Spoilers Who wore it better?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Amasov, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Amasov

Amasov Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm sure once we saw Ethan Peck don the traditional Spock look, it drew comparisons to Zachary Quinto's Spock. In your mind, who do you think was more successful as the Nimoy resemblance? I have to give the edge to Quinto. I got too used to Peck as the bearded pre-Spock and I think he pulled that off wonderfully, but I wasn't TOTALLY sold when he came out like this in the end.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Spaceship Jo likes this.
  2. King Daniel Beyond

King Daniel Beyond Fleet Admiral Admiral

Quinto gets my vote. Those sideburns on Peck! Although I thought he looked really cool with the beard, shaggy hair and dark tunics.

CaptainMurdock, Jinn, KimMH and 3 others like this.
  3. Amasov

Amasov Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, the sideburns...I didn't know what was going on there! But I think Quinto bears the stronger resemblance to Nimoy. Peck sold me 100% on being the younger version of Spock from a pre-TOS period.

SpocksOddSocks and Spaceship Jo like this.
  4. King Daniel Beyond

King Daniel Beyond Fleet Admiral Admiral

Thing is, Nimoy has no lips. Ethan Peck has enormous lips.

5. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I prefer Peck's acting of the part, but Quinto looked better in it. The beard really did hide a lot. In fairness, Quinto had to look more like Leonard Nimoy than Peck did because Peck wasn't sharing any screen time with Nimoy.

6. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Premium Member

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    I think they're both good versions of the character, but Quinto looks a lot more like Nimoy.

7. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Tbh I'm still not wholly sold on Peck, but I think once I got over the voice being different I started to see it and I think he did well. Quinto wasn't always note perfect but was mostly convincing, and effectively channeled Nimoy (in a movie where he shared time with Nimoy, making comparisons more obvious).

CommanderRaytas and Spaceship Jo like this.
  8. Michael

Michael In alignment with canon Moderator

I don‘t much care for a resemblance to Nimoy or how much they‘re able to mimic the original Spock, I just think Peck did an all-around better job crafting an interesting character performance. He doesn‘t look anything like Nimoy-Spock, but he‘s very believable to me as a younger, more emotional and less settled version of the character. I hope we‘ll see him again.

9. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Indeed. I never bought Quinto as Spock and I was really against of yet another recast as the last one didn't work for me at all. But Peck actually nailed it. That being said, he looks weird without the beard, he should have kept it.

Spaceship Jo and cultcross like this.
  10. TrickyDickie

TrickyDickie Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No preference. Solid, believable performances by both, in my opinion. Looks are close enough, in both cases.

lurok and Mr. Laser Beam like this.
  11. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Although I did enjoy/bought Quinto as Spock, Peck really did a great job as a more complete character. I would really enjoy seeing more of him as Spock.

Michael and lurok like this.
  12. BillJ

BillJ History’s Greatest Monster Premium Member

Quinto. But Peck did a solid job.

lurok, KimMH, ITDUDE and 1 other person like this.
  13. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk Kang, now with ridges Premium Member

Hate the wig on Peck. Quinto looked wigged up in Beyond, too and not as good as he did in the first film. You're actors, guys. Commit to the part!!!!! Get the hair cut!

Spaceship Jo, Tosk, Ovation and 3 others like this.
  14. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Peck had 20 seconds of screen time in the classic Spock look.
    I would not expect him to cut his hair just for that.
    They might decide to change that if the Pike Enterprise Show ever gets of the ground.

King Daniel Beyond likes this.
  15. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk Kang, now with ridges Premium Member

I do. Or at least a better wig. That one looks like a TNG Romulan left over.

Spaceship Jo, TrickyDickie and BillJ like this.
  16. Alan Roi

Alan Roi Commodore Fleet Captain

Neither Quinto or Peck ever got the chance to settle into the old velour. Until they do I, IMO, they offer to small a sample the both of them.

17. NewHeavensNewEarth

NewHeavensNewEarth Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I just wanted to hear Peck say, "Fascinating." That was going to be how I judged Peck's entire performance. Or if he happened to find a way to say, "Cowboy diplomacy."

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    Rainard Fox likes this.
  18. Midquest

Midquest Commander Red Shirt

I think Peck looks better and gives a better performance. Quinto's face says "inquisitive" to me, whereas both Peck and Nimoy have a stoicism to them. Peck doesn't really look like Nimoy, but I can envision him being the same character as TOS Spock. That wasn't the case with Kelvin Spock.

Unicorn and Longinus like this.
  19. cultcross

cultcross We truly were a song of ice and fire Moderator

Peck was the superior Spock to my mind. He had Nimoy's trick of hiding an awful lot behind a placid face, something that Quinto never really managed. His Spock emoted openly too much for me.

As for the bloody sideburns, I couldn't care less.

20. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Quinto was acceptable. Peck has been decent. Neither are Nimoy, and never will be.

For the next recasting, they should find an English or Australian actor, just for the simple fact that they are much better at affecting non-native accents than Americans are. If you can cast someone who kinda resembles Nimoy and can nail that Boston-ish accent, BINGO.

And do something about the uniforms. Sheesh. :techman: