Where does the core saga go after Episode 9?

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Jedi Marso, May 31, 2018.

1. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

This is not The Young Turks. where sarcasm is considered part of a legitimate response

You got it wrong...again. Lucas uses doctrine from Christianity as part of his building of the force and how its used. There's no getting around that.

Nope. You said--

Still incorrect.

Set Harth provided the clear OT dialogue--from Return of the Jedi:

All of Obi-Wan's dialogue:

"To protect you both from the Emperor, you were hidden from your father when you were born. The Emperor knew, as I did, if Anakin were to have any offspring, they would be a threat to him. That is why your sister remains safely anonymous."

She--like Luke was hidden because of their special nature / inherent abilities. Nothing random or a status/ability common to anyone else in that galaxy. No other reason would lead to Kenobi and Yoda's decision, based on the flood of established force-centered reasons why Luke matters at all. Its not about his being a pilot, shooting womp rats in his T-Sixteen, being a rebel, or even destroying the Death Star. He is that hero born with unique powers threatening universal victory/change and that is the reason he (and his sister) were hidden. So again, you are incorrect.

Are you sure you were watching the OT and not Battle Beyond the Stars or Starcrash?

Yeah, but the reason we had the Jedi and Sith view (and no other in the O/PT is thanks to Lucas clearly laying it (the force) out as a religion/philosophy that required training/doctrine not only as the way to understand it / access supernatural powers, but to be the very black and white backdrop for the morality play he created. Being unambiguous was the only and best way to get that morality play across to his target audience.

USS Firefly and Refuge like this.
  2. Spot261

Spot261 Vice Admiral Admiral

Nope, it's human discourse where sarcasm is a perfectly legitimate response to something which warrants nothing better.

So when are you going to provide any evidence? All you've shown us is some of the imagery reflects Christianity. Which I had already said.

Where exactly in the dialogue does it actually say what you claim it says? Where does it mention the force at all?

So again, no I'm not. He was a threat to the Emperor because he was Anakin's offspring, that's all it says. The force, or his ability with it, isn't mentioned in there at all.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  3. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Also, the Authorian legends called on the Fae and pagan mythology far more than Christian.

Spot261 likes this.
  4. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sorry, this will bother me. It's Authurian. Right now reads like its a legend of an Author...

Spot261 likes this.
  5. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Sorry, I never could get that one right.

Spot261 likes this.
  6. fireproof78

It's ok. I didn't want to come across as the spelling police but, it stuck out...

Spot261 and Kemaiku like this.
  7. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

And why exactly would Anakin's offspring be a threat, to not only the Emperor but also Vader? Is everyone else in the universe to be considered equally a threat? Perhaps there's other OT dialogue that might clear up the mystery. What must not happen to Anakin's son, according to Palpatine? What is special about the family tree, according to Luke?
    [​IMG]

TREK_GOD_1 likes this.
  8. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Director Christopher McQuarrie admits he no longer wants to make a Star Wars movie because of some of the franchise’s more virulent fans.

https://www.cbr.com/christopher-mcquarrie-star-wars-toxic-fandom/

For those that don't know. He's the director of Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation and its upcoming sequel,

McQuarrie also stepped in to help with the reshoots of Rogue One,.

Some of the twitter posts

I've never associated the Star Wars franchise as having a stigma to it

"Cross if you dare."

"WARNING! Bigot Fans are closer than they appear"

Now someone's got to have nerves of steel to dive into any future SW movies.

Locutus of Bored and Spot261 like this.
  9. Spot261

For the reasons already explained to you?

Yes, what's most telling is what isn't said. Palpatine sees Luke as a threat, bit at no point in over seven hours of screen time does he link that to Luke's force abilities, force abilities which are demonstratably no match for his own.

What he is worried about is exactly what happens in practise, Luke becomes a political threat to the delicate power balance on which he has built his Empire

10. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Except for the part where he talks about Luke becoming a Jedi. No connection between Jedi and the Force is implied at all, right?

Who's "we"? Midichlorians changed nothing, and at the same time midichlorians were introduced it was made clear that everyone has midichlorians. If you had the understanding from the OT that everyone had equal potential to use the Force, then that was something you projected onto the OT, because it establishes nothing of the sort. In fact, it had every opportunity to go there, yet it declined, for some reason.

You're continually getting Star Wars confused with the real world. "The Force is like basketball because I say it is" doesn't make for promising logic.

TLJ has done nothing of the sort. You appear to have hallucinated. Unless you'd care to explain where in the film this takes place. Does the film even use the word "anyone"?

Luke said he'd only ever seen Rey's raw Force strength in one other person. Did that fail to leave an impression, just because the hated Word Which Must Not Be Spoken was left out?

It's confirmed to the fullest extent that it possibly could be. ( Yet somehow, that's never enough, which says something in and of itself. ) We can't have the author suddenly materialize bodily into the film to tell you what's going on. He's left only with the capacity to say the same thing outside of the film. ( And of course the fact that he says the same thing his characters are saying is somehow totally irrelevant, because it's unhelpful to fan revisionism. ) So yeah no, it most definitely is not.

Variable innate Force sensitivity is a social construct, right? :techman:

Complete bullshit. The novelization's treatment of the scene in question is fully consistent with the film on this point. Shocker! Novelizations tend to do that sometimes, they're tricky like that.

But speaking of the novelization:

Refuge likes this.
  11. Spot261

The following dialogue includes every instance of Palpatine using the word "Jedi" in ROTJ:

Please tell me where that supports your case?

