Will Sam Beckett Return Home? NBC Orders Quantum Leap Reboot Pilot

I'll never understand why people think Sam Beckett needed to be "saved." The finale told us that he had been the one in control of his leaps all along, that he could return home whenever he wanted if he just embraced that understanding, but instead he chose to keep leaping and helping others. He wasn't lost, he made a conscious choice to put altruism above self-interest. That is not something that needs to be corrected or undone.

I'll never understand why people think Sam Beckett needed to be "saved." The finale told us that he had been the one in control of his leaps all along, that he could return home whenever he wanted if he just embraced that understanding, but instead he chose to keep leaping and helping others. He wasn't lost, he made a conscious choice to put altruism above self-interest. That is not something that needs to be corrected or undone.

Would that make Sam kind of immortal if he kept on leaping and leaping?

Hard to say, since it's all made up and never followed very coherent rules to begin with. But it's conceivable that taking control of his leaps might be the first step toward evolving into some state of existence transcending time and space.

Hard to say, since it's all made up and never followed very coherent rules to begin with. But it's conceivable that taking control of his leaps might be the first step toward evolving into some state of existence transcending time and space.

I mean that's how I always looked at the end of the original. Sam would just keep leaping and helping people and maybe change or evolve, maybe he becomes like the Bartender dude and takes his place, or just keeps on leaping.

That as well though he seemed unsure even when he was told that.
He seemed to get it pretty quickly though. He leaped in his own body to the exact time and place that he meant to. Although leaping inside Beth's house was a risky move. Luckily for him she was willing to listen to the strange man who suddenly appeared in her home. ;)

Last edited:
No, because there's a brief scene where the character of Stawpah leaps out of the bar, and no one replaces him. Sam notices this, and says "That's probably because he was dead." So apparently, even leapers don't live forever.

So apparently, even leapers don't live forever.
I don't remember a single instance, but what if Sam got hurt? Would he also remained hurt during the next leap? What if he needed a dentist? It wouldn't even be possible to cure a cavity, since the dentist would see an image of the teeth of the person Sam had leaped into.

I don't remember a single instance, but what if Sam got hurt? Would he also remained hurt during the next leap? What if he needed a dentist? It wouldn't even be possible to cure a cavity, since the dentist would see an image of the teeth of the person Sam had leaped into.
One episode involved Sam leaping into the body of a convicted murderer, who was sentenced to die by electrocution. At the very end of that story, Sam leaps just as the electric chair's switch is pulled.

The show got cancelled due to lack of interest. I don't see a movie and a spin-off and a crossover happening any time soon.

Conceding that you're probably right, I would point out that the same network did exactly that for another low-rated time travel show (Timeless).

The dentist might see that, but what would the X-rays show?

I saw that as a last-minute change, by the episode's writers. "Mirror Image" was originally supposed to just be the Season 5 finale, and Season 6 would've been set up as Al becoming an additional Leaper himself. But at the last moment, NBC pulled the plug...so Donald Bellisario and everyone else had to quickly change the nature of the story. At least four endings to "Mirror Image" were scripted, and two were filmed. At the time NBC's decision was made, Scott Bakula, Dean Stockwell, and Donald Bellisario all openly expressed their anger about it...and as a fan, I can't say I blame them.

Conceding that you're probably right, I would point out that the same network did exactly that for another low-rated time travel show (Timeless).
That movie was originally intended to be a season premiere and had already been filmed when the cancellation announcement was made, and this was in the days before you could toss finished product in the vault and get a tax write-off, so it made more sense for them to air it.

Has anyone hear ever seen or even heard about a shortlived Bakula series adaptation of Mr and Mrs. Smith?

I remember being aware of it, at least. Wikipedia says it co-starred Maria Bello and Roy Dotrice, so it's possible that interested me enough to watch it, but I don't recall if I did. (I don't think Bakula alone would've been a draw for me.) It was cancelled after 9 episodes, though 13 were made.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._&_Mrs._Smith_(1996_TV_series)

I remember being aware of it, at least. Wikipedia says it co-starred Maria Bello and Roy Dotrice, so it's possible that interested me enough to watch it, but I don't recall if I did. (I don't think Bakula alone would've been a draw for me.) It was cancelled after 9 episodes, though 13 were made.

its one of the very few shows that i can not find anything on - no torrents, no bootlegs, no pirate copies, no low quailty streams, nothing. i've archived so many absolutely obscure, cancelled, shortlived and hard to find shows over the years in one form or another, but on this one.... nothing. i am so incredibly intrigued. lol.

Maybe Sam leaps for so long he someday becomes God. He already has the ethical and moral code you would want a God to have. Perhaps future Leapers become like Angels and the Bartender was one such person.

As a resideint of the Puget Sound, I see that this series was filmed in and around Seattle. I have no recollection of there being any promotion on the local CBS affiliate hyping the series being shot locally.

Edit to add - Looking at the air dates I realize that this series aired during the UPN/CBS debacle here in Seattle, where the two stations had to switch affiliates, and CBS wound up on the low wattage signal out of Tacoma. If you didn't have cable or a good line of sight antenna to receive the signal, picking up the CBS station was next to impossible.

Last edited:
Back