Poll Which era of Star Trek would you rather see continue?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Saul, Aug 26, 2021.

?

Which era of Star Trek would you rather see continue?

1. Star Trek 1966 to 2005

47 vote(s)
    68.1%
  2. Star Trek 2009 to current

22 vote(s)
    31.9%
  1. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Yes, I'll be watching it when I feel like watching and when I want to watch it as opposed to "I have to watch it!" or "I'm watching it just to watch it!", which will put me into the wrong mindset.

Plus, how can I tell people to stop watching DSC and PIC if they're not enjoying it, if I'm not going to do the same thing when the situation applies to me? I'm not going to ask someone to do something that I wouldn't do myself.

2. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Exactly. Some people need to be reminded of that, either by a smack to the head or a kick in the gut. Thanks for getting that, fp.

Commander Troi likes this.
  3. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Please note: fireproof does not endorse violence of any guide to communicate. Smacks to the head are only allowed under the Gibbs provision.

Commander Troi and Tim Thomason like this.
  4. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

When I re-watched VOY in 2008 (and, actually, the sixth and seventh seasons for the first time), I binged it during Christmas Week that year.

When I watched ENT in 2010, same situation. I binged most of it during Christmas Week. I only absorbed some of it and forgot most of it. 2010 was a pretty stressful year for me. Then I gave it a re-watch in 2020 and, once again, burned through it in a week. And remembered a lot more that second time.

And when I did those binges with VOY and ENT, I went into them with an open mind. I thought to myself, "Okay, this isn't really my style, but let's see what I can still like even while I keep that in mind." In the process, I found quite a few episodes that I thought were good. I feel secure enough in my Trek-leanings that I can say if a series that's not my favorite had a good episode. I don't think a lot of people here have the ability to do that, from what I've seen.

With the way I watched them, I was able to do it very quickly because all the episodes were already out. It didn't drag out over a period of years. And these other fans, who don't do things the way I do them, they're dragging things out for themselves over a period of years. There's no other way for me to say than to say it: I think that's stupid. I have no idea why someone would want to waste their time like that. I never got it, still don't get it, and never will.

I'll give everyone a sound-bite if that's what they're looking for: I think hate-watching is fucking dumb. You can quote me on that.

With Lower Decks, I'll probably just watch an entire season in like five hours or less on a day where I'm in the mood for it, after the season's done. I have to be in the mood to watch something like that because otherwise I'm just not going to enjoy it the way I know it's intended to be enjoyed. I don't think the show is funny (which isn't the same as saying "I think it sucks!" or "I don't think it's any good!"). It can be mildly amusing, but it's not a laugh a minute.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
    Vger23, Qonundrum and Commander Troi like this.
  5. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not going to quote you on that. I believe you.

I misunderestimated my tone earlier today, and didn't think we were talking about the hate-watchers, but thought you were talking about me those weeks ago..

I'm a completionist who wants to know everything that goes on in this world, and the different tones and styles (and especially the prequels!) just make it seem more "real", for a fantasy universe that is.

6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

With the current rate of Trekkake, it's only a matter of time before they make a show I've no interest in. Like Marvel, I loved Jessica Jones and The Punisher, enjoyed Agents if SHIELD, but life was too short to watch Daredevil, Luke Cage, Runaways and the rest. I watched one or two episodes and didn't look back.

Maybe it'll be Prodigy? I won't be able to see it for months after the US anyway. The trailers are pretty but very generic... I don't much care. Saying that, when it finally materialises it could be the best thing ever. We'll see.

Commander Troi and Tim Thomason like this.
  7. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

While there wasn't a very large number of votes it does seem that people are more fond of the continuity and episodic pre 2009 Star Trek than what's currently on offer. I wonder if 'Strange New Worlds' will be embraced more as they are going for story of the week episodes.

8. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

If modern Trek has "proven" anything, it's the potential massive diversity of the Star Trek entertainment portfolio. Every one of these series is very different, and even each individual "Short Trek" was different in tone, setting, and style. I personally love this. The only knock I have about the franchise from 1987-2005 is that it was very homogenous in it's feel, tone, and style. I think it's great that the current production team understands that each new undertaking should be its own thing. Even the two animated series are going to be extraordinarily different from each other.

I say keep it coming.

antinoos and Commander Troi like this.
  9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Neither. Reboot the franchise.

10. fireproof78

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug, especially with limited binary choices.

11. Trelane_Squire_of_Gothos

Trelane_Squire_of_Gothos Commander Red Shirt

Sometimes consumers like brand consistency and don't feel like the "homogenous" nature of the earlier Trek is so bad.

12. fireproof78

It's boring but it's not bad.

13. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Can't really argue too much with that especially with TNG, Voyager and Enterprise. It's also probably why I liked DS9 so much.

14. Vger23

The steady decline of interest in Star Trek during that era doesn’t indicate that trend within our fandom though. It’s clear that people were bored of the same old same old

fireproof78 likes this.
  15. fireproof78

Agreed. Star Trek is a huge variety platform that can allow for multiple stories to be told. TOS was very much this way and is to be commended, not ignored for the potential for different types and styles.

Commander Troi and Vger23 like this.
  16. Trelane_Squire_of_Gothos

Trelane_Squire_of_Gothos Commander Red Shirt

In 2009, yes. They felt saturated. It's 2021 now.
    It sounds like you are referring to superficial designs though, so I don't know why that would be so important to people. Philosophically, DS9 was very different in that it dealt with "shades of grey," where previous incarnations of Star trek had a very clear, black and white understanding of what was right and what was wrong. DS9 had more complicated characters (e.g., the con artist Ferengi bartender turned everyone's favorite bartender and the former Cardassian spy turned Tailor). DS9 was different in substantial ways rather than superficial ways.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
  17. Vger23

I've seen excellent Star Trek episodes in nearly every format:
    Comedy
    Action / Adventure
    Pure Sci-Fi
    Revenge Thriller
    Political Intrigue
    Courtroom Drama
    Medical Drama
    Police Procedural
    Romantic Comedy
    Horror/Thriller
    Combat
    Character Study
    etc etc etc

It's one of the few franchises that can pull this off.

18. fireproof78

And the audience demographics have changed. Creating homogeneity is asking for stagnation and boredom. Audiences move on quickly now. It isn't the Berman era any more and it's time to move on.

Vger23 likes this.
  19. Vger23

Ok...so I'm not sure what you're driving at.

I said Trek felt homogenous from '87 to '05 (maybe with the exception of DS9). What are you arguing, because I can't tell...?

fireproof78 likes this.
  20. fireproof78

That homegenity is a good thing...? Yeah, got nothing.

But, then, the basis of this poll feels very much poorly phrased, which is why I didn't vote. TOS was not TNG, and TNG was not DS9. What the hell do I want to continue? If it's TOS then definitely! If it's ST 09 and DSC and Strange New Worlds, absolutely! If it's Berman then no!