Who would you want to play the captain in Trek series 6

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by jefferiestubes8, Oct 31, 2009.

1. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

No.

It's thanks to Abrams and to casting like Pine and Quinto that Star Trek has any future at all for people to speculate uselessly about in this forum. :cool:

2. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I'm not complaining about his weight, just being self deprecating for him ;)

Truth be told, he appears to have lost quite a bit of weight in the last year or two.

3. Mirror Sulu

Mirror Sulu Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

No.

If you're speaking immediate future (which I assume you are), then certainly an argument can be made for Abrams, because it was his pitch that brought Trek back to the big screen. As for Pine and Quinto's casting being a reason? Nah. Can't see your thought process there. Pine is pretty horrible, arguably the worst of the new cast and undeniably the worst Trek captain ever. :cool:

4. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Actually Pine's performance is uncanny...he mimics many of Shatner's mannerisms for Kirk without it devolving into parody, which it very easily could have. Critically Pine's performance is one of the keys often mentioned to ST09's success.

RAMA

5. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Pine and Quinto did a decent job with the characters. The comparisons between the new and old Kirk and Spock aren't fair because they were trained differently. Pine doesn't have the extensive Shakespearean training that Shatner had, or the range of experience. Quinto doesn't have the same experience as Nimoy. The younger actors did a commendable job despite the differences.

The only problem I have with younger actors today is they don't seem to have the same vocal depth and projection as their predecessors. Also, younger leading man types today look physically smaller than the generations before.

It's not good or bad, it's just different.

6. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh, and I wouldn't mind seeing someone like Adam Baldwin in the captain's chair.

7. PhaseIIforever

PhaseIIforever Ensign Red Shirt

I think James Purefoy gives off a vibe that he'll try anything and I think that's an important trait for a starship captain to have.

8. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

9. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

To be fair, it mostly was the way the character was written, and the way Pine himself was directed. If the new Kirk had been written to be a compassionate and insightful character, what we got from Pine would have been different.

Although I think given his level of acting experience at the time Star Trek Eleven was produced, Pine would have had difficulty depicting such a character.

The character was written to be a confrontational punk, this is the way Pine the actor played him. From what I've seen of Pine in articles and interviews, he personally seems to be a pretty nice, mild mannered guy. Hardly the tired stereo-type "bad boy" that is new Kirk.

:)