Who is the better captain Picard or Jellico

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Gabriel, Jan 9, 2019.

?

Who is the better Captain

Poll closed Jan 27, 2019.
  1. Picard

58.3%
  2. Jellico

10.4%
  3. Both

20.8%
  4. Neither

10.4%
  1. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

Not just that, but Kira pointed out the flexibility of a 4 shift rotation was what won the crew over. And less likely to be burned out. Amazing how only 2 hours can make a big impact on the body.

Gabriel likes this.
  2. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No.

DATA: I believe that is also an attainable goal. If we utilise the entire Engineering department, there should be sufficient manpower available to complete the task.
    LAFORGE: Sure, if everybody works around the clock for the next two days.
    JELLICO: Then you'd better get to it, Geordi. It looks like you have some work to do. Data.

And this was before Jellico reassigned third of the engineering crew elsewhere...

Makarov likes this.
  3. Gabriel

Gabriel Captain Captain

I will admit I was wrong on the double shift, but Geordi was not being literal. if he would say working triple shifts then I believe what you are believing. and plus Geordi seems to be one of those "rocks to replicators" kind of engineer, so im sure if he would stop whining and get his ass working they would be just fine.
    by the way it wasn't elsewhere. It was to security which. would be needed if they get boarded. And by the way I believe when ever there is a good amount of damage it is all hands on deck, so I believe the engineering crew assign to security would then come to engineering to lend a hand. also data said it is an attainable goal. and while he doesn't sleep he knows others do and would have said something if he though gerodi was being literal and it would seriously effect the engineering crew.

4. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

The basic 8 hour rotation is for normal civilian work.

For the military, police force, fire fighters, hospitals and others venues, a 10-12 hour day is a normal working day. So, Jellico asking for double shifts could be a 20 hour day for the engineering and service crews. That leaves 4 hours of sleep for rest and down time. That could be a pretty big ask.

For the command staff, the captain has their XO for relief. The XO has the second officer for relief. For the night shift, we have department heads or anyone who volunteers for the duty. Harry Kim was senior staff on VOY. He took the night shift. While Dr. Crusher and Data did the night shift on the Enterprise.

5. Gabriel

Gabriel Captain Captain

well can't work that well on 5 hour sleep but 7 hour could be better.

6. Gabriel

Gabriel Captain Captain

where is it said in Star Trek that starfleet shifts are that long. they even said that they have a three shift rotation on the enterprise in that episode. also in other episodes on the enterprise there are 3 shifts. so 24 divide 3 is 8 hours on duty and two shifts would be 16. but since they were on 4 shifts then it would go down to a double shift being 12 hours.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  7. Longinus

It doesn't matter, no shifts are mentioned in relation to that engineering task. "If everybody works around the clock for the next two days," is literally what Geordi says.

8. M.A.C.O.

With my local police department, these were our 3 shifts.
    7am -7pm / 7pm-7am
    3am - 3pm / 3pm-3am
    11am-11pm / 11pm - 11am

I've had similar experience working security with the DoD. My friends in the medical field tell me 10-12 hours day is the norm as well.

Truth is, we don't know what the duty rotations were in Starfleet. I just think it's unlikely the crew had 8 hour work days and 16 hours of down time. We could probably piece together work shifts lengths though. Going by Riker's duty calls in Schisms and O'brien working around the clock when DS9 was first getting operational.

9. Roundabout

Roundabout Commander Red Shirt

I thought it was peculiar that Jellico didn't offer any words of reassurance or inspiration during that ceremony. He just "dismissed" the gathering immediately after the official change over. I reckon that there was no requirement for a new commanding officer to make any sort of speech, nevertheless it was curious.

I remember after Riker was formally given command of the Enterprise by Starfleet after Picard had been assimilated in BoBW, Riker made a short speech of reassurance to his officers, even though they all knew him already.

In TWoK, after Kirk assumed command of the Enterprise, he gave a brief pep talk to the bridge crew asking them to "grow up" a bit sooner than they expected.

Both Riker's and Kirk's talk were less than a minute. These types of speeches don't have to take up hardly any time. Words of reassurance or inspiration by a new commander may not be required; but generally, I assume it can't hurt, and it can be helpful for many crew members to hear such words from their new commander.

Oddly enough, Jellico did offer up words of appreciation to the bridge crew after he relinquished command back to Picard.

Makarov and Longinus like this.
  10. Gabriel

Gabriel Captain Captain

I doubt Geordi is stupid enough to actually work all for two days. Also im pretty sure Geordi isn't just about to call up the entire engineering department and set them to work on that one task. the logical thing to do is to have everyone go by normal shifts and gets as much of the job done as you can in your shift. while they don't say that in the episode it seems logical

well according to memory alpha (which is reliable most of the time) there were three shifts.
    what they don't tell us is how long they are but since on the enterprise the day is 24 hr long then divide 24 divide 3 and you get 3 8 hour shifts. I wonder how they would do it for deep space nine. because their day is 26 hour long. because originally there were on three shift rotations. then on Kira's suggestion they go to. a four hour shift in season 4. if you dive 26 by 3 you won't get a whole number. so it could possible be 2 9 hour shifts and 1 8 hour shifts. and when they went to the four shift rotation it would be 6.5 hours per shift.

11. Gabriel

Gabriel Captain Captain

thats a good question. probably wasn't his stye but he should have done it. it possible could have helped

12. M.A.C.O.

No one is disuputing the number of shifts. The question is how long those duty hours are. For similar service members, career fields and such. A 10-12 hour work day is normal. You're sticking to the traditional 8 hour work day. I'm suggesting the commissioned and non-comissioned officers in Star Fleet put more than 8 hours a day in normally.

13. Farscape One

Actually, Jellico reassigned 1/3 of the staff in the first part. The second part is when the above conversation took place. So LaForge was already shortstaffed as it is.

14. Longinus

No, this happens later:

LAFORGE: Commander, he's asked me to completely reroute half the power systems on the ship, change every duty roster, realign the warp coils in two days, and now he's transferred a third of my department to Security.

15. Farscape One

Which that was said in part one, right before LaForge suggested talking to Picard, who obviously was not on the Enterprise in part two.

Data said the dialogue you posted when he was made XO after Riker was relieved, which happened in part two. That scene was in Engineering.

16. Longinus

No, you misremember. The first quote is from the episode one too, and Data wasn't the XO yet. It happens before the second quote.

17. Farscape One

Ah, yeah. Jellico was touring the ship with Data, ordering changes to the bridge science stations, among other things.

Okay, my memory is foggy from the medicine I've been taking.

"Drugs are bad... mmmkay."

Gabriel likes this.
  18. Gabriel

Gabriel Captain Captain

Because there are three shifts in a 24 hour day equals up to eight hours per shift. Although that is probably just at post. they probably end up having to do either paperwork or something else off duty as well. Starfleet would probably give their officers and crew civilian work hours because they don’t consider themselves the military. And while there something that they do have that is military like, their duty hours are not them. And remember you don’t get all your work done during your duty hours I’m sure Riker had plenty of “homework” to do after shift. And Laforge did stuff off duty as well. Plus don’t forget they have to sleep and is probably good idea that they sleep eight hours as well so that would leave only eight hours of downtime a day. But still not everybody can even get that amount a day.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  19. CaptainStoner

CaptainStoner Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen Admiral

Picard was a better Captain for the Enterprise-D crew, in most respects.

Jellico was a better Captain for the kind of situation he was thrust into.

And let's not forget, Picard was quite wooden and stodgy early on, and he has demonstrated he is capable of being as much a hard-ass, if not more so, than Jellico.

Nyotarules and Gabriel like this.
  20. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think if the episode were any longer that's exactly what we would see...

At that point Riker's out of the mix but Geordi is still there dealing with Jellico not listening to his objections, Troi is there trying to smooth things over and getting brushed off, the crew is still there most likely still unsure of him, the department heads probably think his judgment sucks for screwing up the rosters. If word spread around the ship Riker was relieved for arguing to save Picard they would lose even more confidence in Jellico. If the plan didn't work and war started he would be in deep shit.

Here's the thing, why didn't he just tell Riker something like "we need to get an advantage on the cardassians and we'll try to make a play for Picard, it's a long shot but our only option." Instead, his approach is like "your captain is dead. give up on him. I'm the captain shut up about it or I'll replace you." He had pretty much declared Picard dead before the mission even began. That is a bad move on his part

Longinus likes this.