What's in YOUR 'head canon'?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Jedi Marso, Jul 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I wish that was the case. But the evidence suggests Starfleet is all they have.

2. Dilandu

Dilandu Commander Red Shirt

Well, that's what we have headcanon for)

somebuddyX likes this.
  3. BillJ

But it seems even head canon should make some sense in context with what is portrayed on screen.

4. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

In my headcanon, we're still in the 23rd century.

Kor

BillJ likes this.
  5. stardream

stardream Commodore Commodore

Everything. All of it. TV, movies, books, comics. It's all canon. If something contradicts something it just took place in another timeline/alt universe. :D

6. Dilandu

Dilandu Commander Red Shirt

Please, the screen contradicted itself pretty often.

7. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

My head-continuity (ahem ;) ) includes pretty much everything we've been given, EXCEPT I choose not to accept Simon Pegg's recent comments about the Kelvin timeline having a changed past as well as future. He's not writing any more films, after all, and what he did say didn't show up in Beyond. So it really doesn't make any difference - yet - what he just said.

Ceridwen likes this.
  8. Jedi Marso

Jedi Marso Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is a portion of my head canon in the form of a timeline, some of which includes the source from which I derive it. Not that while some events in my timeline are listed as coming from 'Enterprise', I consider that timeline an alternate one to the prime, or in this case, my head canon. Just some stuff runs parallel.

*John Ford Klingons are canon, TNG Klingons are NOT.

9. Vorpal_Blade

Vorpal_Blade Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I like to think that Event Horizon is a precursor to the Warhammer 40000 universe. It has the 'warp' as being a terrible, evil place much like what it is in WH40K. In regards to the question at hand though. I feel that TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT are all canon. I cannot wrap my head around the new movies being canon. :-)

10. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Sisko: "Dammit, Worf, where's our military fleet!?!"
    Worf: "Currently located in @Dilandu 's head, sir!"

11. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No matter what was shown in the movies, to me TOS photon torpedoes were some sort of super-advanced energy blasts, not long black things that could double as space caskets.

12. Ghost

Ghost Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hmm, difficult and probably one I won't be finishing for quite some time.
    I am not going to bother with making a timeline because then I will probably be busy for hours, I will just mentioned the series/movies, books, games, and comics I consider canon/would like to be canon.

Television/Movies

The Original Series/Star Trek The Next Generation/Deep Space Nine/Voyager.
    (in Threshold Paris was never 'everywhere', rather an unusual phenomenon took place that happens to unprotected vessels when they reach transwarp speeds. Special shielding is needed as otherwise the phenomenon causes cellular mutations and regression of genetics. It also causes any crew's mind to become delusional and experience hallucinations)
    (rather than a constant Warp speed varies throughout the galaxy and beyond, apparently some limitations are a local effect due to the presence of the number of stars/star systems/dark matter/spatial phenomenon/etc. In some areas much higher warp speeds are attainable, increasing the distance a regular warp drive can cover cross, hence why it is possible to reach the edge of the galaxy within months)
    (the Borg Queen was never the 'leader' of the Borg Collective, mere a more sophisticated 'spokesperson', consequently Borg Queen's never had their own separate personalities, rather the Collective 'focused' more through such a spokesperson; being more aware of the actions of individuals. The Collective is still a unified mind spreads across billions of drones, ships, and installations)

The Original Series movies. (not a fan of The Motion Picture or the Final Frontier but they happened)
    The The Next Generation movies. (in general I have found this an average lot, even First Contact sadly does not hold up when you compare to the series it is based on, but some of its events did have impact on the Star Trek universe)

The Hobus supernova did not take place or was just a regular supernova and no such nonsense as a nova traveling at warp speed while increasing in power as it consumed planets and other stars.
    Thus Romulus and Remus are still around.

Comics

Star Trek Early Voyages
    Star Trek All of Me
    Star Trek Voyager Splashdown
    Star Trek Voyager Planet Killer (not brilliant but amusing enough)

Star Trek Assignment Earth
    Star Trek Crew
    Star Trek Doctor McCoy Frontier Doctor
    Star Trek Romulans one-shot/Hollow Crown/Schism

I would like to consider New Visions head canon but need to read some more issues before I can be a hundred percent on that one.

Mentioning goes to Star Trek Starfleet Academy (Marvel's not IDW), great fun but a little to comic book-y, and the Telepathy War crossover which I think would make an exciting TNG/DSN crossover right before the Dominion War.

