Who DOESN'T love Kestra Troi-Riker?!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by starfleettanner, Mar 6, 2020.

1. SJGardner

SJGardner Commodore Commodore

I took an instant liking to her, and I loved how well she fit together with Soji, especially with her innocent curiosity at how human she is, without judgment or prejudice, which reminded me of Bashir reacting the same way to Data in Birthright. She's exactly how I imagine a child growing up in the 24th century should be, not to mention that it was also very easy to see both Will and Deanna in her. I loved the playful energy she had as well as the detailed imaginary world she and Thad had built for themselves, something that reminded me of my own childhood.

Kilana2 likes this.
  2. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

She was wonderful! She had so much in common with Soji, and I loved that instant rapport they had. The name Kestra was also a nice callback to Dark Page. I

I have to say I was half-wondering if they would happen to mention the passing of Lwaxana being as we lost poor Majel some time ago now.

3. Hythlodeus

Hythlodeus Commodore Commodore

Deanna: "Hey, Jean-Luc, remember my mother that you always hated? She's dead!"
    JL: "Well, anyway, we need to find out what to do next with Soji..."
    Deanna: "Captain, My mother! She...died!"
    JL: "I wonder where we could hide her from those Romulans..."
    Deanna: "I sense that you're a dick, JL!"

4. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

JL: Is this a chamber pot?
    Deanna: It's the Sacred Chalice of Rixx!

5. ITDUDE

ITDUDE Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Star Trek: lets have Rikers have a cute kid
    Plot device: nice kid you have there, wouldn’t want anything bad to happen to her
    Star Trek: don’t you dare!
    Plot device: fine, Have Rikers have another kid that I can kill off
    Star Trek: done

Turtletrekker likes this.
  6. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

First of all, if you are going to blame anyone, blame Thad and not her. Thad was the one who created that fictional fantasy culture she was emulating, so your argument should be that Thaddeus' fictional culture was appropriated...

...But then again, even if Thad's fantasy culture included ritual face paints, that's not exactly appropriating another culture.

Considering the idea of face paints for war, hunts, and other ritualistic reasons seems to be not uncommon among independent cultures on Earth, I'd say that the use of such paints is not an invention of a single culture, but rather a normal idea that can spontaneously arise from human nature. That would be like saying the idea of ritual dancing is appropriated from...I don't know...pick one of the many Earth cultures that include ritual dancing.

7. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

If she's appropriating from anyone, it's the Dúnedain.

8. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Considering that Kestra's adopted Soji as her unofficial little sister...

(Once Soji told her that she suspected herself to be just about 3 years old, I saw those wheels turning in Kestra's head.)

DaveyNY likes this.
  9. bookworm8571

bookworm8571 Commander Red Shirt

I’ve seen the young actress in a couple of horror films and thought she did a good job. She’s a perfect fit as the daughter of Riker and Troi.

10. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

And Lwaxana is likely very proud of her granddaughter. No other girl has a grandma like Kestra Troi-Riker (the Litverse went with Riker-Troi, which sounds better IMO).

SJGardner likes this.
  11. SoM

SoM Captain Captain

It's curious how she claims to be a pacifist, yet hunts animals and "cleans"/butchers the meat. Doubly so when you can replicate meat.

Lt Johnny and Crewman6 like this.
  12. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

It's the Theodore Roosevelt line of thinking. He hunted and fought for preservation at the same time. Life is full of odd contradictions, so I like it.

13. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought she was adorable.
    Yes! That was my first thought too.

14. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

nice kid. I guess she'll have her eyeball ripped out of her living eye socket in 20 years or so.

added: or burn in a chateau fire. these trek kids and wanting to live past 40.. ha!

15. ITDUDE

ITDUDE Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Pacifists are against war. Killing animals for food has nothing to do with that.

Miss Chicken, burningoil, Sci and 6 others like this.
  16. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

Hopefully not. But there is Naomi Wildman who could suffer such a fate - if Seven is not fast enough to save her in time.

17. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

did you see replicator in their home? I'm sure the great bunnycorn wars ended long ago.

Hythlodeus likes this.
  18. SoM

SoM Captain Captain

She was using the word to say that she wouldn't have shot Soji (with her real, "steel"-tipped arrows), not to say she wouldn't enlist in Starfleet.

They have shields, scanners and presumably weapons to go with them to fight off the invasion of the Nivenverse, along with Riker playing jazz via voice command. They have the technology - with them, not just in concept - they just choose not to use it for food, apparently.

Greg Cox likes this.
  19. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

They are definitely into fresh food there, and it doesn't get more fresh than that.

Hythlodeus likes this.
  20. Hythlodeus

Hythlodeus Commodore Commodore

Telling Siri to tell Alexa to tell Google to stop the music is not exactly the same level of technology as is a replicator

XCV330 likes this.