Why Didn't People Like Jadzia Dax?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Ro_Laren, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Voth commando1

Voth commando1 Commodore Commodore

In a sub-sub atomic universe with kittens
    I hated the Worf storyline and the only way that made sense was the total reboot of her character into a Klingon fangirl. Prior to that she was someone Sisko called old man and was the science officer.

I would have honestly been more than happy of Julian actually got Jadzia being genetically engineered made him "worthy" of her.

And farrel struggled to show that yeah she has been around 300 years.

Armus likes this.
  2. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

She was a Klingon fangirl already in Season 2's "Blood Oath." It's the episode with Kang, Koloth, and Kor. She even wields a batleth.

3. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Same.

Honestly, in the early days of DS9 Jadzia and Julian were the only reason I watched the show.

4. Danoz

Danoz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not sure I'd call it a "total reboot." For me to completely worked, it revealed the layers and depth of her character.

Worf'sParmach and Mad Jack Wolfe like this.
  5. Voth commando1

No it didn't they just all of a sudden were like oh yeah Curzon was totally into Klingons and Jadzia is just like him.

6. Danoz

Danoz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I never saw it that way. Writers can introduce new likes and interests in later seasons that simply haven't come up before -- people are complicated. And we already knew Jadzia Dax had several lifetimes of experiences, so this just isn't really a valid criticism to me.

7. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was just another layer of her experiences, and Curzon's past impacting her.

Worf'sParmach likes this.
  8. UnknownSample

UnknownSample Commodore Commodore

Well, the host's personality is still there, so Jadzia can have a lighter, younger air than you'd expect of someone centuries old. I wish J Dax had been a weightier character than she was, but as Garack once said, she
    "owned herself". In the ep entitled "Dax", I think, we saw a bit of Daxless Jadzia, and she seemed less commanding and less sure of herself. J Dax by contrast was more solid and mature and tough... just not quite enough. In particular, TF trying to "go Klingon" and get furious was silly to watch. I think she just doesn't play anger well.
    ------------
    Curzon was a diplomat. Having him/her also be a near-Klingon also somehow seemed too wedged-in.

9. Lous

Lous Ensign Red Shirt

Maybe if the whole symbiote / host thing had more attention it would be better. I was really interested in the Trills during the show, but there was not much about them and some information was mixed.

10. DamarsKanar

DamarsKanar Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I don't understand the dislike! Jadzia is one of the best characters to me. Her lust for life combined with calm sagacity made for a refreshing character, especially when female characters have so often fallen into the either/or dichotomy of tough or nurturing - not that either of those archetypes can't produce great characters - but Jadzia always brought something unique to the table for me. I fell in love with her (beyond Terry Farrell being a total 90s babe) in Blood Oath...I think it was great to see her enthusiasm and the layers of Trill identity coming to the fore. It also laid groundwork for her future relationship with Worf, which, though I understand many won't agree, I thought brought out both the best and worst in both characters and so ultimately felt sweet and passionate and believable.
    That said, I will acknowledge that Farrell didn't usually shine as an actress in comparison to many of her co-stars. She could hold a scene but I often felt like there was a woodenness to her. Now I can never decide whether that was because of the lines she was given or not. I don't think she had the best lines, the writers could definitely have elevated her character more than they did, and I'm sure Farrell could have elevated the character more as well.

Markonian likes this.
  11. Voth commando1

I hated her harassing Julian as Julian was trying to ask Leeta on a date-that wasn't the behavior of a 300 year old being with wisdom and clarity, that was just rubbing salt in Julian's wounds.

12. marlboro

marlboro Guest

Anybody besides me find the idea of the Trill slug incredibly disgusting?

13. Lous

Lous Ensign Red Shirt

A bit disgusting but very interesting

UnknownSample likes this.
  14. JonVP

JonVP Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I’ve always been a fan of Jadzia Dax and definitely liked her romance with Worf. For me this storyline felt very natural since we already knew she had a history with Klingons (through Curzon).

What I didn’t like was her dead by the hands of the Pah-Wraith "Dukat". It felt so useless. She should have gone out in a blaze of glory, manning the helm on board the Defiant.

Worf'sParmach and DamarsKanar like this.
  15. DamarsKanar

DamarsKanar Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yes! Agreed on all counts.

SolarisOne and JonVP like this.
  16. kkt

kkt Commodore Commodore

Or doing her best to hike through the jungle and extract that Federation spy wassname. That would have worked much better too.

JonVP likes this.
  17. UnknownSample

UnknownSample Commodore Commodore

I've wondered whether that was how they intended to write her out, originally.

18. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Jadzia is my favourite character on the DS9 show. I wish we could've seen her as a captain in some timeline or other. For my first ever Trek action figure, I picked Dax.

As a child, I was hoping she and Julian would get together. They even wore the same colour of uniform...:angel:

19. kkt

kkt Commodore Commodore

Pretty clearly no. They didn't know until the last episode of the season was about to be filmed that negotiations to keep Farrell on would fail. Her death scene was added at the last minute so that she wouldn't just vanish offscreen and never be mentioned again like Richie Cunningham's brother. But that's why her death scene was less meaningful than the producers and the audience would have wanted.

DamarsKanar likes this.
  20. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

^ ITA. I better scene would be place her on the ship where she is killed when her console blows up or something