Books

Mudd in your eye (always enjoy seeing Harry Mudd showing up again, stirring up trouble while working on some scheme to get rich, and these usually blowing up in his face)
    The Rift
    The Captain's Daughter
    (I would have to read Peter David's TNG books again to see which ones I would consider canon)

I would like to consider the New Frontier series canon but it is somewhat comic book like. Great fun to read but not very realistic.

Mentioning goes to The Final Reflection, still a very enjoyable book but it does not connect to how Klingons are depicted in TNG.

Games

Star Trek 25th Anniversary/Judgment Rites
    Star Trek TNG A Final Unity
    Star Trek Bridge Commander

I would love to consider Star Trek Voyager Elite Force 1 and Deep Space Nine The Fallen canon but there would be some clashing with the television show. At least the Grigari as depicted in The Fallen are canon in my head; cybernetic traders/mercenaries/scavengers/pirates from the Beta Quadrant.

Unrelated

Starfleet is the Federation's primary defense and exploration organization. Planetary security is handled by Federation Security and local Law Enforcement organizations. These do work together with Starfleet in case of interplanetary crimes or cases involving the Prime Directive.
    Though not completely militaristic in nature, Starfleet is organized along military structure and hierarchy.

There are Starfleet Marines/Ground forces. In general they serve along Starfleet Security forces, handling the same tasks and assisting in emergency and humanitarian aid, but situations of war they are the primary troops when it comes to boarding vessels and space installations belong to hostile civilizations and the first to be send down to a planet to engages hostiles and secure the surface.
    (and yes, there are anti grav armored vehicles, tanks analogues, artillery, and so on)

During Kirk's five year mission there may only have been twelve constitution class starships in the Starfleet, but it included dozens of other classes and variants which numbered up to the hundreds if not a few thousand vessels. (these include shuttles, in system ships, support vessels, and so on).
    The entire fleet did not consist of 'just' twelve ships.

Most space faring civilizations that are a member of the Federation maintain their own fleets next to supporting the Federation starfleet.
    In general most civilizations no longer sport any military fleet or large ones as duties such as patrolling and protecting territory, interstellar trade routes, and so on are handled by Starfleet. (there are a few exceptions with species who have a long martial history such as the Andorians but their fleets in general stay in their own territories).

Starfleet and these local military/defense forces do work together on some operations and there are a few clauses in interstellar treaties that allows Starfleet Command to conscript the defense fleets of Federation members into Starfleet. (in case of a situation in which local Starfleet forces have suffered severe losses or require more number than are currently available. This is rare however as more of the non Starfleet fleets are not up to the standards of Starfleet vessels)

Civilizations do however have patrol and defense ships to maintain the security of their own systems (often own designs though there are also general designs and starship technologies available through a number of design and starship building companies throughout the Federation)
    Most civilizations also have their own trading fleets, transport fleets for civilians and VIPs, and sometimes their own exploration fleets.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  13. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

Most of my "head canon" pertains to my Star Trek namesake.

Clark Terrell and James T. Kirk were classmates at Starfleet Academy but did not meet (as stated by Terrell in ST II) until shortly before Terrell's death.

Terrell and Leonard McCoy were close friends and served together prior to McCoy joining the Enterprise crew.

Terrell was a double-major at Starfleet Academy (as stated by David Mack) and originally followed the sciences track before showing an aptitude for command while serving under then-Captain Jose Mendez, who recommended him for the first officer position aboard the USS Sagittarius.

Between commanding the Sagittarius and the Reliant, Terrell served in Starfleet Intelligence and worked closely with Admiral Lance Cartwright (with whom he did not get along). While with SI, Terrell travelled to Romulus, where he worked undercover for several months, forming a close friendship with a Romulan physician and scientist named Sran, who later participated in an officer exchange program so that he could serve under Terrell aboard the Reliant.

14. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

Well, let me first say some thigns are subjective, but to say all fans have their own subjective idea of canon is a little overobard. We all agree on a number of canon entries. It's not until poor spin-off series and bad writers that the prime universe starts to fall apart from a thousand cuts. Which is a dman shame, considering part of TNG and all the spin-off series took place while the internet existed; if they wreen't sure, all they had to do is ask fans at one of plenty of boards (though less now). Make a fake name, ask without sounding like a writer fishing for information they could alreayd have, and then hope the people who hired them forget there are things like Memory Alpha and TrekCore out there and that there is no excuse for not knowing something that's readily avialable to know.

