Why the soft reboot?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Admiral Jean-Luc Picard, Aug 17, 2020.

1. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Sorry folks, there's an entire forum for arguing pointlessly about Star Wars. This is a forum for arguing pointlessly about Star Trek. Huge difference. Huge.

Anyway, back to Discovery, please.

2. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My point was simply I think it's plausible fan reactions influence showrunners. It undid Culber's death. It got SNW going.

3. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Francis Tonay likes this.
  4. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Fan reaction did not undo Culber's death. They informed us the day after the episode aired (perhaps even that night), before there could even be fan out lash, that he was coming back. It was the plan from the start.

fireproof78 likes this.
  5. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

"Despite Yourself" first aired 1/7/18. The interview @DigificWriter linked to was published 1/8/18.

So it looks like Culber's return was indeed planned. If there was a huge outcry, it would've taken longer than the next day for Entertainment Weekly to publish that article. Probably a week or two at the earliest. I was skeptical as well, but the dates line up with what they're saying.

burningoil likes this.
  6. TimeIsAPredator

TimeIsAPredator Commodore Commodore

Kinda takes away some of the impact when you tell everyone the dead guy is alive right away

Lord Garth likes this.
  7. Charles Phipps

Charles Phipps Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Easy to jump the gun there.

8. Lord Garth

I don't disagree. This is the first time I actually went ahead to track down the exact timing to see if it was true.

I personally didn't know they were planning to bring him back until later. Then when I heard "It was always the plan", I thought "Yeah right! It was actually pressure from the LGBT Community." But the dates back up what they say. So, yeah.

EDIT: After the episode was made but before it was aired, someone behind the scenes must've realized what the reaction to Culber's Death would be and how bad it would look. So I think Wilson Cruz was allowed to reveal the plan to Entertainment Weekly as Damage Control.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
    burningoil and fireproof78 like this.
  9. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It could have been a situation like when they killed Martok and Weyoun in DS9, where they realized "WTF did we do? He's great!" and walked back the death immediately after filming ended. Then it wouldn't have been the original plan, but it would also have been something decided well before airing.

Lord Garth likes this.
  10. EnderAKH

EnderAKH Commodore Premium Member

I'll be honest, I am not interested enough to check, but my memory is Wilson Cruz was a guest on After Trek which aired immediately following the episode, and I believe he said there that Culber and Stamets story wasn't over, this was just the first chapter, and theirs was a love that transcended death.

Turtletrekker and jaime like this.
  11. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

That was my recollection as well. But AfterTrek was pretty terrible so I have no desire to go back to watch that.

EnderAKH likes this.
  12. Lord Garth

Yeah, I couldn't stand that host. Like I said before, he reminded me of someone I actually knew IRL at the time. Looked just like him and acted just like him. So I couldn't watch that and not cringe every time, while thinking "Shut the fuck up!"

13. Charles Phipps

They totally should keep Will permanently for the role.

Turtletrekker and Lord Garth like this.
  14. plynch

I'm real tired of the dead-not dead thing.

Maybe now it's a thing, it's even sadder if the writers don't resurrect someone. "Aw dang, they stayed dead." Like they die twice if they stay dead. Since plot-magic might have raised them.

But didn't.

15. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's tough...characters not staying dead.

16. plynch

The theatre's certainly not what it was.

BillJ likes this.
  17. fireproof78

I miss old Billy Shakespeare and all his death. Those people knew how to stay dead.

plynch, The Wormhole and dupersuper like this.
  18. Isaac Lawrence

Isaac Lawrence "NASA’s Kepler Space Telescope" Red Shirt

One thing I want to see as a result of the "soft reboot" is less wearing of the uniforms.

I like Discovery's uniforms - they're my third favorite behind the mock turtlenecks of "The Cage" (well, provided those even count since it's not canon... *I can't believe I just typed that*), and the asymmetrical collars on the nuPike and Spock and nuNumber One's uni's - but since there's no Federation what do they need uniforms for?

Early on and going by nearly all of the images that we've seen so far it looks as though I'm going to get my wish. Hopefully that'll hold for the most part for the entire season.

[Okay, yeah, I guess the uniforms from "The Cage" do count, it's just that the episode itself isn't canon, except for the parts in "The Menagerie"/"If Memory Serves."]

*And... yeah, it's getting late... :shifty:

Oh, and I hope they don't use the sphere data as too much of a deus ex machina. I suppose they might use it as a way to update the Discovery in some way or something so it's not too out of date, but I hope they don't get too crazy with it.

Also, it'll of course be interesting to see if they use anything from “Calypso” this season; going to Alcor IV or if the Discovery's computer becomes Zora for some reason...

19. fireproof78

Yes, it is.

Turtletrekker and dupersuper like this.
  20. Charles Phipps

I think it's the complicated issue of "It's canon because the Menagerie is canon."

BillJ likes this.