What other aliens would we want to see in the future in season 3?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by The Overlord, Nov 23, 2019.

1. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Hmmm... Nah. I'm not gonna go there. :p

DaveyNY, SolarisOne and The Wormhole like this.
  2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, they just go rolling along. ;)

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

"God" from STV, who didn't die.

"Oh hi Michael. I knew Spock's other long-lost sibling."

4. Delta Vega

Delta Vega Commodore Commodore

I've no idea what you're talking about
    Nothing nostalgic about who ?
    And who is Cleveland ?

5. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nothing nostalgic about new aliens
    Cleveland Book, the guy Michael meets in the trailer who comments that she must believe in ghosts upon seeing her Starfleet insignia.

6. Delta Vega

Ok, was nostalgia a parameter on who people wanted to see ?
    I haven't seen any trailers or Short Treks so the Cleveland guy is news to me.

7. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just a joke about nostalgia being Disco's raison detre.

Delta Vega likes this.
  8. bryce

bryce Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ferengi and Borg.

I mean, Enterprise already did it, so.

No, not really. I mean, it would make sense if they ran into some Ferengi picking off the remains of the Federation...but they would have to just remain "unnamed species".

And I have a feeling that the Borg are meant to be over with by the 32nd century. The Federation would have dealt with them long ago.

I just wonder...if the Federation in the 29th to 31st century had time travel...how did they not see their demise coming...???

9. bryce

You know what would be cool...Arex's and M'Ress' species. Even if just in the background. They can easily do Arex with CGI. 2009's movie had something Arex-like on the bridge of the Kelvin. And Disc has a few partial-CGI aliens it seems (I am still catching up on the show.)

Speaking of aliens in the background...I would love to see a member or two of some of the species that were in the background of The Motion Picture.

Maybe even one of two from the Federation council scenes in The Voyage Home.

I wouldn't even mind if a few of ANY of these species showed up in Picard.

I know that I for one want to know what happened to the Xindi (and I am glad they were named checked in Star Trek Beyond). And I'd love to see a Denobulan or two.

guyute03 likes this.
  10. Lord Garth

Because the future isn't written and once you know the future, you can change it. Or, to quote Picard, "I don't give a damn about your past because your past is my future and as far as I'm concerned it hasn't been written yet!"

Until there's a series focused on it, I only treat a future as a possible future instead of the "real" future. So, likewise, that's why Picard's depiction of the 24th/25th Century cusp will overrule what we saw from "All Good Things" and "Endgame". At least in my mind. So I treat the 29th/31st Centuries in VOY/ENT as a possible future but the 32nd Century in DSC will be the "real" 32nd Century.

It's also possible that besides their Temporal Prime Directive to not interfere with the past, they might have a Secondary Directive to not seek information about the future. The risk of someone trying manipulate what they know will happen to their advantage is too great. It's even brought up in Star Trek's first true time travel episode, "Tomorrow Is Yesterday". It wouldn't stop a future version of Section 31 from trying to know, but once they start trying to change what will happen, then they run the risk of changing it to something that doesn't favor them if they make a mistake, putting them in an even worse situation than they were before. Time travel. Fun stuff, tricky stuff, and frustrating stuff all at the same time.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    nicholasm, guyute03 and SolarisOne like this.
  11. bryce

It may be possible that this is a potential future that will be changed when Discovery gets back to it's own time.

But I wouldn't put it past Starfleet and the Federation from having some dumb rule about not looking into their own future, even if it would prevent their own destruction, because it would violate some directive or other.

I remember some grumblings in Voyager about not using future tech that could save the Federation from the Borg because it would be wrong.

The Federation are fatalists and believe that there is some way that time and history are "supposed" to play out.

12. Lord Garth

"When"? The people who complained about Discovery being in the 23rd Century because of the Spore Drive unfortunately have a point. (Yes, I said it. Certain people can quote me on that! Go ahead, use it as a soundbite! :p ) The Spore Drive technology can't thrive in that time. Other than making the spore drive a failure, taking Discovery out of the 23rd Century and having Starfleet Command repress knowledge of the ship and its experimental technology was the best they could do. And going back now would undercut "Such Sweet Sorrow".

I only see Discovery going back so Georgiou can be in the Section 31 Series. Assuming it takes place in the 23rd Century at all (and I'm no longer convinced it will). Then she'd probably be the one to order Discovery to stay where it was in that nebula until the rest of the crew (who didn't go back with Georgiou for whatever reason) could find her. It's the only way "Calypso" makes sense. Unless they do a second 1,000-year jump. Which I wouldn't put passed Discovery. Doing something like that is in their wheel house.

The Discovery could be like the Time Traveller in HG Wells' The Time Machine. They just travel through time and space instead of just time. Travelling through different periods and eventually ending up in 802,701 AD. They might even have their own version of The Morlocks.

All highly speculative. I have no idea what they'll actually do. None of us does. Which is what will make reading all these posts again so hugely entertaining down the line.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    SolarisOne likes this.
  13. bryce

It would be a ballsy move to keep Disco in the future from now on. Though it mirrors the plan for the abortive series Star Trek: Federation that Bryan Singer wanted to make.

I am hoping that we will get some explanation by the end of all of this as to why the spore drive is not around in the 24th century. It's possible that the Federation lost access to the network...it closed itself off to protect itself or something. Or maybe humans accidentally destroyed it.

Or maybe using it was damaging it, so it was forbidden to use at all, even if it meant Voyage staying stranded in the Delta Quadrant.

14. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    I've always kinda-sorta thought that the "God-being" in ST-V:TFF was Gary Mitchell.

Perhaps somehow just before the boulder landed on him in the grave He created for Kirk, He managed to transport his conscientiousness out of His body.
    Unfortunately it landed in a place where Gary couldn't get out of.
    (the Universe acts in mysterious ways)

After spending what He thinks is eons there, His mind has really snapped.
    When Kirk shows up, Gary's rage is so intense from being trapped for so long that He doesn't realize that it's Jim.
    At least until that moment when Kirk asked "Why Does God Need A Starship?"
    :eek:

15. somebuddyX

somebuddyX Commodore Commodore

The species of the guy Dr McCoy tries to hire a space taxi to Genesis from in Star Trek III. "Discovery? Discovery allowed is not!"
    The genital knee guys from Star Trek VI.
    Any of the other Rura Penthe aliens.
    Any Federation council aliens from Star Trek IV like these guys.
    Maybe some guys from the Kelvinverse like a 0718 or a Keenser. They probably aren't allowed though.
    I always loved the weird aliens of the Trek films so seeing some randomly again, here or in some other production would be cool to me.

16. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh, I thought you meant the character Cleveland from The Family Guy. Too bad.

Lord Garth likes this.
  17. Delta Vega

When the Cleveland guy was first mentioned a few posts back I thought for a minute that it was a Family Guy reference.

18. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The less Family Guy in my Star Trek the better.

19. guyute03

guyute03 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Here's a thought.... how about the Mintakans? I always wondered what happened to them. Did they stay an agricultural people or did they venture out into the stars?

antinoos and Lord Garth like this.
  20. Boris Skrbic

Boris Skrbic Commodore Commodore

All other aliens except for those with callback power. Just make it a makeup design fest like STB was.