I'm not sure you've read my posts correctly, oh, wait:

So you did read them, you just didn't follow them and are contradicting yourself trying to argue two contradictory cases in error. You complain I'm stating the force is equally available to everyone, then you are complaining I speak of heritability of aptitude....please try to follow the conversation

What exactly did you take home from the closing scene where the servant boy picks up a broom with the force, with Luke's monologues about the arrogance and hubris of the Jedi assuming they were the sole masters of the force, about how the force is present in every living being? Where they put there for shits and giggles?

12. fireproof78

Yes. TLJ was a light hearted comedy after all ;)

Spot261 and Campe like this.
  13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I always thought it was 100% crystal clear that only a relatively small group of people actually had Force powers. That was the whole reason the Jedi and Sith were always treated as such a special thing, because they were some of the few people who actually able to use The Force. This did eventually expand to include other groups, but it's still not everyone, it's maybe a few thousand or even maybe even millions out of a galaxy of trillions.
    He didn't use it because it was self explanatory.

That wasn't showing that everyone could use The Force, it was showing that anyone, no matter their situation, could potentially use The Force. Yes there is a difference, a big one. Anyone could potentially be a Grammy Award winning singer, but not everyone can be.

14. Hela

Hela Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

*whispers*

It’s been four days...

Spot261 likes this.
  15. Spot261

How and where was it stated or implied that only a minority could use the force? Note I didn't say "become a Jedi", I said "use the force".

If there's no evidence to the affirmative all you have is your own unsupported interpretation, you projected your own version of the universe onto the films. Simply saying some version of "we only see a minority of the characters using it" does not suffice as evidence there is some excluding factor.

Ummmm, no. You claimed he did say it. He didn't. In fact there's nothing whatsoever about that arc which necessitates Luke having force ability at all, nor is it implied. That's exactly why the exiled royal is such a trope throughout fiction, the idea of a child (or adult) who represents a threat tot he political power base.

Well, no, those are the same statement rephrased; "everyone could use the force", "anyone could potentially use the force", unless you are using the weaker form of the latter (social status and position is irrelevant) in which case THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I SAID IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!!!

16. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Much like most of your posts where you insist on denying that which is an obvious part of this franchise's history.

Still in denial mode, as I've already posted the SW plots and concepts and its Biblical references. To finish this off, Anakin being the "Chosen One" and the product of a virgin birth is a direct analogue to Christ, despite Palpatine's suggestions of life manipulation by Darth Plagueis, which again was mere suggestion to further confuse and corrupt power-hungry Anakin.

Exactly. The hologram scene in TESB spells it all out: Luke is not only all but screamed to be special, but the Emperor wanting Luke to be prevented from becoming a Jedi says it all. This is not something shared by the faceless, random people of the galaxy.

Yes, he's projecting based on no film evidence. In the PT, the existence of Midichlorians were never said to be "an equal opportunity gateway to use the force" at all, not by Jinn, Windu, Sidious, Yoda, Dooku, Kenobi, Maul or anyone else knowledgeable in the doctrine / spiritualism of the force. The only reason Jinn said anything to Anakin about it was his belief that Anakin was the Chosen One, and wanted to start him on a rudimentary understanding of the force. He did not have that conversation with commoners walking the streets of Anywhere, Galaxy. Moreover, the Jedi were finite in number because of force potential/access/understanding was not to be found in every random person.

The latter. The bottom line is that Luke only saw that in one other person. He never said or implied the faceless numbers had that level of ability/connection/potential at all.

Revisionism is correct, and its a view wiling to wipe away all developed/established in the O/PT all for whatever the sequel trilogy slapped on the series, no matter how out of step with the other films..

17. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

That rather says all that needs to be said!

TREK_GOD_1 likes this.
  18. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I think one of the most common mental stumbling blocks with this whole thing is the very notion of "force powers". Really speaking, there's no such thing as a "force power".
    This may seem like semantics, but it's pretty fundamental to how the whole thing works: force "sensitivity" is not a binary state, it's a gradient. All living things are a part of the force, from microbes to megafauna and everything in-between.
    The reason there was only 10,000 or so Jedi at any given time isn't because there were only that many force sensitives in the galaxy, it's because the Jedi (and by extension, the Sith) selected only those born with a preternatural gift for communing with the force. They were natural prodigies. Savants. This made them easier and quicker to train (sound ominously familiar? It should!) No meditating on a mountain peak for 30 years to achieve inner peace and connect to the force within; these little Mozarts were born with an innate talent. That's not the same thing as being the only one's that could possibly train as Jedi or Sith, they're just the ones the Jedi and Sith *wanted*.

I get the sense that in the old days, Jedi reciters let the force guide them to those that would be their students and didn't rely so much on blood tests, standardised examinations or rigid criteria. Not sure why that changed; perhaps it was just the inevitable rot of bureaucracy taking root over the course of millennia. Perhaps it was a direct reaction to the Sith schism that they felt compelled to become more organised in recruiting as many powerful candidates as possible to stand against the growing darkness.
    Either way, the Jedi got it into their heads that they were somehow different or special, loosing sight of what they once were and becoming just another religion more concerned with self perpetuation than the purpose they originally served.

19. Spot261

Obvious to you maybe, but that's not exactly enough to build a case is it?

So yet again, nothing to do with the mechanics of the force? Is there a required number of times a simple concept has to be repeated before you comprehend it?

Which no one has claimed. Try reading.

Clearly this is going nowhere, nice chatting, shame you can't keep up :angel:

20. Jedi Marso

Jedi Marso Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So....all talk of midichlorians aside, where do you think the core saga goes or should go story-wise after Episode IX?