Origin).

There are one or two games that haven't been entirely happy (Jade Empire for one and the disc versions of Kotor - but the steam version of Kotor has been fine)

13. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Microsoft seem to be doing tickering the around the edges but nothing too major yet there have been 3 insider fast track builds in the past week.

glad I'm now paying for unlmited internet given that's 10GB in downloads to little real avail.

Amaris likes this.
  14. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Yeah, I'm glad I don't have a bandwidth cap with Time Warner, or I'd be pissed with the size and frequency of these downloads that seem not to be doing much on the home user end.

15. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

I'm liking it.

During my first month or two I reverted to Windows 7 but then decided "what the hell" and put it back. I'm loving it. Smooth fast, and blazes on an SSD.

16. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

Yea I won't be too thrilled with it. I'm unlimited for now, but if I quit next year, cable-wise, I'll be limited to 250gb a month. Not to mention lack of space on my laptop. Really, Microsoft? I only have so much space to work with. :lol:

Amaris likes this.
  17. sojourner

I'm running my Windows 10 on a 55gb SSD and still have almost half of the drive left in free space. Not sure what you guys are doing?

18. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Bandwidth. This is about Microsoft's frequent updates that use large amounts of internet bandwidth.

Random_Spock likes this.
  19. sojourner

Random_Spock mentioned limited space on his laptop. I was just pointing out that Win10 has a pretty small footprint.

20. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Some updates do increase the size of the Windows 10 installation, but aside from that, when one downloads an update that can be anywhere from 1 to 12 GB in size, it can put the squeeze on hard drives which are already feeling the pressure. Remember that while the program is installing, it needs a significant chunk of HDD space in which to use as a swap. @Random_Spock is likely worried that one of these installs or updates will hit the hard limit on his HDD.

Random_Spock likes this.