Why was the ending of ST 6 changed on the blu-ray?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by locutus1, May 4, 2020.

1. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

This is not the Mandela Effect. That refers to multiple people sharing an incorrect memory.

2. Phoenix219

Phoenix219 Commodore Commodore

Nothing about it requires a mass number of people. There are people with "personal MEs" all over the internet. When you are convinced that your memory is different from reality, and experience that disconnect, it is a Mandela Effect.

Last edited: May 10, 2020
  3. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

One person misremembering something is just a false memory. Multiple people misremembering something the same way is the Mandela Effect. Anything referred to as ME where it's just one person is mislabeled.

I used to call it Darklighter Syndrome back in the '00s but it never caught on. ;)

4. Indysolo

Indysolo Commodore Commodore

It wasn't really "unannounced." The front cover of the first home video release specifically says, "Special Home Video Version." You can see the LaserDisc cover here. The VHS tapes said it was well.

Also note that Rene Auberjonois's name is not listed in the credits, because he was cut out of the original release of the movie.

Neil

5. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Yes, but until fans actually started renting, watching and reviewing it, there was no attention to the addition of those scenes in the pre-publicity. At least that I saw.

6. TheMadCloner

TheMadCloner Captain Captain

Thread turns from a heated argument about TUC into a spirited debate about TME. ;)

7. suarezguy

suarezguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Glad that it was released, I'm a bit of a purist for theatrical version, but some of the framing did look odd, especially, at least I remember, the shots of Sulu and Kirk talking through viewscreen near the end.

8. helen forbes

helen forbes Cadet Newbie

The dvd of star trek 6 special edition from 2004 has all the cut scenes included.... colonel west and so on. here is good comparison of what it has compared to the other version on blu-ray.

dupersuper and Tiberius like this.
  9. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

Hang on - are you saying that there were faces that flashed on the screen during Spock's forced mind meld with Valeris?

I just checked my copy, I ripped it from the director's cut DVD. The Operation Retrieve scene as well as the Scooby Doo ending are there, but in the mind meld scene there are no flashes of faces.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2022
  10. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

None of them are marked as a Director's Cut on DVD as far as I'm aware. The first DVD of ST6 was the "home release" edit, then came the "Special Collector's Edition" two disc (which has the "flashback faces" added, then later on they finally got around to releasing the theatrical cut on DVD.

If your copy of the film has Colonel West in it but no faces during the meld, that's the "Home Release" edit.

Therin of Andor likes this.
  11. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

Ah, thanks for that.

Watching that YouTube video that Helen posted just above me, I have to say that I much prefer the no-faces version. Makes it look like an episode of "The Federation's Most Wanted" or something... And that sound they played, urgh. Really cheesy, not what I would expect in a well-produced movie.

Therin of Andor likes this.
  12. helen forbes

helen forbes Cadet Newbie

Looks like I will be triple dipping and get the 4K release in September with 2 cuts of the movie, hope one of them will have the colonel West scenes intact.

13. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Most likely, Colonel West was a Starfleet Marine.
    (Indeed, doesn't the phrase "Starfleet Marine Corps" actually appear on West's Operation Retrieve plans?)

14. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

???
    Of course they will be intact because that is part of the Extended Cut (Director's cut).
    It says right on the cover of the UHD that it contains the director's cut.

15. Kaelef

Kaelef Captain Captain

That scene in the President's office with Colonel West making his case using a large paper pad always drove me crazy. That, and the giant red LED clock they stuck on the bridge of the Enterprise were so ridiculously anachronistic, even back in 1991.

16. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

I have seen the version with the retrieve and Scooby doo scene loads of times but never the faces either

17. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

I must confess I've never gotten around to getting and watching the 2004 Special Edition with the faces, either.
    Since that is considered the Director's Cut, this means that the 4K release will have that version, and the theatrical version, but not the funky home video version. So the home video version will never have been released in high definition. I guess that might bother some completists, or those who like the Scooby-Doo ending and other assorted inserts, but not the faces during the mind meld. Oh well.

Kor

18. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

Upon watching the clip with the faces on, I think it looks absolutely dreadful and cheesy.

DonIago, Daddy Todd and Kor like this.
  19. suarezguy

suarezguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think the showing faces (and then not showing anything) made it too obvious, too soon, that Valeris didn't know the location of the conference, less effective.

20. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Made what too obvious?