Which shows satisfied you this season? Possible spoilers

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Obiwanshinobi, May 28, 2010.

1. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not a poll question, but as the title says, of the shows you watch which show this season satisfied you, regardless if the season or series finale like in the case of Lost or 24 and well I guess Heroes, was good or not?

For me I'd have to say Dexter's season 4 was pretty damn good.
    The whole Trinity arc was fantastic and John Lithgow was perfect casting choice for Trinity. And that ending, wow talk about game changer.

Honorable mentions would have to go to Lost, Supernatural and Chuck.

Supernatural: For the most part I've enjoyed the season, but for a I wanna say at least a month, there was a string of standalones that were either pretty good or pretty bad. The finale could have been a lot better, but all in all it was decent.

Chuck: Chuck's been pretty consistent, like you don't have to expect too much from it because of how light in tone it is. But this year especially, they've been able to surprise me here and there.

Lost: Ah yes, my favorite show of all time. While this whole season was good and the finale being, 5 days gone by, acceptable. I can't help but think it could have been so much better. I kind of think the beginning part with the temple was a bit of a waste. They didn't really necessarily need to introduce those new characters and they could have used that time establishing the MiB and Jacob characters. But it is what it is and I'm going to really miss the show.

I'd also like to add Community to my list.
    It's hilarious. I'll definitely be back next season for it.

I would add Modern Family too, but I still need to catch up on it, including the pilot, but from what I've seen, also hilarious.

Anybody else have any somewhat in depth analysys on their Fall 2009 to Summer 2010 TV Watchin' shows?

2. Dar70

Dar70 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well from the new shows I watched, LOST, MAD MEN and BREAKING BAD. LOST was the only one that disappointed. I dont watch many new shows anylonger. Most of them are dull and boring. Heroes I gave up around the 2nd episode of season three. Thankfully I watched the first 2 seasons on dvd.

3. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Lost, Dexter, Fringe, Chuck, True Blood, Modern Family and Curb Your Enthusiasm were the only 7 that I felt were good from start to finish.

The Office, CSI, NCIS, Criminal Minds, some of the other stuff I have seen every episode of have been hit and miss.

4. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Dexter. Can't wait to see what happens next. :eek::eek::eek: The season opener might be my most anticipated episode of all time.

Chuck. They've set up a great premise for next season, and if that's the final season, then they've got a great opportunity to just knock it out of the park.

Lost. Controversial as it may be, I liked where they ended it. Now to buy the whole boxed set. :D

5. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

Fringe, Modern Family, Psych, and Stargate Universe kept me satisfied pretty much through the whole season.

I watch a bunch of other shows too, but those were hit and miss.

6. ialfan

ialfan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Dollhouse and Glee are the only shows that have completely satisfied me this season.

7. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Lost, Dollhouse, Stargate Universe and Caprica.

8. Kirkman1987

Kirkman1987 Commodore Commodore

I was very satisfied with the few shows I watched.

Dexter - One of the best seasons the series has had. John Lithgow made a terrifying villian.

Ashes to Ashes - I will miss the LOM/A2A saga. there hasn't been one bad episode. I think Gene Hunt is destined to be a British icon for years to come.

24- say what you will about 24's slide in quality over the years, but it remains a great action program and a joy. I hope we get several 24 films in the years to come.

Castle - It's nothing fantastic, but it's fun and Fillion is a charismatic actor.

More my girlfriend's shows than mine, but Bones and Glee were fairly decent. Glee isn't really my thing, but it is very well put together.

9. Joy

Joy Commodore Commodore

House -- Well, *I* liked this season, even if all the Cameron fans and the various shippers aren't so pleased.

Doctor Who -- the season ain't over yet, but boy howdy has it been satisfactory beyond all belief!

10. Temis the Vorta

I didn't put Caprica on my list because it had a rocky start and I can fully understand the people who bailed because it was boring. Only in the final run of episodes did it really start to click as a story.

I think the writers are starting to understand that Joseph Adama, Daniel Greystone and Zoe are their core characters and all other storylines must somehow tie into the central conflict between those characters (and that Adama's story needs to be linked better to Greystone and Zoe). Once they get the story logistics sorted out, the show should start rockin'!

11. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

LOST.

Granted, the season itself at times moved at a frustratingly slow pace but that's nothing new... and the finale made up for that in spades, going out on an emotional bullseye. Perfect.

Never got in to Stargate Universe (boring) but I stuck around with Caprica long enough to enjoy it.

