What's the deal with Saavik?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Tosk, Jun 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpyOne

SpyOne Captain Captain

@TrickyDickie
    If you prefer to think of Kirk as a guy who wouldn't have sex with a woman who he wasn't married to, I don't feel a need to change your mind.
    I don't need to yuck your yum, as the kids apparently say these days.
    My main point still holds: women generally found him attractive, and not just physically. If he had asked Yeoman Rand, for example, he probably would have gotten a yes, even though (perhaps even because) he wouldn't ask.
    He sees that David has that too, and is simultaneously proud and jealous.

2. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Actually no. In Rand's case, he did ask, and she said no. As both characters were written, they placed duty above their feelings and whinged about it when only their minds were unbalanced.

That said , it doesn't change the fact that she wanted to, which is the point you are making. ;-p

3. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

Kirk was not shown in a committed relationship in TOS or any of the movies (minus the Nexus) so even if he was a womaniser or into casual sex...so what?

4. Gavin70

Gavin70 Commander Red Shirt

I never really got the sense that Kirk was a womaniser or into casual sex. Just that he had a tendency to fall in love easily only to discover that his commitment to Enterprise outweighed his ability to commit to a relationship.

5. TrickyDickie

TrickyDickie Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In my opinion, it just doesn't fit his character as depicted in TOS....including the TOS movies.

In TVH, Spock has this line, describing Kirk:

"He is a man of deep feelings."

In TWOK, we got that he wanted to be around when he could for David growing up. But Carol thought that his career as a starship captain would create a negative influence.

These and other things suggest that he would be unlikely to have casual sex whenever the opportunity presented itself.

6. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

Kirk witnessed half the people on the planet he was living on vaporized right in front of him as a teenager. And he certainly seems to have bumped around a lot world to world as a Starfleet brat, never putting down roots, unlike his brother. He might have had trouble committing. Anyway he was married to the Big E.

7. Nyotarules

He was easily infatuated but I would not call it love, since he forgot all about the women once the mission was over. I guess since TOS was not episodic it never dealt with consequences of the characters' actions (TWOK being the exception to the rule).
    And being a man who enjoys the company of women does not mean one would not be a good father as well, some people make great parents but lousy partners.

"He is a man of deep feelings"
    People of 'deep feelings' can still be womanisers, or have lots of lovers and have deep attachments to their career, friends and colleagues. In Kirk's case his deep feelings were for his ship not even Starfleet. since he was never happy as an Admiral. A person can be uncommitted when it comes to romantic relationships, into casual sex and short term romances etc and still have 'deep feelings,' its about what or who you have deep feelings for. The two are not mutually exclusive, his inability to commit to females and put a large metal ship before any woman would be a therapist dream patient come true.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    XCV330 likes this.
  8. Pauln6

This begs the question, was his self imposed ban on dating subordinates sensible? If he'd found the right woman among his crew, could they have made it work? He's not Picard. Kirk sends Helen Noel into danger in a heartbeat.

9. TrickyDickie

We don't know what he thought, because the producers didn't follow up on those plot elements in later episodes.

I took it as being more Starfleet frowning on fraternization with subordinates in the chain of command.

Lance likes this.
  10. Pauln6

It's unclear because it only seems to apply to the captain so it might be self imposed. We see officers of different rank dating and marrying while serving on the same ship. Kirk mentions that other crewmen are ' allowed ' to notice Rand.

Chekov was technically Landon's superior officer.

Lance likes this.
  11. TrickyDickie

Yeah, it might only be a prohibition where the captain is concerned.

I've been thinking about the whole casual sex issue and whereas we have HIV, HPV, and other issues to concern us in the here-and-now, that may all be resolved by the 23rd century.

On the lighter side, maybe they solved it by everyone having some kind of a greeble on an inner thigh that sounds a loud alarm if disease is detected.

Could get a bit awkward, though. :lol:

Lance likes this.
  12. Pauln6

Space herpes can be a bitch!

Seriously though, incompatible bacterial biomes leaking out in breath or saliva, or sweat would be far more of a concern than STIs.

Lance likes this.
  13. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just ask the crew in Ice Pirates!

To use one of the theories regarding the origins of many STIs, incompatible bacterial biomes could create a whole slew of new ones.

Pauln6 likes this.
  14. JKM

JKM Commander Red Shirt

Maybe that was with Spock's help, sneaking up on him when he was unconscious and making him forget. :vulcan::guffaw:

Nyotarules likes this.
  15. Pauln6

The memories may fade but the rash remains.

16. Nyotarules

An organisation which sends mainly single, sentient human males into space on 5 year missions and expects them to be celibate needs to change the rules. No wonder in TOS the other aliens refused to join.

17. Gavin70

Gavin70 Commander Red Shirt

There's nothing that indicates a requirement for celibacy. Just rules on fraternising with subordinates. Which really only impacts the Captain and 1st Officer as the only ones without other crew at the same rank. And if it's anything like military fraternisation rules it's more about ensuring that the chain of command isn't compromised and there is no appearance of unfairness or improper use of rank for personal gain. So relationships (even between a captain and an ensign) might not be prohibited, but if the ensign that's sleeping with the captain gets a sudden series of promotions, there would be questions asked.

TrickyDickie likes this.
  18. Nyotarules

In real life that is understandable for humans but operating Federation Starfleet under totally human rules went out the window in TNG. The Andorian Imperial army had fraternisation (Shran/Talas) and due to the 7 year itch Vulcan would see the logic having couples on the ship. I doubt they all dumped their cultural norms when the Federation was formed.

Pauln6 and TrickyDickie like this.
  19. TrickyDickie

I agree that even in the here-and-now if it can be done reasonably, with no abuse of any kind, let them alone about it.

20. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

HPV is a new one on me??
    JB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.