Why hasn't DS9 been represented in NuTrek?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by ELCHawk, May 30, 2022.

1. ELCHawk

ELCHawk Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

TNG has Picard. Voyager has Prodigy. TOS has SNW. DS9 may be the best Trek of all time (along with TNG) but other than Odo it hasn't been represented in the new shows. Sisko, Mortok, and Dukot have been mentioned on a different reality in Picard. There is a ship named after Nog. That is it. There are so many interesting stories and characters that a lot of fans would love to see. I am hoping possibly one of the shows would be called Star Trek: Sisko. I get it could be difficult to convince Avery Brooks. However, they convinced Patrick Stewart. I would much rather see a Sisko show than an Academy show. Just frustrating that the show is getting such little respect.

2. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

sometimes the best respect is putting something up on a pedestal where it won't be tampered with.

Besides, O'Brien got his giant golden statue in the far future

3. NewHeavensNewEarth

NewHeavensNewEarth Commodore Commodore

I'd be kinda interested in seeing the wormhole with today's modern effects and sound. It was cool before, and I'm sure they could make it even more awe-inspiring today.

DS9 is my favorite Trek as well, but I'm ok with how things wrapped up when the series was done. If they decide to expand on it, that's fine, but otherwise I'm not especially concerned about it.

4. kkt

kkt Commodore Commodore

If they did redo DS9, I'd be happy keeping the same effects for the wormhole. They worked really well and revising them wouldn't be worth breaking the continuity of the series.

Fortunately (?) it looks like we don't have to worry about them redoing the series.

5. Ragitsu

Ragitsu Commodore Commodore

Count your blessings.

Freman, WAMTNG, Shazam! and 5 others like this.
  6. Citiprime

Citiprime Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Deep Space Nine (the station) is seen in Lower Decks and I've seen some rumors that ...

Martok will appear in season 3 of Lower Decks.

7. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, we do see the outside of the station in Lower Decks.

I think the bigger frustration is that they keep teasing involvement of D9 elements. The Picard trailer for season 2 had the Bajoran tablet from The Reckoning. They went to 2024--even visited a sanctuary district--, but didn't do anything meaningful with the themes explored in the episode. Quark's Bar in season 1.

WarpTenLizard and DS9forever like this.
  8. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

We know that Quark has franchised his bar and has at least three locations outside of the Bajor system.

9. NewHeavensNewEarth

NewHeavensNewEarth Commodore Commodore

We also saw a changeling in Discovery season 4.

FanST and WarpTenLizard like this.
  10. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

You could argue they're showing respect by leaving it alone. DS9 had a definitive ending which has remained in tact for nearly quarter of a century.

Look at Picard S2, then imagine if TNG's story wrapped with the end of S7. Sure, you might have wanted more. But hey - All Good Things.

The final shot of Kira and Jake was perfect. Just leave it be.

11. Charles Phipps

Charles Phipps Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Like Jadzia Dax!"

"No, I don't know who that is. Like Spock!"

- Lower Decks and how DS9 is known by even fellow Trekkies

12. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Have you seen Shatner's interviews with all the captains? Avery Brooks was extraordinarily eccentric in his segment. Based on that, I'm not sure he is someone eager to return to TV work. His last TV credit was 2004.

13. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

@Citiprime, I REALLY hope that rumor turns out to be true. :techman: :klingon:

That said, probably the closest thing to a DS9 callback any of the other series would do would be just to have Dax turn up.

14. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

There's no need for Sisko to be present on a DS9 revisit. Just say that after he returned, he retired to Bajor.

But consider that many of it's best characters had scattered. Worf left with Martok. O'Brien returned to Earth. Odo joined the Great Link. Ezri and Bashir were in a romance few people cared about. Most of the most popular minor characters were dead.

15. kkt

kkt Commodore Commodore

If he wanted to be working in TV, I'm sure he would be. Yes, the Captains interview seemed more like him telling Shatner, not in so many words, that he was taking the whole thing too seriously.

FanST and Bad Thoughts like this.
  16. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Seven got included in Picard because of the importance of Borg to Picard's character and, frankly, how well Jeri Ryan has aged. There's no such clear link between DS9 and the current shows because DS9 didn't retread as much of other shows' material.

17. Legate Duhmar

Legate Duhmar Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Agreed, DS9 has always been the red headed step child of Star Trek and its uniqueness was a big part of its enduring appeal. The other part of the appeal was the great writing and acting that led to a complex world of rich characters and relationships.

Making a follow up would immediately remove the uniqueness of DS9 and consequently the writing would need to be at an extremely high level to be satisfying to most fans, a level not really seen in Star Trek since DS9 and rarely in other science fiction since as well. Its probably best that its left alone, the lead is retired from acting and the show itself ended really well. Besides from what Ive heard Star Trek Online expanded Universe sounds like it did a good job with fan service and character development of the DS9 crew. Although I don't personally play vids anymore, it sounds like thats the best place for 'what if' content done in a respectful and canonical friendly way.

Bry_Sinclair, FanST and Ragitsu like this.
  18. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

If any of the post VOY shows pass through the Bajor Sector, I'm sure there will be a stop at DS9. Otherwise, it's still a pretty big Galaxy...

19. Ragitsu

Ragitsu Commodore Commodore

Plus, it will clog up search engines...and no one likes that.

20. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

There were those in the Picard thread that felt representing other shows would literally "destroy" those franchise's legacies (or something like that).

Obviously that's Top-5 level stupid, but I'd say Paramount wants to do new ideas (up til Picard S3 at least, and we don't know how that will work out).