Apart from these genre shows, really, only 30 Rock, Community and Glee have been my "appointment viewing" television this season. 24 was long overdue to end and apart from one or two cool moments here and there, it was mostly rehashed tripe from previous seasons.

12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Dollhouse tops my list. Its pacing was a bit flawed, too slow at the start of the season and too abrupt in the middle, but given its difficulties, it turned out amazingly well.

White Collar on USA is one of my favorite new shows. Tim DeKay and Matt Bomer are fun and have a terrific rapport, and the writing makes both their characters equally smart and engaging.

Castle has also done a good job in similar respects, though I did get frustrated with the formulaic structure of the cases.

House (odd that both my Monday shows are named after characters who are named after residences) was good this season, thanks to the producers' decision to finally let House grow and redeem himself somewhat, though there were moments where he -- and the writers -- fell back too easily into old patterns. And its medical mysteries are just as annoyingly formulaic as Castle's murder investigations.

Smallville was very good this season, at least by its own past standards. The writing and characterization these past two years have been greatly improved over what came before. Zod was a terrific, nuanced antagonist. And even the action started to get better-handled in the latter half of the season.

Stargate Universe is an interesting, fresh take on the SG mythos, one I've found reasonably satisfying.

Caprica is a show I'm generally enjoying more than its forerunner Battlestar Galactica, since it's not as relentlessly dark. It's not perfect, and the mob stuff bores me, but it's good overall and the music and VFX are terrific.

Doctor Who -- yes. The Tennant specials were a mixed bag, and "The End of Time" Part 1 was atrocious, but Part 2 was much better. As for the new Doctor, it's taken a while for me to warm up to him, but I'm getting there, and I liked Amy right off the bat (in fact, I think in "The Beast Below" and "Victory of the Daleks" she made a better Doctor than Matt Smith did). And the stories are generally good so far, though variably so.

And I'm going to make one surprising addition: Heroes. After all, the question is about shows we found satisfying, not ones we found brilliant. The final season of Heroes satisfied me in that it was considerably better than the last two, and made a game attempt to return to the first season's focus on character over plot twists. And Robert Knepper and the writers did an excellent job making Samuel an engaging and nuanced villain. So yes, given my low expectations, I found the final season satisfying.

Batman: The Brave and the Bold has been sheer, mad genius. It's got everything from the sheer lunacy of "Mayhem of the Music Meister!" to the dark intensity of "Chill of the Night!", which even gave B:TAS a run for its money.

Another Cartoon Network show that's been satisfying so far is the new Generator Rex, from the creators of Ben 10. It's an interesting alternate world and there's good character work. The animation's good too.

I'd also put Mythbusters in the "satisfying" column. They are stretching more for myths, it seems, and sometimes their methodology seems to be getting sloppier, but it's still a fun show with occasional moments of brilliance. And now that Kari Byron's back from maternity leave and looking hotter than ever, its satisfaction quotient has jumped significantly.

On the borderline (fittingly) would be Fringe. Satisfying? More or less, since John Noble is fun to watch and it was great to see Leonard Nimoy again. Plus it was nice that they really advanced the series mythology/arc rather than letting it trickle out for years. But highly flawed and often disappointing.

Disappointments:

FlashForward: Watchable but relentlessly mediocre. Few of the cast members were really interesting. I don't regret watching, but I don't mind that it's gone.

Ben 10 Alien Force Season 3/Ben 10 Ultimate Alien: Still watchable, but without the sophistication and intelligence of the first 2 AF seasons. I expect more from Glen Murakami and Dwayne McDuffie. So it's sort of the opposite of my reaction to Heroes: Not really that bad, but points off for falling short of my expectations.

V: Ugh. Misguided and directionless in its first few episodes, then pulled from the schedule for extensive retooling that made it even stupider. One of the worst casts in recent memory, with actors who are either boring or actively annoying, the one exception being Morena Baccarin, who's been doing her finest work ever and is the only reason I watched. (And, okay, Elizabeth Mitchell wasn't bad, though she took a while to grow on me.)

Hmm, so overall it looks like I've found this season more satisfying than not, though a lot of my satisfaction is with reservations. But V drags the rating down considerably all by itself.

13. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Dexter - season 4 was a dramatic increase in quality over what I thought was a slightly-disappointing third season. John Lithgow's performance as the creepy Trinity Killer really add something special, and the story brought about some dramatic and shocking plot twists.

Lost - sometimes frustrating, other times riveting, the show kept me excited and intrigued all year. While the series ultimately didn't answer some of the questions that I wanted it to, and really went in a direction I wasn't expecting, I found it to be very satisfying emotionally.

True Blood - this show keeps getting weirder, crazier and more addictive as time goes on.

The only other shows I watched over the past season are Dollhouse and Caprica, both of which were a little disappointing and didn't quite satisfy. That's not to say that I disliked them... it's just that I think they could have been better.

14. Hunter X

Hunter X Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I had to think a bit about what shows I even watched this season aside from Lost, which satisfied me.

I bailed on The Office and Heroes this year.

I watched Caprica and while I didn't mind it when I watched it, I've found myself not recommending it to people when asked. It just hasn't been all that gripping for me.

15. darthraidr

darthraidr Commodore Commodore

i dont have many shows that i watch first run anymore... so figuring out "seasons" is a bit rough.

Parenthood has been enjoyable and for me, though provoking (as in, do i really want to have kids now, look at the trouble they cause, but look at the joys they bring)

Community has really gotten good in the back half of the season. the mafia episode, the buddy cop episode, the halloween episode and the paintball episode were all awesome!

Friday Night Lights just started up this season on NBC (though i ended it's season a while ago in DirectTV). it's been enjoyable.

Deadliest Warrior is not great TV, but it's entertaining from a geek standpoint.

Justified is okay. not amazing, but it's entertaining (and fun to see Deadwood people reunite).

Life was really good. some amazing stuff shown and it blows the mind to see these crazy animals doing their thing.

16. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Dexter was better in its fourth season than in its third (and now that I've seen it...what an ending!). It didn't match the first two seasons, though, but the fifth season has a lot of promise, especially if they abandon the big bad formula.

Caprica had a rocky start, but it has started to build into something interesting. Of course, if there's no second season, that will be pretty disappointing.

Stargate Universe has mostly been a bore, producing perhaps three episodes that I genuinely liked, but it has terrific production values and Robert Carlyle. If it gets good, it'll be one of those series like Babylon 5 or Star Trek: The Next Generation where any praise has to be qualified when it comes to the first season.

17. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Dexter, The Middle, and... that's it?

The later half of Fringe was a fun ride before the lame ending.

That's what they are planning on doing.

18. Temis the Vorta

Yeah, I don't think Dexter needs its formula at this point. Dexter's internal conflict, amped by the ending of S4, as well as the ever-present prospect of certain important characters learning the truth, is enough to fuel a couple more seasons. And I think that's as long as the story needs. I wanna see two more rocket-powered seasons and then a big finale.

19. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I was happy with many of my shows with Dexter becoming my new number 1 show taking over from last season's Boston Legal.

Bones recovered from an indifferent 4th season and poor season finale to erase any fears of that show going downhill.

While not needing a 9th season, Scrubs was not the trainwreck I imagined but again it was not needed anyway.

Ashes to Ashes along with Torchwood COE were great UK shows though like normal, Doctor Who stole the UK throne with what so far has been a fun ride into the Moffat era after a teary goodbye to the RTD one.

Heroes is the only show to go off my radar, a rare thing for me after sticking with a show for over 3 years. I don't care fot the show and dumped season 4 after seversl weeks.

Also While I like SG-U, Caprica failed to hold me and Sanctuary was meh and took a long break for me to return and finish the season off.

20. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Parks & Recreation - I can't believe NBC is putting this on as a midseason replacement after the season they had. While I was one of the very few that liked the first season, I thought the second season was hilarious and awesome. We really got to see the growth of these characters, and Nick Offerman as Ron was great. There were some many great episodes this season (The Telethon, the Venezuelans, The two part finale, and many others) and it was just fun every week.

30 Rock - While I don't think they had a great season, it was still good. I kinda liked the arc with Jack having to decide between Avery and Nancy, even though the whole "It comes down to fate" message in the finale was a bit unsatisfying. Still, it was a pretty good season and still quite funny. Wish they would feature on the minor characters though, like Pete. Loved Kenneth in the finale though. :guffaw:

Glee - It's not over yet, but I love this show. I love the music, and while some of the stories and themes are not as good, this show is at the best when they have those intimate emotional moments, such as Sectionals, or the last two weeks with Rachael and Shelby sharing a Duet.

Survivor - Not really pleased who won, but still an awesome season. It will be kinda weird going back to 20 new people after this season though.