Poll Which Star Trek Series Klingons Love Best

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by iliescu, Sep 13, 2018.

?

Which series for personal has the best Klingon(s)?

1. Voyager

3 vote(s)
    5.4%
  2. Enterprise

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Deep Space 9

29 vote(s)
    51.8%
  4. The Original Series

14 vote(s)
    25.0%
  5. Discovery

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  6. The Animated Series

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  7. The Next Generation

7 vote(s)
    12.5%
  8. Phase 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. New Voyages

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Ghrakh

Ghrakh Captain Captain

Interesting, this is another poll where votes and arguments are based on one's favorite series.

Anyway, the TOS Klingons were generic bad guys with cool ships and multiple appearances; they were represented entirely by their charismatic captains only, while the others just stood around and said nothing. Great representation of culture there... The DS9 Klingons were just a continuation of the TNG Klingons, even carrying over several characters like Worf, Kurn or Gowron.

As far as TNG, it seems the view of the entire Klingon culture is based on that one bar scene in "Redemption Part II.. It makes me wonder if the people crapping on TNG have actually watched the show.

2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes, I have. Never cared for the Klingons and the constant insistence that the only way to assert leadership was killing everyone or beating someone up.

3. iliescu

iliescu Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

How else would Klingons be reborn anew! Anyhow DS9 is winning over the rest of the series by 4 votes to here.
    DS9 - 22 Votes, and Star Trek Others 18 Votes.

4. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

All that means is the majority of fans on here like DS9 the best!
    JB

Admiral2 and DS9forever like this.
  5. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

"One day you and the Klingons will become fast friends" to quote the Organian in "Errand of Mercy" and "Gorbachev, please tear down this wall!" to quote Reagan, were probably the reasons. The Cold War was ending, so our adversaries were now our friends. Had TNG come out pre-Chernobyl or before Gorbachev came into power, I think the Klingons -- the analog to the Russians -- still would've been enemies in TNG. Worf would've been an outcast who the Klingons would've seen as a traitor from the beginning.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  6. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Strange isn't it that we never saw or heard of a Klingon leader during TOS and David Warner as Gorkon seemed a bit too conciliatory for an empire of prison and death camps! :klingon:
    JB

Lord Garth likes this.
  7. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

That just gave me a thought. It's not the movie because they obviously wanted to set up TNG, but...

Sometimes the worst people are the nicest and most likable. If they'd gone a different way, they could've had a Klingon Emperor who can turn on a dime, make the Federation believe he's sincere due to circumstances, and then... :devil:

Basically the kind of thing Kirk thought was going to happen.

On another note: I wonder how much the Federation made the Klingons give up between TUC and TNG in order to render aid to them? It must've been a lot. Which would cause a lot of resentment from some factions. So it makes sense that 50 years later, war could've broken out again if the wrong thing happened.

johnnybear likes this.
  8. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Gorkon was supposed to be the Gorbachev in TUC's scenario. Just because we never met them doesn't mean there weren't Stalins and Krushchevs before him.

fireproof78 and Lord Garth like this.
  9. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

That's all well and good.

But purple blood?

[​IMG]

:lol:

10. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Which series has the best Klingons? TNG.

Which series Klingons love best? Gotta go with DS9. :)

11. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll admit I do, but it has relatively little to do with that. DS9 just has the most Klingon content by far out of any of the series. There's probably close to an entire season of Klingon-related episodes if you add them up.

DS9 would also be my answer for the best Ferengi (by far), Bajorans, and Cardassians. It would certainly not be for the Romulans or Vulcans, since the series mostly avoided those races. TNG would probably be the answer for the Romulans (TOS only used them twice, so it can't really count), and - I hate to say it - ENT would be for the Vulcans (since we learned far, far more about Vulcan in that series than in any prior show).

It's not strange at all. As I mentioned in my "epic" thread, Kirk was set up to be just a captain in TOS, not "The Captain" as he was made out to be due to later fanservice. A random captain - even of a Connie - wouldn't be regularly parlaying with the head of state of the Klingon Empire.

fireproof78 likes this.
  12. somebuddyX

somebuddyX Commodore Commodore

It's an interesting and depends which Klingons you're talking about. I love the Klingons of TOS, Star Trek IV and Star Trek VI who were smart, calculating villains who did not give one shit about honour. The "honourable" Klingons of the TNG era feel like a completely different race and are a great concept, but other than Worf and Martok and a few others, were just dumb boring meathead idiots who regularly got their asses handed them by people who weren't even trying. I loved the Klingon doctor on Enterprise who bemoaned the lack of scientists and what his culture had become. I'm still waiting for my ideal Klingon episode where there is just one truly awesome samurai Klingon who is an unstoppable force in battle.

fireproof78 likes this.
  13. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

I would be very happy if Martok and Worf returned for the Picard series.

I've always felt Worf returning to the Empire would be the best way to take the character; Worf as Picard's first officer doesn't work for me.

14. iliescu

iliescu Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

A 4 Vote difference it looks, now from DS9 to the rest voted are true on.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  15. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

My problem with the way DS9 treated Klingons is first, the Klingon War seemed redundant and backpedaling on story progress of TNG. And Worf in particular seemed at times more like a petty emotional child than a warrior balancing his desire to be Klingon with who he is as a Starfleet officer.

TOS Klingons are more like generic baddies. Most of the places they appear you could replace them with any other bad guy race and the story would be about the same.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018