Why Was Equinox So Bad?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by JB2005, Oct 7, 2011.

1. jpch

jpch Commander Red Shirt

Delta Quadrant Borg Queen appartement 8472
    im not gonna argue about Cpt Rudy...he knew exactly what he was doing...go watch the episode again and its clearly a repulsive mass murder...

What i am gonna Discuss is your borg argument.

1/ The Sphere was heavily damaged,Voy tried to steal a transwarp coil to get home faster...coz at the start of the episode the borg considered them a threat and wanted to assimilate them <.<

conclusion? Borg are hostile. the creatures that have been transformed into fuel are cute flying peaceful things considered spirits of good fortune by the Ankari race.

2/ Janeway shot 1 Borg Drone -.-. 1 drone got shot and there is no evidence he died...we all know how much the borg regenerate or maybe the weapons were on stun...

3/ how exactly did you see 1000 drones dying ;)?

4/ XD you must be one hell of a Voyager hater to compare shooting 1 evil Borg drone by Janeway to a Mass murder of a peaceful race done by Rudy. LOL

i just have 1 hope that people one day would stop criticizing Voy without getting all their facts straight.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  2. jpch

jpch Commander Red Shirt

Delta Quadrant Borg Queen appartement 8472

That is a very logical point :vulcan: :D finishes the entire argument

3. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wouldn't you rather be dead than be a slave?
    Death is freedom.

4. Killandra

Killandra Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I also would have to agree. The truth of the matter is there are some situations that we wouldn't know what we'd do until faced with those circumstances, especially when it comes to survival. We all like Janeway, would hope we wouldn't result to Equinox's actions and would be appalled by them, but honestly, I can't say whether or not I'd do the same as Ransom and his crew. For survival, look at how many people have resulted to cannibalism...*shrug*

5. exodus

Exactly.
    Ransoms point was right when he told Janeway that she might make the same choices if faced with a starving, dying crew. We've seen how Janeway goes off the rails when under extreme stress. We've seen Janeway become Ransom like in "Endgame"due to her grief of loss.

6. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ransom was only in trouble because he persisted in trying to go home when he clearly should have found an empty planet and set up house.

He lost half his crew in his first month.

Earth is no longer an option.

janeway kept going because she encounted no rough opposition, but there had to be a point where she would have to have stopped and said to her self, I'm not up to this and if I keep going every one I know and love is going to die.

Janeway was no where near such a point.

(She got close in Year of Hell.)

Rudy persisted for 65 months after the point he should have thrown in the towel and he'd dead, and so is 85 percent of the crew he had left after the first insane month.

7. G2309

G2309 Captain Captain

If the aliens weren't sentient why would it be any different than eating the worms in basics? You make a good point guy maybe they were given hope by finding that worm hole.

8. The_Baron

The_Baron Captain Captain

Well, theres killing to stay alive, and theres killing to make your life a bit easier.

I suppose it's similar to how most people don't have a problem with eating meat, but they do with killing an animal just to make a coat from their fur. Braxton had the option to settle on a planet, or to head home at normal-warp speed like Janeway. Sure, it was gonna be tough either way, but it was do-able. He chose to make his journey quicker by slaughtering a bunch of wibbly beasts, which in turn, made his journey alot more difficult than it would have been otherwise.

9. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Ransom, not Braxton. Braxton was the time captain.

10. Sandoval

Sandoval Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Somehow I would've expected Voyager finding another Starfleet ship to be more of an event than it was - clearly this concept was always an ace hidden up the sleeves of the producers since day one, I think a hell of a lot more could've been done with it.

Mind you those nucleogenic beasties really do wonders for a Starfleet warp engine. When you consider that Voyager made several big jumps in the years before it happened upon the Equinox yet the two ships were in the same place at the end of 2375:

10,000LY in The Gift
    300LY in Hope and Fear
    2,500LY in Night
    20,000LY in Dark Frontier

Factor in the 'normal' progress Voyager was making that's almost 35,000LY that the Equinox managed to cover, largely it would seem down to stoking the warp engines with those creatures - forget quantum slipstream or transwarp coils.

Stuff it, I think I'd throw a few of them on the fire as well.

11. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Equinox was so bad because it did not set up the seasons long character developing 'integrating the Equinox staff into the Voyager crew' arc it required, in the same way as they didn't do the necessary 'integrating the Maquis' stuff over the first few seasons.

:(

12. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Ordinarily you would think that, and your math works out. However, the actual plot of the episodes doesn't seem to support that (plothole). Voyager was able to track down the race that introduced Equinox to the inter-spatial aliens. If Equinox had been jumping around 1000ly at a time, how the hell was Voyager able to track down the race that gave them the technology? None of it made sense.

13. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

They cut the scene where Janeway discreetly pulps a few of the aliens so Voyager can backtrack to the pied piper planet.

somebuddyX likes this.
  14. The_Baron

Ah yes! My bad! I knew that too....

15. The_Baron

Which suggests that Ransom had only fairly recently come across those aliens, so how in the hell did he get so far without them?

To be honest the worst thing about Equinox is that they pronounce it "Eee-quinox" and not "Eh-quinox" and it gets me doing the same. *grump*

16. Disruptor

Disruptor Commodore

I haven't seen the episodes in years, but when I hear about the nucleogenic aliens I always seem to think of Watto from Star Wars: The Phantom Menace.

And I'd kill the crap out of Watto to fuel my ship! :evil:

somebuddyX likes this.
  17. exodus

Good points but factor in the amount of times Voyager had to retrace their steps to rescue somebody.....and oddly the off screen times they had to touch down to repair the ship. I assumed Equinox never went back for anybody, clean never/couldn't stop to repair the ship. So IMO, for them they were continuously jumping ahead.

Voyager wouldn't have to travel back to the place of origin to make contact with that species. Didn't Ransom say that culture worshiped them as God's? If so, all you would have to do is track down one member of the species who's a trader that carried the "religious" device to summon them. Assuming none of that culture is Athists, all of them should be carrying one.

American regional pronunciation, I would assume.
    Much like how here in NYC "this" is pronounced "dis".

[RIGHT]
    [/RIGHT]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  18. JB2005

JB2005 Commodore Commodore

A death which you are imposing on them without knowing their wishes...not saying you're wrong, just saying that you go from the imposition of slavery to the imposition of death...

19. exodus

If the Borg are a hive mind, then they have no individual wishes or desires. We've seen from Seven and Hugh, that newly severed drones only wish is to return to slavery. Are you really imposing anything on someone that's lost the the ability to think rationally for themselves? No matter how much Seven tries to regain her humanity, she will always have a damaged psyche due to being bent to the Borg's will. She is still 7of9 and not Annika because she knows this. Picard is still messed up from his assimilation. You can never fully save someone that's been a drone for a period of time.

20. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

The only time they did this, and honestly did it right, was with Seven.

:)