Why Didn't People Like Jadzia Dax?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Ro_Laren, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

2. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Nope.

Nope.

3. Uhura's Song

Uhura's Song Captain Captain

Dax is my favorite DS9 crew member, hands down. Garrick is my favorite overall.

4. Mr Pointy Ears

Mr Pointy Ears Captain Captain

Give me jadzia over erzi any day of the week

Leviathan and 2takesfrakes like this.
  5. Betelnut

Betelnut Ensign Red Shirt

I never thought Farrell was that great of an actress but i didn't mind the character of Jadzia Dax. My favorite scenes with her were the ones with her and Quark (one of my favorite characters) and her and Worf. I liked how she liked Ferangis (most people despised them) and she just really had fun with Quark.

She and Worf had chemistry.

6. Stroudarian

Stroudarian Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

There really is a lot of animosity towards Jadzia, but all in all, I have to say, she is one of my favorite characters, not just from DS9 but from the entire franchise.

7. Leviathan

Leviathan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I like Jadzia.

Technically I'm not 'people' so it may skew your results a tad.

8. GreenDragonKnight

GreenDragonKnight Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well, while no one's going to disagree that she was gorgeous beyond all &&*^(^ing gorgeous, unfortunately she was also a stuck-up, snot-nosed, arrogant, vain, selfish, conceited, *something I can't say here* who found sadistic delight in torturing men. And, while they did manage to make a somewhat, semi- quasi-comedic scenario out of it on the show, I've really known some women who are like that and, in reality, there is nothing amusing about it!

9. mlbach

mlbach Captain Captain

I'm afraid that says more about you than the women you're complaining about.

Betelnut and Tosk like this.
  10. GreenDragonKnight

Just out of curiosity, are you saying that because you like the character of Jadzia and are defending her, or because you feel that you actually are in some kind of position to judge me and my relationship history? Because, if the latter, given that you know absolutely nothing about me, my personal life or my background, you have no right to judge me or anyone I've ever known. :censored:

11. kkt

kkt Commodore Commodore

Well, I will disagree that Jadzia is gorgeous beyond gorgeous. She's plenty good looking, and I wouldn't kick her out of bed for eating crackers, but she's not some one-in-a-million goddess. And I think evidence is very thin that she was stuck up, arrogant, vain, selfish, conceited, sadistic, or enjoyed torturing men. She tending to treat courting as a game and had fun with it. She was pretty straightforward with Julian that she wasn't interested, it was on him that he continued pursuing her long after that. I don't even know where you get snot-nosed.

When you brought in comparison to some real women you knew, you kind of invite that the comparison that it says more about you than Jadzia.

And for the record, I think the character of Jadzia is so-so; not developed especially well, and it's hard to tell whether that's because Farrel didn't know how to act a 300-year-old or because the writers didn't know how to write it.

Betelnut and mlbach like this.
  12. kkt

kkt Commodore Commodore

Fine! More Ezri for me! ;)

13. GreenDragonKnight

Yeah! On that we agree! Ezri wasn't as attractive but she was infinitely more likeable.

14. GreenDragonKnight

It's just another way of saying stuck-up, not that you can literally see mucous dripping from her nose or whatever you may have been thinking.

15. GreenDragonKnight

I said what I said not because I'm trying to shift the spotlight of this topic onto me. No. I was just answering the topic question: "Why didn't people like Jadzia Dax...." well, I can't answer for people, but I can certainly answer for myself. :nyah:

16. GhostLoveScore

GhostLoveScore Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I like Ezri :) She is cute. Jadzia? I don't dislike her.

GreenDragonKnight likes this.
  17. GreenDragonKnight

Hey this is off-topic but did you take your username from the Nightwish song?

18. GhostLoveScore

GhostLoveScore Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yes. One of my favorite songs from them.

19. GreenDragonKnight

Yeah buddy! Love it all: Ghost Love Score, Romanticide, Nemo, White Night Fantasy, Ocean Soul, Bless the Child... all great stuff!

20. Voth commando1

Voth commando1 Commodore Commodore

In a sub-sub atomic universe with kittens
    Jadzia did sometimes enjoy toying with or pushing buttons-she moved Odo's stuff around, interfered with Julian trying to land a date with Leeta, and had a bit of a playful if somewhat jerky attitude.

She also could indeed be arrogant or aloof.

Thing is Sisko put up with it because he was buddies with her hosts predecessor. A lot of her antics would not have been so tolerated with another captain in charge.

But besides that the character was fine-Farrel's early acting wasn't good but improved.