Will Sam Beckett Return Home? NBC Orders Quantum Leap Reboot Pilot

Damn. Not surprising, but a bit disappointing after the second season ended on such an interesting cliffhanger. Oh well, that's life on television.

In one sense, it's a cliffhanger; in another, it's a resolution, because Ben and Addison finally get to be together -- and Addison finally gets to be the Leaper like she was trained to be. Although it's disappointing we won't get to see how they work together.

They used a new term in the final.
The quantum bubble protects us here in the present.
Pretty sure they already used 'quantum bubble' in season one.

Edit: Found it. It was in the season one finale.

Ian "Because we've never directly messed with our own timelines before. Until Ben finishes the leap,
everything is in flux. The phenomenon is called..."

Magic "Don't tell me. ...Nanowave nullifier. ...Space-time suppressor."
Ian "Quantum bubble."
Magic "Of course."

Last edited:

Disappointing, but in a way, unsurprising. The original QL struggled in the ratings, and only got renewed because NBC head Brandon Tartikoff was a big supporter of the show and kept it around when anyone else would've cancelled it.

Wasn't it on the bubble by season 3?

Damn. This is the first revival that actually felt like it was connected to the original show, that actually paid its respect, and didn't just reimagine everything and ignore what came before. Its about the only modern show I'm even watching. This sucks.

Damn. This is the first revival that actually felt like it was connected to the original show, that actually paid its respect, and didn't just reimagine everything and ignore what came before. Its about the only modern show I'm even watching. This sucks.
That it was connected to the original was its biggest weakness, what's the point without Scott Bakula and Dean Stockwell (RIP)? It should have been a straight up reboot if they couldn't get Bakula. They also should have trusted the original's premise more, it succeeded because of the great chemistry Sam and Al had and because we really got to know the people Sam met each episode, it made helping them and fixing things the major part of the story. The new show cut away to the present every 5 minutes doing some science/tech/conspiracy/government stuff and none of it was necessary. They paid lip service to the original show but completely missed the point.

Maybe Netflix will give it the Manifest treatment and do a limited series that can wrap it in a bow… AND involve Sam’s resolution as well.
Not going to happen. The show isn't on Netflix so there's zero incentive for them to save it and Bakula most likely wouldn't participate anyway. If he wanted to do it he would have appeared already, it's not like the doors weren't wide open.

I just learned about the cancellation news. That sucks. Sigh. I was hoping a Scott Bakula cameo was still going to happen at some point.

Bakula already refused. He waited decades for a revival and they only wanted him for a couple guest apperances a year. He basically told them to kick rocks. The show always wanted him / assumed they could get him, so the continuation was baked into its DNA, right down to Al's daughters involvement.

I would have been happier with her as the hologram, tbh. But overall I enjoyed the show, and didn't mind the modern stuff, as it seemed to be building a time travel mystery, and because i really like Ernie hudson.

That it was connected to the original was its biggest weakness, what's the point without Scott Bakula and Dean Stockwell (RIP)? It should have been a straight up reboot if they couldn't get Bakula. They also should have trusted the original's premise more, it succeeded because of the great chemistry Sam and Al had and because we really got to know the people Sam met each episode, it made helping them and fixing things the major part of the story. The new show cut away to the present every 5 minutes doing some science/tech/conspiracy/government stuff and none of it was necessary. They paid lip service to the original show but completely missed the point.

Not going to happen. The show isn't on Netflix so there's zero incentive for them to save it and Bakula most likely wouldn't participate anyway. If he wanted to do it he would have appeared already, it's not like the doors weren't wide open.

Manifest wasn’t on Netflix, was it? They optioned it after NBC canceled it, I thought.

Manifest wasn’t on Netflix, was it? They optioned it after NBC canceled it, I thought.
It was added to Netflix shortly before the cancellation and did great which is why they renewed it for a final season.
With Netflix not having streaming rights for Quantum Leap I don't think it would even be possible for them to do anything even if they wanted to. New episodes should go to the services who already have deals in place I think.

Manifest got huge numbers on Netflix (whatever that means) so they picked it up for a final season.

Netflix doesn't save shows as often as they used to since they have plenty of their own stuff now.

Of all the shows canceled that had a lot of buzz, surprised no one picked up Prodigal Son.

Back