Why the soft reboot?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Admiral Jean-Luc Picard, Aug 17, 2020.

1. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Wikipedia is not an awful place to start, but it is by no means an authoritative or reliable source across the board. That's bullshit. So is trying to pass off the phrase "factually representative" as suggestive of "highly accurate." So is a single citation of a single article.

Digificwriter is digging themselves in deeper, here. No, the original intention was not to include adult Spock in season two.

The Wormhole, Qonundrum and BillJ like this.
  2. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

In which case, I'll sign up for the streaming service the moment they make "Barney & Friends: The Next Generation" where instead of the kids they'll bring in Freddy, Jason, Johnny, Chucky (and his bride), and of course John Gustafson and Max Goldman- those grumpy old men living in their cabin in the woods... and for a sweeps week they'll get Elvira Mistress of the Dark... wait, swapping out what made B&F unique compared to other franchises yet keeping the name because people will flock to anything that a dug up dead brand name is attached to? Why not just make a new show that sets up its own universe and expectations?

(The exception is DS9... then again, while it expanded the universe along with the main guts of the franchise that helped tie in and keep interest instead of alienating them, it got a ship too when they ran out of ideas for the people stuck on a rented galactic bus terminal to do. The other exception is TNG, except it found different facets of the same themes while keeping the same universe and tropes with the ship and exploring the galaxy and with Federation issues. It's sad when even Doctor Who, originally a serious show with some nominal educational value becomes a superficial comedy of no value featuring a self-aware drug addict screeching "I'm a madman with a box!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!", has done better in its current visage...)

plynch likes this.
  3. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

Any college will say the same thing, regarding references for college papers, theses, and so forth. And yet many a college kid will still take the dare and use it anyway... :lol: Then the instructor, for the fifth time, reprimands by giving a "B+" grade for the piece instead of disqualifying it. :guffaw:

4. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Your memory remembers the same thing that my memory remembers.

5. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"theirs was a love that transcended death"
    - purple prose -
    They never really seemed all that passionate to me, frankly. Though it is realistic, that irl same-sex love would be as mundane and un-fantastic (not fantasy) as any hetero love. What was filmed was more realistic than Cruz's rhetoric, esp. in light of how the story turned out.

6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I remember a line from American Dad. "It's funny, gay couples lie to each other just like straight couples do." :lol:

7. mattman8907

mattman8907 Commodore Commodore

I don’t know why but I would love if he would play Robert April.

8. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Richard Dean Anderson is a bit old now at 70. Plus I don’t think he acts anymore

9. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

That's true, he gave it up after season 2 of SG-1.

BillJ likes this.
  10. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He put on a ton of weight after a leg surgery and having to take some steroids a decade ago. He's barely recognizable any longer.