When did the Janeway hatred truly start to coalesce?

Well... they're better looking than Jeri Ryan in the late 90's.:rommie:

%D0%B0%D1%85%D0%B0%D1%85.gif

I did a surf on the web for Jeri Ryan and People Magazine; she's had multiple articles.
https://people.com/tag/jeri-ryan/

So if she didn't make the cut when she arrived on VOY, which I doubt because there's no question how good looking she is, People magazine made a Herculean effect to make up for it.

In this instance, I do not possess your surety. You see, Tuvok was fully Vulcan and not at all interested in seeking out/struggling with inner humanity in the manner of Spock.

The Average viewer in flyover country wouldn't have made that distinction ("Vulcan First Officer? That's just like Kirk and Spock!")

The Average viewer in flyover country wouldn't have made that distinction ("Vulcan First Officer? That's just like Kirk and Spock!")

Eminently reasonable. With entertainment, even if you don't court the LCD, the LCD still has a way of courting you.

Please avoid the derogatory "flyover country" stereotype. Many of us in the Midwest live in cities as sophisticated as any on the coasts, including my hometown of Cincinnati, which is one of the nation's leading centers of art, culture, and education.

I don't think Ryan was on the show yet, Jennifer Lien was still a cast member.

I know, but this was in Year 3 of the show. Lien and Wang were presumably both still present and both in the showrunners' crosshairs. By featuring Wang, People is believed to have influenced the showrunners to terminate Lien and eliminate Kes.

Assuming they do one of these "beautiful people" rags a year, that would have made Ryan a candidate in Year 4. Maybe they didn't want to do Voyager characters two years in a row, despite Ryan being a very logical choice.

I know, but this was in Year 3 of the show. Lien and Wang were presumably both still present and both in the showrunners' crosshairs. By featuring Wang, People is believed to have influenced the showrunners to terminate Lien and eliminate Kes.

Assuming they do one of these "beautiful people" rags a year, that would have made Ryan a candidate in Year 4. Maybe they didn't want to do Voyager characters two years in a row, despite Ryan being a very logical choice.

The showrunners wanted to cancel Wang, and it was the network that forbade them.

Please avoid the derogatory "flyover country" stereotype. Many of us in the Midwest live in cities as sophisticated as any on the coasts, including my hometown of Cincinnati, which is one of the nation's leading centers of art, culture, and education.

The average viewer is not going to pay attention too much to the fact that Spock was half human. They're going to focus more on the Vulcan First Officer notion and how it reminded them of TOS.

The average viewer is not going to pay attention too much to the fact that Spock was half human. They're going to focus more on the Vulcan First Officer notion and how it reminded them of TOS.

And you could've made that point without resorting to condescending slurs about "flyover country."

Last edited:

"Once a Vulcan, always a Vulcan." Plus, it did not help matters that more effort was put into making Nimoy's half-Vulcan Spock stand out (the greenish tint!) compared to most full-blooded Vulcans that looked human aside from their noticeably pointy ears.

Last edited:
Plus, it did not help matters that more effort was put into making Nimoy's half-Vulcan Spock stand out (the greenish tint!) compared to most full-blooded Vulcans that looked human aside from their noticeably pointy ears.

I'm pretty sure that most Vulcan actors throughout the franchise's history have always been made up with the "LN-1" color that was invented for Leonard Nimoy. I've never thought that Spock looked any more greenish than other Vulcans.

Really, though, looking at early TOS, I get the impression that pure-blooded "Vulcanians" were originally meant to look less human than Spock did. In "Mudd's Women," Harry Mudd recognized Spock as "part-Vulcanian" on sight, implying that there was a clear visual difference between a part-Vulcanian and a full Vulcanian. And before that, in "The Corbomite Maneuver," Spock said that the Scary Balok Puppet reminded him of his father, implying a more "monstrous" look for his father's species. But that idea was abandoned by the time we got to "Balance of Terror," I guess so that the possible relationship between Spock and the Romulans would be immediately obvious to the audience.

I've often wondered what pure Vulcans/Vulcanians might have looked like if TOS had stuck with that original intention. Maybe they would have been greener, or had larger pointed ears.

And before that, in "The Corbomite Maneuver," Spock said that the Scary Balok Puppet reminded him of his father, implying a more "monstrous" look for his father's species.
I always thought that he meant his father acted similarly, not that he was similar in appearance.

I always thought that he meant his father acted similarly, not that he was similar in appearance.

Sure, that's how it sounds to us now, knowing what other Vulcans and particularly Spock's father looked like. But I'm trying to set aside all that later knowledge and consider what the line could have meant at the time it was written, just one episode before "Mudd's Women" apparently assuming that Spock was visually distinguishable from a full Vulcanian.

Back