What would you change about 'Star Trek: Generations' if you could?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Citiprime, Jun 6, 2022.

1. Bynar0110

Bynar0110 Captain Captain

Keep Kirk alive. I would love to hear his thoughts on the 24th Century.

2. WarpTenLizard

WarpTenLizard Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Seconded. I found that development needlessly sadistic. That the two characters and their deaths never come up in "Picard" just reinforces how unnecessary it was to kill them.

3. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

Left Kirk out of it, and allowed the TNG cast to have their own movie. The TOS crew rode off into the sunset at the end of TUC; I didn't need to see any of them ever again.

Qonundrum and fireproof78 like this.
  4. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

I’d have said, if they must show Captain Kirk’s final fate, let it be shown that what he said in Final Frontier didn’t happen. Like Curzon Dax, let him die happy and surrounded by loved ones.

5. USS Belmont

USS Belmont Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I think I would have loved to see the opening on the E-B with Kirk, Spock & McCoy. With the original scene started with the 3 of them in the turbolift heading to the bridge and Kirk started quipping about being trophies, and McCoy chimed in about what their inscriptions might be, “Outstanding starship commander”, “Most noted doctor”, he then shot Spock a glance and said, “Best ears”. That would have been a lot of fun and better than the scene we ended up with Scotty playing Spock and Chekhov playing McCoy.

publiusr likes this.
  6. SithHappens

SithHappens Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

it still saddens me that kirk had to die, there is no doubt in my mind that had he not shatner would have revisited the role.

I do recall all the discussion even when the tos movies were at their peak about how ancient the crew were but when you think that shatner was a similar age to Tom cruise now when he was making those last movies how things have changed.

I think kirks demise should have been open ended, maybe after they defeated soran picard turned to thank kirk only for him not to be there. Picard only entered the nexus because he lost to soran so defeating him means he wouldn't have gone in the first place so kirk wouldn't have left the nexus. Yes time travel is confusing but shatner could easily have played the role again even if it wasn't being the lead character.

publiusr and Methuselah Flint like this.
  7. golddragon71

golddragon71 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Would have made Kirk’s death more ambiguous. not so cut and dried. We see him go over the cliff but Picard never finds his body. We never see him actually die. He just vanishes. We don’t even get an over the shoulder pov. The only inkling we get of Kirk’s ultimate fate is Guinean saying that “he was in the nexus for a time… and like so many of us, he left a part of himself in there. But who’s to say if the Kirk that came out with you(Picard) was the man…or the echo?”

ananta likes this.
  8. clownprince23

clownprince23 Ensign Newbie

Generations has been one of my least favorite Trek films. A lot of the movie needed to be changed, but one thing always irked me more then anything. Kirk’s so called fantasy didn’t match up with anything that came before he would never regret returning to Star fleet. The greatest trek movie, Wrath of Khan, dealt with the consequence of adventures and family missed, and then follows it into Search for Spock. This practically sets up what should have been for the nexus. I came up with an idea for re writing only Kirk’s portion of the nexus. I’m not much of a writer, but I like coming up with plot ideas. So this is just a smattering of ideas.

Overall theme is the life Kirk could have had. And that he must sacrifice this.

Only three characters are seen, Picard, Kirk, and Kirk’s grandson Jimmy. 10 years old.

Picard comes across Kirk’s house. He’s alone outside chopping wood. He sees Picard and assumes he’s there for his grandsons birthday party.

Some key moments are his grandson and Kirk interacting. Kirk gives him his birthday present early, a toy model of the Enterprise, 1966 version. Jimmy is excited and asks if it’s the ship he used to captain.

Kirk is visibly proud of his grandson. Tells Picard that his son David should be here soon. He’s giving a lecture on his latest research project and had to make a stop on Vulcan.

Through this we see Kirk looking at a shelf with pictures and trophies. Pictures of Kirk with David, trophies for horse competitions.

He talks about how David followed his mom and became a scientist, and how proud he was to watch him grow up. Talks about how his grandson wants to be like his grandpa and captain a Star ship.

Picard tried to explain this isn’t real, they’re in the Nexus. That there are people who still need his help. Kirk mostly ignores him. Goes on talking about his son and grandson, how much he’s proud of them.

Slowly Kirk realizes he’s right. He remembers David dying on the Genesis planet, killed by Klingons. Once the realization comes fully, he struggles with the fact that he has a choice to make. Continue with the lie and live the life he could have had, or leave the nexus and return to the real world. But doing so means he has to loose his son all over again, and the grandson he could have had.

The final Sven in the nexus would be Kirk saying good bye to his grandson. He rubs his cheek as tears form. He tries to say goodbye but can’t. Just wraps him up in a big hug and says I love you, as they’re surrounded by light and leaves the nexus.

Overall, I think the sacrifice is much greater this way.

9. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

^That sounds like Superman’s fantasy that the alien sea star gave him in Justice League Unlimited. Supes hugging his son as the imaginary Krypton began to break is heartrending…

clownprince23 likes this.
  10. clownprince23

clownprince23 Ensign Newbie

Yes, Alan Moore’s story in the comics Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow.

Initially I had the idea independent of that story, but realized they were similar and just rolled with it. Figured it was my fan fic so why not.

11. Trekker09

Trekker09 Captain Captain

I loved Generations despite its inconsistencies....one little detail I'd change, in Picard's Victorian Christmas fantasy--his wife would offer him a glass of his family's own vintage wine, instead of tea. ;)

One big thing I'd change is not having Robert and Rene die in a fire. Just not necessary.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2022