What the heck is that?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Anticitizen, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    Ah, I hadn't thought of the Dark Star dome comparison.

I'd always concluded that the dome might be able to separate as there appear to be separation lines around it, making it an independent pod which could land in the bay (though perhaps this was an emergency-only operation?)

I've often wondered that myself. It's better off as a hatch, methinks.

2. Karnbeln

Karnbeln Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

In the TOS-R version of Court Martial, didn't they have it missing, implying it to be the "ion pod"?

Edit: Nevermind, now that I think about it, I think I got confused by an image that showed the back of Enterprise and remarked that the location of the ion pod was added for the episode.

3. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I prefer to see it as the aft phaser array. ENT sort of canonized what the white cupola/dome is even if we never saw the Enterprise herself use it that way.

4. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

Looks like a diaphragm.

But seriously, my 70s-era AMT models had them, too.

5. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I think the 1976 Dinky Toys die-cast Enterprise also had the little dome, but it wasn't painted any differently from the rest of the toy.

6. Maurice

Maurice Fact Trekker Premium Member

It's a clear, painless blister, and the Enterprise will be fine once Bones gives her 120,000ccs of penicillin.

Seriously, I don't think it lines up with the gizmo at the top of the hangar doors to allow for those little rooms people postulate. Does it?

I just took at as a sensor like on the top and bottom of the saucer, or some traffic control gizmo.

GSchnitzer: how many of those pix ya got? I love the one where you can see the guts of the nacelle cap.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  7. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

It was on the model prior to 1976. Its omission from later versions is one of the more inexplicable changes made to the molds (ranks right up there with those three dimples on the underside of the primary hull; no reason for them in the first place, and no reason why they weren't removed when the new molds were made).

8. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

It gets away from the topic of the sensor dome/hanger deck control tower/bubble thing, but you can see the innards underneath the nacelle cap here:

[​IMG]

Here's a bit of an explanation as to what you're seeing in the picture:

[​IMG]

9. GSchnitzer

Here's a shot from "The Paradise Syndrome."

[​IMG]

You can see that the dome on top does line up directly above the cylindrical protrusion at the top front of the hangar bay doors. You can see that the window on the cylinder-thing is on the exact same plane (well, not plane since it's a curve) as the dome. They are--what's the word? Co-curvular?

Sorry about the huge picture above. I honestly don't know how to fix it.

10. Michael

Michael [ˈmɪçaːʔeːl] Moderator

That is an absolutely awesome image! Thank you for posting it! :techman:

11. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

I read the Officer's Manual years before I first watched Dark Star, but as soon as I saw Dark Star, I believed and still believe that Dark Star's dome was the inspiration for Drexler's drawing. :)

12. TIN_MAN

TIN_MAN Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That wouldn't be a "Cage" pistol laser emitter would it? Or a plug from the same moulding?

13. GSchnitzer

Yeah, that's been the speculation for quite a while. Certainly the three plexiglass prongs of different lengths make it look like the barrel of a Cage-era laser. I don't know if the diameter of the disc-thing is right. But it might indeed be one.

14. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Writer and occasional starship commander Premium Member

^Didn't NV/PII portray the dome as having what Mandel/Drexler described?

15. ssosmcin

ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[​IMG]

LOL, so the guy that sits here gets the honor of having a duplicate of Kirk's chair? So much for Kirk being special....

16. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk Cartoon Premium Member

Reminds me of the fold away seat in the back of the family Rambler station wagon back in the 60. For some reason us kids thought sitting back there, watching where we had been fade into the horizon was special.

17. GSchnitzer

Yes, in our episode "World Enough and Time," as the shuttlecraft Bellerophon leaves the Enterprise with Lt. Cmdr. Sulu and Dr. Chandris, we see that as the shuttlecraft makes a U-turn and heads back over the Engineering hull, that the Talby-like dome thing is indeed manned by someone (in a blue shirt), surrounded by consoles almost all the way around the inner circumference of the dome.

[​IMG]

(The apple doesn't fall far from the tree: Doug Drexler does a great deal of work for us.)

18. Warp14

Warp14 Lieutenant Red Shirt

The first time I noticed that domed doohickey on the aft of the Enterprise, it was kind of like when I learned about how Scotty/Jimmy Doohan is missing his middle finger. How did I not notice how Scotty blatantly hides his right hand most of the time? How did I miss that big ass flashing light?

Good god, what other minute details in TOS are there that I've managed to miss for the last 40 years...?

19. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Facing backwards made me carsick. :(

20. Classic Fan

Classic Fan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That looks so cool.

Yeah, joining the thread and back in the TOS forum for like, months.

Ive aleways assumed it was something along the lines of sensors or visual sensor etc.

Havnt seen those plan drawings in years, i forgot about the chair and look out post.

I still like the aspect of the inner detail on the original model. A lot of thought went into that, especially as it was, at the time, a lo-res tv production and the details wouldnt be seen properly. but thats the way designers and builders work, pride goes a long way.