When would you have preferred to the next series to take place?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Annorax849, Aug 17, 2016.

?

Which setting? All are Prime unless stated otherwise

1. A few decades after Enterprise

6 vote(s)
    14.0%
  2. The period before TOS (basically Discovery)

4 vote(s)
    9.3%
  3. During TOS Movies

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. A few decades before ST '09, Alternate Timeline

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  5. During or after movies, Alternate Timeline

4 vote(s)
    9.3%
  6. Between TUC and TNG

4 vote(s)
    9.3%
  7. 2390s (basically being about as far past Nemesis as reality)

9 vote(s)
    20.9%
  8. Mid to late 25th century, still optimistic

3 vote(s)
    7.0%
  9. Mid to late 25th century, post-apocalyptic or highly negative setting

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  10. 30th Century or later

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  11. Other

8 vote(s)
    18.6%
  12. Reboot (third timeline) of a known crew

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Reboot (third timeline) with original characters

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  1. Annorax849

Annorax849 Commander Red Shirt

It seems debates about the merits of sequels vs. prequels have been popping up lately. I was curious which scenario is the most popular here.

2. Degra1

Degra1 Lieutenant Red Shirt

In the 25th century roughly 70-100 years after TNG Nemesis film. That way a significant amount of time would have passed; you could revisit and explore familiar aliens from TOS/TNG/DS9 and how they've changed and evolved since then which would have definitely been intriguing Plus no continuity constraints

You can also introduce brand new aliens and threats the way TNG did with the Borg and DS 9 did with the Dominion.

3. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Pretty much any of the above (except the 25th century negative setting or NuTrek timeline), I just want Trek on TV!

4. SpaceLama

SpaceLama Commander Red Shirt

Anything really - so I'm happy with DSC.

LtChange likes this.
  5. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Early 25th-Century, far enough away for a new Enterprise after Picard's, but not so far enough away that some 24th-Century designs are still around. I wouldn't mind if there had been some event that had shaken up both Starfleet & the Federation, forcing some major changes since Nemesis, but I wouldn't want things to be dystopian or post-apocalyptic.

6. LtChange

LtChange Captain Captain

I was expecting something between TUC and TNG, but I'm fine with the 10 years before TOS settings.

7. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

10 years after Enterprise, aboard a Daedalus class ship called Discovery. Space exploration, spiced up with flashbacks to 2155-61 for characters still coming to terms with what happened to them during the Romulan War. What occured to such and such a person they knew, how they died and why the Captain doesn't talk about the day he met the enemy face-to-face would all be covered. Likeliest explanation: Classified. For the sake of holding the Federation together and lingering human bigotry on Earth towards our pointy-eared allies.

Idris Elba's Captain Edison and the U.S.S. Franklin turning up in an episode. Maybe a cliffhanger somewhere, where Michael Dorn appears as an afflicted, flat-headed, despotic kind of Klingon.

The show would be called "To Boldly Go", leaving Netflix with the option of subtitling it "A Star Trek Story" underneath.

Some of the crew have old school music tastes, so don't be surprised if you hear Classic Rock 1960's through to the 1990's, blaring out of crew quarters and at other work stations away from the bridge. I blame the ship's historian and her taste in music. Still, at least nobody sings or plays the guitar during the main title sequence any more.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  8. Ensign_Redshirt

Ensign_Redshirt Commodore Commodore

A 31st century show could have been interesting. By then, the Federation would probably resemble the Culture from Iain Banks' novels. :wtf:

But Discovery's setting is also fine as it is.

9. -SS-

-SS- Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The movie era has my favorite visual style, and the time right after TUC is bursting with potential for galacti-political drama, intrigue, and action, between the Federation, Klingons, and Romulans, and could make great allegories for the social and geopolitical situations of today.

But for a new exploratory "where no one has gone before" series, I think there has to be a complete ground-up reboot. A fresh universe, new characters, as hard sci-fi as possible while still being able to explore the galaxy at a reasonable pace. Completely free from the constraints of canon, able to discover and rediscover without having to worry about contradicting or fitting in with anything that happened before.

10. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    I want to see Bryan Fuller's take on Star Trek. The imaginary year he picks is the least important creative choice he's going to make.

Shalashaska likes this.
  11. Shalashaska

Shalashaska Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This thread is posted all the time, and my response is usually the same.

Do not care.

Bry_Sinclair likes this.
  12. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wanted pre-TOS, but in an all-new continuity. So I've definitely got half of what I wanted, and suspect they're going to play fast and loose with continuity (especially visually) so I may have the rest as well :)

13. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Reboot with Kirk, Spock and the Enterprise. But I'll give Discovery a chance.

14. Tim Walker

Tim Walker Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

2390s.

I can imagine a devastated Federation in the aftermath of the Borg incursions/Dominion War. But there in an intriguing discovery-a stable wormhole that permits access to another galaxy.

15. TonyLeung82

TonyLeung82 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

A 31st Century would be the best choice of all. Nobody understands that in this time time travel is normal, like you have seen in Enterprise with the cold temporal War and the agent Daniels. The show plays in 31st Century, and because of Time Travels you can reach each possible time (2152, 2290, 2390, 2450). You could reach EVERY time.
    So with the setting in this late century you could have had the choice to show all mentioned time period.
    I really really hope they just say it only plays in 2255, but in real it is time travel from 31st century...

16. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

Voted "other" - don't care all that much.

17. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd rather the new show be it's own thing, not tied to the so-called Prime universe or the Kelvin U. Hell, if it were another reboot of TOS, that would've been daring. If we can have a TV Superman (in SUPERGIRL) and a movie Superman (Henry Cavil) then we can certainly have a TV Kirk (maybe Jane T. Kirk) and a movie Kirk (Chris Pine). ;)

18. Tim Walker

Tim Walker Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Actually, my first choice would be a complete reboot, a sort of Star Trek meets the X-Files.

19. Balok's Decoy

Balok's Decoy Commodore Commodore

I picked "Other" because there wasn't an "I don't care as long as the stories and characters are good" option. I mean, obviously if you go too far back in time then it's not really Star Trek. Before ENT would be too far. But anything between the founding of the Federation and, well, eternity, is fine by me as long as I care about the characters and the stories are compelling.

20. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

So, Mass Effect: Andromeda? :lol: