Who is the better captain Picard or Jellico

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Gabriel, Jan 9, 2019.

?

Who is the better Captain

Poll closed Jan 27, 2019.
  1. Picard

58.3%
  2. Jellico

10.4%
  3. Both

20.8%
  4. Neither

10.4%
  1. Gabriel

Gabriel Captain Captain

Now I found this debate on YouTube chats
    Which one is better picard got to know who his crew and earn there respect. Jellico did not earn their respect and the enterprise crew would probably want to tell him shut up, but he got results and mange to get picard release and save a system from being invaded. Although no one was sad to see him go at the end. And of course be more respectful than the people on YouTube were to each other.

Edit: now that I think about it, I should have just ask if jellico was a good captain.
    Edit: so if any new person posting you can just post if jellico was a good captain.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  2. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Are you at war or trying to prevent a war?

3. Gabriel

Gabriel Captain Captain

Eh could you give response for both at war and trying to. Prevent a war

4. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

This guy:

[​IMG]

Seriously.

Kor and Lance like this.
  5. Gabriel

Gabriel Captain Captain

Wow did not think I would get a neither.
    I now a fellow Kirk fan when I see one

Phoenix219 and Vger23 like this.
  6. Spectre Of The Fun

Spectre Of The Fun Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I like them both. We know Picard better because we spent more time with him but I respect Jellico. Picard and Jellico were put in tough spots by their superiors but they responded like pros. Frankly the Enterprise crew should have followed orders and did their jobs better and faster once Jellico took command.

However I am open to dissent. People here amaze me by making convincing cases for almost everything and I love having different perspectives.

7. Sareesataka

Sareesataka Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Picard.

We had 7 seasons of Picard, plus the movies to get to know the man and the kind of captain he was. With all due respect to Jellico, we only had 2 episode to learn who Jellico was as a captain and it's entirely debatable whether he was any good. While I actually liked Jellico, I am just more familiar with Picard and his leadership abilities. If I were going into battle, I would want a captain I could trust.

8. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Picard's not as naive as people often say he is. He'll strive for peace but be vigilant when he's being conned. Though we do see him get conned in The Next Phase. In situations like The Enemy, The Defector, Jelico probably starts a war, or in The Drumhead he never fights back against Satie's tactics and plunges Starfleet into McCarthyist hell. But given a definite enemy, definite war, speaking purely as a war tactician, Jelico is better.

Although Jelico had some good points about crew discipline.

Spectre Of The Fun and Gabriel like this.
  9. Gabriel

Gabriel Captain Captain

I totally get that

10. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Both have their strengths and weaknesses. Though the audience was meant to dislike Jellico because he wasn't Picard, but he was still a strong and capable leader. Had he brought his own senior officers with him and made the E-D his own then the headbutting that went on wouldn't have happened.

Marsden, Admiral2, Phoenix219 and 4 others like this.
  11. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Jellico probably had a Goa'uld in his head. :techman:

Paul Weaver, DonIago and Lance like this.
  12. plentode

plentode Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

To be fair I chose both. It's a difficult comparison given our small sample size of Jellico compared to the wealth of Picard we've been treated to. While I like Picard, I would like to have gotten to know Jellico more. It's a shame we only saw him for those two episodes.

Marsden, Nyotarules and Phoenix219 like this.
  13. Gabriel

Gabriel Captain Captain

I know at first I hated him but now I kinda respect him

14. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

Both considering that Jellico is basically a twisted version of first season Picard.

Spectre Of The Fun, BillJ and Lance like this.
  15. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

While I support Jellico's command, I still vote Picard, because what we know of Picard outweighs what we know of Jellico. While it helps that he handled the hell out of that Cardassian mission, I can only assume that because Jellico is a captain in good standing, & has a longstanding career & loyal crew on the Cairo, & is considered very prominently among Starfleet big wigs (Just as Picard is) that he is just as good a captain as Picard... but that's just assumption.

So while I'd never assume he is a bad captain based solely on the attitudes of the Enterprise crew during his command, I'd also never assume he's a better captain than Picard, for the same reason. I imagine him to be a solid captain & maybe as good as Picard, & that's all I can say about him, from what I know

That said... what I know of Picard is that he is shown in multitudes of scenarios where his excellence in command is on full display, & there's much history to support the theory that were he to be tasked with the exact same mission, under the exact same circumstances, that Jellico is tasked with on the Enterprise, he'd be just as capable of success imho.

In fact, I've often imagined Picard being tossed on a ship of strangers, who are put off about the abrupt transfer of their beloved captain, & being jerked around by command, during a time critical mission that's goal is to prevent war &/or military incursion, on a ship that might not be entirely outfitted to do so, & requires immediate unpleasant alterations, in order to make the mission success possible, in light of certain negotiation failure

Interestingly enough, it's my humble opinion that if Picard were saddled with an impossible mission like that, he'd be in the same position to have to act the same exact ways that Jellico is acting, because there is just no wiggle room for him to be as forgiving as we've come to know him to be. In truth, there actually are times where we've seen him placed in the position of needing to be unreasonable or unforgiving, & no one judges him harshly for it, because we have history with him, & know what kind of man he is, without question.. We don't have that relationship with Jellico, so it is much easier to see him as an antagonist under those conditions

16. Nightcreature

Nightcreature Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Tough to say but in the New Frontier books, Peter David always portrayed Jellico as a commanding officer who's micromanaging, stern, authoritative style is limited and only goes so far in leading a crew whereas Picard literally inspires his crew to do anything for him. I can see where he is coming from though I think Chains in Command is not an really accurate look at how Jellico commands. He was coming into a middle of a crisis situation with a crew he was unfamiliar with and his style obviously clashed with the Enterprise crew in the short amount of time he was in command.

Still Picard leads the flagship of the Federation fleet so does that put him above most other captains anyways?

Lance likes this.
  17. Gabriel

Gabriel Captain Captain

I don’t know that puts above other captains but he definitely has a page or two in the history book

18. trekshark

trekshark Captain Captain

Can't truly compare them since Jellico was seen once and written to be viewed poorly by the crew .

Bry_Sinclair likes this.
  19. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Jellico is THE MAN.

He rolled in and in a couple of days turned a glorified cruise liner with science labs into a warship, and got the mission done in spite of the crew being a bunch of pussified crybabies. I've had respect for Picard at times, but if I get a choice of Captain between the two, I will pick Jellico, every time.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  20. Gabriel

Gabriel Captain Captain

I’m along the same lines I like picard but I don’t think he has it in him to a sicence ship into a warship, but that’s ok he’s a explorer and a diplomat not a warrior for example his crew at one point failed to fend off an attack from Ferengi