Poll Which era of Star Trek would you rather see continue?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Saul, Aug 26, 2021.

?

Which era of Star Trek would you rather see continue?

1. Star Trek 1966 to 2005

47 vote(s)
    68.1%
  2. Star Trek 2009 to current

22 vote(s)
    31.9%
  1. Trelane_Squire_of_Gothos

Trelane_Squire_of_Gothos Commander Red Shirt

The poll indicates a different perspective may be more popular. I bet if new Trek was more true to old canon and consistency, it would have been more well-liked.
    My sentiment there is that the saturation of the fan base would have worn off over the course of more than a decade. While Star Trek fans in the early 2000's may have felt saturated by all the Trek shows that came out prior, that sentiment is probably not going to be relevant after the passage of so much time. In fact, as the poll seems to indicate, after enough time people will start to long for what made the franchise in the first place.

2. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh...I see...so it's basically just the 4,567th way of saying "Old stuff good. New stuff bad."

People: I'm going to come up with a new spin on the "Let's say old Star Trek is better than new Star Trek" argument.
    Me:
    [​IMG]

3. Trelane_Squire_of_Gothos

Ha Ha! Substance is certainly important.

4. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The poll is a poor sampling because it is too binary. I didn't vote even though I prefer current Trek over Berman era Trek. But, TOS doesn't belong in that slot so I did not vote. The sampling is artificially limited.

Tim Thomason likes this.
  5. Trelane_Squire_of_Gothos

It's a perfectly fine divide and many people seemed to have no problem making the choice. If you would prefer to measure a different type of divide, you should create your own poll.

Saul likes this.
  6. fireproof78

Because it suits your interests. It is not accurate in the slightest, as well as a self-selective measure which means it's broader application to the population is questionable. I don't need my own poll to know that. "Many people" does not inspire confidence. It's too broad.

Finally, that statistics and measurements class requirement is making a difference!

7. Vger23

Stop it, the poll clearly reflects objective reality.

fireproof78 likes this.
  8. fireproof78

Right, right, sorry. Who am I to argue with such hard and fast facts?

Tim Thomason and Vger23 like this.
  9. Trelane_Squire_of_Gothos

It depends on what you mean by "accurate." It was "accurate" for the pollster and others who were able to make a choice.

I don't think accuracy is really applicable. It's just a different measure than what you might have wanted. It's perfectly understandable though if you don't feel that making your own poll would offer a better representation.
    Oh, don't get me started on "objective reality." Ha Ha!

Saul likes this.
  10. fireproof78

Interesting. Then certainly hard to draw conclusions from it then.

11. SolarisOne

SolarisOne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't know. Lower Decks is innovative and fresh, but it still evokes the earlier period. From what I've seen, it's the most popular of the modern shows. Take from that what you will.

12. fireproof78

Not a whole lot, then.

13. Laughing Dragon

Laughing Dragon Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I very much agree with this. :bolian:

I am sorry but when retconning and retreads/reboots and going back in time and then some more is considered going forward I call it something. And I have seen it happen in another property I have enjoyed. And it continues. I rather there be a next, next generation.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
  14. Vger23

I wouldn't say that at all.

I've seen just as much venom and BS online about LD as I have for any of the other series. I think TrekBBS leans toward liking it, but I don't see that as a broad trend online at all.

fireproof78 likes this.
  15. fireproof78

What do you call it? Curious.

16. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

The fan base does not speak with one voice. We don't all look and dress alike. This is Trek not Maoism

dupersuper and fireproof78 like this.
  17. Trelane_Squire_of_Gothos

Correct. The OP obviously created the poll for that reason. I didn't mean to imply that 100% of the fan base had the same opinions. I was referring to a majority of fans who were brought up on the former era who seem to prefer the older era.

18. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I mean, when I rank the official shows (discounting both after-shows) I generally go:
    1 TOS/TNG/DS9
    2 Lower Decks
    3 Short Treks
    4 TAS/Enterprise/Voyager
    5 Discovery
    6 Picard

So the original series and two of the Berman era shows top my list and two of the new shows are on the bottom. On the other hand I like two of the new shows more than half the Berman era and TAS. So...where does that put me in the new vs. old debate? How will that change when Strange New Worlds and Prodigy start up? I've liked Discovery a little more each season; will that pass TAS/Enterprise/Voyager before it's done? How do fan films/shows factor in, especially once more start taking from the new shows? What about the expanded universe, especially stuff that encompasses all eras like Star Trek Online?

19. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

If you want to look at it like that, then: TOS reruns, the first four movies, TNG on TV, and the Abrams Films.

The End. Without those four, the franchise as we currently know it isn't possible.

TAS, Movies 5-10, DS9, VOY, ENT, DSC, PIC, LD, and Short Treks are secondary in importance when it comes to the overall existence of The Franchise. Not the same as "not important", but secondary nonetheless.

EDITED TO ADD: Bear in mind, I just called a good amount of what I like "secondary", so this isn't based on my tastes. It's based on my reading of the history of Star Trek.

Without TOS's success in reruns, it doesn't return as a film series. Without those first four films proving Star Trek can be more than just a show from the '60s, you don't have demand to bring it back as a show for the '80s in the form of TNG. Without TNG, you don't have DS9, VOY, and ENT. Without the Abrams Films, you don't have evidence Star Trek can be brought back from the dead, and then you don't have any of the Streaming Series.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
    fireproof78 likes this.
  20. fireproof78

Choose wisely.