My head canon is a little different though. First of all: the "Enterprise" series never happened. Voyager never happened. Firtst Contact, Insurrection, and most especially Nemesis, NEVER HAPPENED. "Code of Honor" is erased from canon.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  15. BillJ

Star Trek: The Motion Picture takes place in a different universe than The Original Series. They are just too visually different to be part of the same universe.

The Lensman likes this.
  16. Annorax849

Annorax849 Commander Red Shirt

Even though humans had contact with the Klingons in 2151, they didnt officially have contact with the Federation until 2218, so the first 57 years of the Federation were a golden age of peace.

There was also last 20 year period of peace in the 24th century after the Romulans vanished following the Tomed Incident until the Cardassians became a threat.

17. Terok Nor

Terok Nor Commodore Commodore

I hate everything they did in "Enterprise". I'd have preferred not to have seen anything that happened in that show. Nothing else in Star Trek is a big enough turn off for me to totally disregard it but Enterprise is the exception. I admit I was never interested in a prequel in the first place so it was an instant turn off but they could have won me over if the writing and storylines were half way decent. They weren't. By the time it started behaving like a prequel to TOS and not a side spin off to the TNG era it was already too late. All the nods and callbacks to the other shows just came off like fan wank in order to prevent its cancellation. I didn't feel that show had anything special to say for itself and was a waste of time that delivered the death blow to Star Trek that could have been avoided if it had simply been half way decent. The last episode said it all. The complete failure to tie it into the established continuity led to the last ditch effort of having TNG era characters validating its existence and resulted in one of the worst Star Trek episodes of all time.

It being a prequel makes it easy to ignore in my head canon. It doesn't follow up any of the other shows and isn't referenced in them so is easily disregarded. I'm not crazy about the Kelvin Universe either but at least it has the decency to be an alternate reality so it doesn't have any impact on what came before. To me, Enterprise did not happen.

Stewey and ihno like this.
  18. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

The only TV series I omit (or evict!) from headcanon is Enterprise. It was all just a holonovel that Riker watches.
    Some of TAS is too crazy to have been "real", but then so was much of TOS! :lol:
    I delete some of Voyager such as the "no maneuvering at warp" shit, and the salamanders.
    I don't read Trek novels, so none of them are included.
    The TOS and TNG movies are all included, even if some were stupid and bad.
    I reserve the right to pick and choose events and rules throughout that I reject. :)
    The JJVerse is right out.

Terok Nor likes this.
  19. f14peter

f14peter Commander Red Shirt

Here's mine, maybe not "head canon" but my interpretation of some oft-discussed points ...

- The TV series' and the TOS/TNG films are one universe/dimension/what-have-you, the Abrams films are completely unrelated. No altered timeline, no plot-device or storyline to tie them together ... just a different version of the same story outline and cast list. Just like the 1998 Matthew Broderick GODZILLA had no relation with the Toho films, likewise for the very recent incarnation.

- Starfleet IS the military/Defense force of the United Federation of Planets, Picard's comments not withstanding. And yes, is also is the Federation's exploration, police and outer space administrative body

- Starship captains of the TOS era have broad discretionary powers, authority and freedom of action. Therefore, decisions can be made and actions taken without running home to mommy (Starfleet) just to determine what color to paint the bridge bathroom (if it existed). So, a Kirk could decide the better action would be to leave Khan and party (and McGivers) on an unoccupied planet ... to enter into a "deal" with a planet to get warring factions to come together, just for a never-to-be-collected piece of the action ... and usually without too much worry over repercussions

- Virtually every other "starship" mentioned but not seen on TOS was the same class as Enterprise. AND there were other, lets capable "starships" within Starfleet

- Enterprise and Kirk were the most famous Starship and Captain of the time

- Chekov was onboard Enterprise for SPACE SEED

- Kirk knew Spock was off the bridge when warp power was restored at the end of TWOK

- Cochrane's warp drive was different from, and better than, other species' FTL propulsion, and therefore why he is held in such high esteem for the technological breakthrough even though other worlds were already FTL'ing their way around

- Much of the technology, culture, lifestyle and even gender/racial attitudes expressed in TOS were not the intent of the producers, writers or actors, but merely reflective of the standards of mid-1960s American television along with the influence of networks, censors and advertisers​

I got a ton more, but enough for now

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  20. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I got another one:

Admiral Forrest from Enterprise is one of the human identities of Flint, from TOS' "Requiem for Methuselah".

Nyotarules, Forbin and JonnyQuest037 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.