What's Going On

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Chanukahjes, Oct 14, 2017.

1. Maurice

Maurice Vice Admiral Premium Member

The last sunset of 2017 as seen from my window near Starfleet Headquarters. (Note the Dutch windmill at the end of Golden Gate Park. You can't see the Bird of Prey there for obvious reasons. :D )

[​IMG]

Happy New Year!

2. Chanukahjes

Chanukahjes Rear Admiral Moderator

Oh, that is beautiful! Attached is a photo of the view from our bedroom's main window; there's frost on it 'cause it's currently 5 above.

Attached Files:

3. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

Happy New Year everyone. :)

Corpus Christi and Chanukahjes like this.
  4. Chanukahjes

5. Chanukahjes

Happy Easter and Passover to all who observe either or both, and Happy April Fools Day to all of us!
    [​IMG]

Corpus Christi likes this.
  6. Chanukahjes

Haven't updated this in a while. Hope everyone's having a great summer. :)

lurok and Philip Guyott like this.
  7. Chanukahjes

Hai! I am going to the family homestead to see the 'rents for American turkey day. Pie or at least cookies will be on the menu. My poor mother is beside herself trying to figure out what to serve beyond turkey - and it's just going to be the three of us (Mr. j will spend time with his mother, who really doesn't travel anymore).

What are the plans for everyone else? Football? Cooing at someone's new baby you're seeing for the first time? Cooking? Cleanup? Slipping the dog the dark meat?

Do tell. :D

[​IMG]

Corpus Christi and Admiral2 like this.
  8. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Fleet Captain Premium Member

I’m too lazy to cook any more, so we’re going out to eat at my favorite diner. You know, the one that makes the finest pies in the state...

Chanukahjes likes this.
  9. Corpus Christi

Corpus Christi Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'll be having steak. I'm not a fan of turkey the way it's traditionally prepared.

Chanukahjes likes this.
  10. Sgt_G

Sgt_G Commodore Commodore

Same here. They have two holiday dinners on the menu: ham or turkey. So what my wife and I will do is order one of each and then cut the meat in half and swap. That way, we each get ham -AND- turkey.

One year, we ordered steak and shrimp for Christmas dinner instead of ham/turkey. Too bad they don't have shrimp on the menu anymore.

Chanukahjes likes this.
  11. Chanukahjes

I personally love to make T day dinner -- don't tell anyone, but it's actually a pretty easy meal to make, as the less you do with the turkey once it's in the oven, the better, and you already know what the sides are if you go all-out traditional. The hardest parts are getting the house ready and also getting the timing right.

12. Daddy Todd

Yeah, cooking a turkey isn't all that hard (I used to be Cook of the House before I got too lazy). Anyway, I use one of those cooking bags, and it comes out great! The biggest challenge is dealing with leftover turkey; there are only 3 of us in the house, so even a small bird leaves a ton of turkey leftovers.

And I love turkey gravy and mashing real potatoes (as opposed to re-hydrating potato flakes.) But, like I said, lazy.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone (belated greetings to Canadians who celebrated like a month and a half ago -- you know, while the harvest was on, instead long after.)

Chanukahjes likes this.
  13. Chanukahjes

Yes, belated greetings to our dear friends up north! <3 Thank you for the reminder.

I use Tyler Florence's turkey cooking method, crossed with my Mom's - stuff the turkey with peeled, sliced onions, and zested lemon halves (use the zest over the green beans or broccoli, whatever green veg you like) and a few peeled cloves o' garlic. Place on top of a bed of crisscrossed peeled carrots halved (so they won't roll) and celery ribs with the leafy bits cut off, and onion slices. Stick some butter (or margarine for my mother, as my folks keep kosher) under the wings (think of it as turkey deodorant). Sprinkle the breast with cracked pepper, kosher salt, and paprika or sage.

First 20 minutes - 400 degrees in the oven. After that, it's 20 minutes at 350 degrees per pound. Round down for fractions.

Don't cover, don't touch, don't check, don't open the oven door, don't baste.

Open up once the time is up, and check the internal temperatures of the thigh and breast, and if there's a popup thermometer, check that as well.

Take it out, cover with a clean, moist dish towel for about a half an hour.

Discard the lemons and garlic from inside the cavity. The onions are great to mix with whatever sides you've got.

Carve. Eat. Enjoy. The veggie bed should be soft and carmelized - if you want, either pour directly on as gravy (I just don't have the patience to cook flour) or make a roux or just blend it all with a stick blender.

We make soup out of the leftovers, and we freeze the run-off stuff as it's awesome in chicken or turkey soup or even stuff you buy in the store and take home.

Daddy Todd likes this.
  14. Daddy Todd

I’m gonna save this, and maybe at xmess (that’s what we celebrate instead of Hanukkah or Kwanzaa) I’ll un-lazy enough to try it out. It sounds awesome!

Chanukahjes likes this.
  15. Chanukahjes

Aw, thanks! I may tout pie a lot, but I'm not a great baker. I do love to cook, though, and T day is just fun. Mr. j and I will do our version of T day probably some time during Xmas week. And there will be yum throughout the land. Or, at least, throughout Chez Jes 'n Jay.

16. Sgt_G

Sgt_G Commodore Commodore

Not a great baker? But my wife sent you all those cook books......

Chanukahjes likes this.
  17. Maurice

Maurice Vice Admiral Premium Member

Hope everyone in the USA gets stuffed today.

I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Chanukahjes likes this.
  18. Chanukahjes

Got home safely yesterday and am currently in the midst of scaling Mt. Laundry.

19. urbankringle

urbankringle Commodore Commodore

Enjoying the last day of my week off with adult beverages and Deadwood reruns, while Mrs. Default works her magic with Christmas decorations.

20. Chanukahjes

Happy hollydays! 'Tis Night Five here at Chez Jes 'n Jay which means we try not catch our hair on fire while lighting candles (degree of difficulty increases every night). Hannaclaus brought us (or is in the process of bringing us), new carpet for the bedroom, new windows in 2 rooms, a flat screen, and a new DVD player. Plus new smoke detectors, heh.

The windows thingie is a weird work in progress. The house is an old Victorian and the rooms are tiny, so with every new window, we have to move furniture and stack and wedge it in. It's a game of checkers to find a space to put stuff. So we'll be getting new windows for probably the next couple of years.

'N you?