Who would you want to play the captain in Trek series 6

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by jefferiestubes8, Oct 31, 2009.

1. Tarek71

Tarek71 Commodore Commodore

Yes, it was nuTrek I had in mind, and the Cult of Youth. I actually prefer they stick to ages that make sense, esp in the context of real world people in those ranks. Mid 40s to very early 50s is typical for Captain/Colonel. So the Trek casting has actually been ok, at least until they decide to keep them at that rank for much too long. The 60's Picard of Nemesis should long since have been promoted and moved out of that job.

Once in a blue moon someone makes that rank in their late 30s in the real world. Its not unheard of. So I can buy TOS Kirk. NuKirk was a joke. But maybe their laughing all the way to the bank with that joke, so I wouldnt be surprised to see it again.

Although it should be noted that Faran Tahir and Bruce Greenwood were fine. Greenwood was actually one the oldest actors at the time of first casting we've seen for a Captian. I dont think Shatner was that old until ST II-III.

2. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ I like to think that Picard is still captaining the Enterprise because of Kirk's advice in GEN not to let them promote him out of that chair.

3. theonering

theonering Lieutenant Red Shirt

I think the casting would depend on what kind of character the captain would be. It seems like there would be two main types, the younger maverick type, ala Kirk, and the older more experienced type, ala Picard.
    If I were in charge of casting here's who I would like to see audition. For the Younger route: John Simm, Joe Flannigan, Michelle Rodriguez, and Scott Cann.
    If I were looking for someone a little older with more gravitas: Sela Ward, Christopher Eccleston, Dennis Haysbert, Mandy Patinkin, and Tim Dekay

4. The Inquisitor

The Inquisitor Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

^ John Simm, good call. He slipped my mind entirely. Him and James McAvoy as his 1st officer would be mint.

5. Captaindemotion

^ Maybe James could be the young Picard. Wouldn't be the first time he's prequelized Patrick Stewart ...

6. theonering

I was about to ask when he played picard before, then I remembered the new x-men movie lol (facepalm)

In my own little fantasy world, I'd like to see a series set after the dominion wa,r based around someone who was promoted to captain sooner than he/she normally would have been due to personnel shortages. I think if done right, it would provide a good balance of nuBSG grittiness/realism, and classic trek optimism. John Simm and Michelle Rodriguez would make the most compelling leads in my opinion.

7. bleumonique

bleumonique Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Nice fantasy cast!!! Really nice!:techman:

8. bleumonique

bleumonique Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Very nice! Love 'em both, especially John Simm. Miss Life on Mars.

9. ngc7293

ngc7293 Commander Red Shirt

Since I don't want to read 20 pages, I am going to bet that no one suggested Nathan Fillion from Firefly as of 2012 he would be 41(ish)
    I also like Lawrence Fishburne though would he do a possibly 5 year stint on TV/SYFY?

10. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Better someone with fewer personal problems who show up consistently on the set? Like your idea of a post Dominion War show though.

11. theonering

I did say it was a fantasy lol, and thanks!

ngc7293, I'm pretty sure somebody did mention Nathan Fillion. The problem I have with that is could he make me forget about Malcom Reynolds if he took on another captains role in another scifi show.

12. ngc7293

ngc7293 Commander Red Shirt

Well, I'm still not going to sit all day and read 20 pages :) Anyway there have been great actors from very memorable shows that did a good job of playing a different character. One was Spike on Torchwood and he didn't remind me of Spike. If an actor is good and is given a good script to work with I don't see why He or she can't do a good job of making you forget about that role they are known for.

Keenu Reeves is known for Neo but he has played so many other roles and he doesn't get the "that reminds me of Neo" thinking.

Now granted we are talking about Trek so there is no chance in Hell of getting good writing so you are probably write that this actor will be reminded of Mal.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  13. theonering

I'm glad you brought that up, I didn't even think about James Marsters as a potential captain! lol

I'm not sure that Spike and John Hart are comparable characters, but I understand your point. Marsters is a hell of an actor who's played a wide range of characters, from vampire to terrorist.
    I may even not be as informed as I should be in discounting Fillion as a possible trek captain, I've really only ever seen him in Buffy, Firefly, and 2 or three episodes of Castle. But at the same time, trek tv has been accused of being unoriginal so much lately, I'd hate to see whoever ends up producing the next series go "Hey! Let's get Nathan Fillion! He's already played an awesome captain."

14. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Dennis Quaid

15. Bishop76

Bishop76 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

After seeing True Grit, for some reason Jeff Bridges seems like a good choice. An odd one to be sure, but it would be fun to watch.

16. Tarek71

Indeed! But as Picard would be about 70something now, I think its time for a new generation. Its their turn now. I picture Picard as being ok with the idea of the Enterprise launching under the command of a young 40 something Captain. He had that moment once. Its someone elses turn now. I think the lesson of Picard at the end of Generations was, its ok to grow old and to let go of the past, of the 'what might have beens',etc.

17. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Do you mean the actor's age or the character's age? In the Trek universe people get well beyond 150 years old. I don't think they spend 80 years of their lives in retirement.

18. Tarek71

About the same for both, although the charachter might be a bit older. Unfortunetly, being played by modern actors who age at todays ordinary rate introduces the ordinary problems associated with that.

It should be said though that humans are never generally shown as aging much differently than they do now. The longer lifespan seems like a lengthening of being elderly and not a prolongation of middle age or youth. They could just cast 60 yo actors and have them say they are 120 but I dont recall that being done. When we see very old humans, they look and seem very old.

So id have to say that 70+ still seems quite old for a captain. In the real world most captains are 40's-50's. Usually by ones 60's theyve retired or been promoted. And you dont get to stay at a rank or a job for any arbitrarily long time that you want to. At some point you get orders that you are being relieved and a new CO is being assigned, and thats that. You have your orders, end of discussion.

Obviously they take a bit of license with this for story and other reasons. But I think its time for a change. This is probably only relevant to fan fiction or the novels as another time travel story in the movies seems slim at best.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  19. Captaindemotion

^ IIRC, Picard was meant to be in his 60s in TNG's first season. He was certainly meant to be a lot older than the actor playing him (who was only in his late 40s at the time).

20. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Has Nathan Fillion been mentioned three or four times yet?

Because, you know, Nathan Fillion.

Or Ben Browder.