What next for Joss Whedon?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Jayson1, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Valenti

Valenti Captain Captain

Maybe they all got ahead.

2. Spot261

Spot261 Vice Admiral Admiral

I think you're underestimating the importance of the implicit

3. Valenti

Valenti Captain Captain

I'm hoping his mother's basement or prison. Serenity was a rip off of Blake's Seven.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, that's a bit extreme.

5. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I think it's an extraordinarily unlikely thing.

6. Serveaux

A possible rip-off of a definitely complete rip-off? Doesn't the fact that Firefly was well-written, well-cast, well-produced and actually worth watching somewhat mitigate the possibility that in your eyes it may have "ripped off" a deservedly virtually forgotten shot-on-video bit of flotsam that was - nine weeks out of ten - complete and utter tripe?

Velocity likes this.
  7. Valenti

Valenti Captain Captain

8. Serveaux

Yep.

I watched every episode of that tacky bargain-sale crap B7, BTW. Not proud of that, but it's true.

And BTW, any claim that Whedon ripped that trash off requires disregarding or misunderstanding virtually every aspect of plot, character, premise and theme. It's arrant nonsense.

9. Valenti

Valenti Captain Captain

The plot for Serenity was the same plot as the premise of B7 as far as I can recall reading.

10. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

Sounded like it had more in common with Farscape with the main character having a slightly different genesis, but the ship is similar and the crew is full of different kinds of outlaws. But Farscape was much better IMHO.

11. Serveaux

Everything was better than B7, really. Including Top Gear USA.

12. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Farscape and Firefly both owe a lot to Blake's 7, a show that was well ahead of its time and that's only hampered by a low budget, resulting in cheesy costumes, wobbly sets, and frequent use of British quarries, much like Doctor Who. The stories and characters themselves are wonderful and the show is worth watching on its own, contrary to certain naysayers. It's just a shame it's not available on DVD in the US.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not that familiar with B7, but from what I do know, they don't seem to be that much alike beyond the basic premise of outlaws on space.
    The characters all appear to be totally different, in terms of personality and characteristics.
    I don't see a hooker, a priest, or a fugitive doctor and his sister in the character list on Wikipedia. And I don't see anything about B7 having all of the Western elements that Firefly/Serenity has.
    I skimmed through the descriptions of the first handful of Blake's 7 episodes and I don't see a lot of similarities there either.
    Just because two shows have a similar premise, doesn't mean one is rip off of the other.
    Don't you need almost exact duplication for a plagiarism case to actually make it to court?

14. Serveaux

About one out of ten is worth watching. Most of it's a lot of rushing back and forth while members of the damn gang get captured and require freeing. Pretty monotonous and idiotic.

"Hey, I invented the Daleks!" :lol:

I suppose Whedon may have indicated a debt to the show somewhere, but it is nowhere evident.

15. Valenti

Valenti Captain Captain

This may be my own private TZ, but I could have sworn I read a or the story or premise for it and it was the same story as Serenity where the government, who they were always against too, dumbed down or peaced out a planet and it backfired and they all became violent.
    Sometimes I don't trust reality though.

As it happens and this has nothing to do with it, but I submitted a Klingon story about the same thing almost called
    ' The Price of Peace' to Trek not having read that before though.

16. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Alliance in Firefly shares some similarities with the Terran Federation of Blake's 7 but Blake's 7 deals more with the political struggle whereas in Firefly it's more like the background for Mal driving by in the General Lee with the confederate flag on the hood while honking Dixie. In terms of overall presentation though I don't think Firefly generally stands out as much like B7 (with maybe an exception for the episode Ariel). The cast of Firefly seemed to have more of a heart of gold than some of the bastards on the Liberator.

I think Farscape shares more elements in its struggles against the Peacekeepers and their mysterious stolen vessel Moya more similar to the Liberator from Blake's 7. Scorpius and Grayza seem to owe a nod or two to Travis and Servalan from B7.

Whedon's troubles aside I'd like to see him back with a TV series someday. I imagine making movies has perks with I'm assuming more money and I think it's easier for movie directors to pull off their visions but his shows were special. TV has come a long way since Buffy though it'd be interesting to see how one would fare today.

17. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

More original than The Orville. Oh, what's that? Opinions are subjective. Looks like it goes both ways.

Except while Terry Nation may have created Blake's 7, it was Chris Boucher (writer of three great Doctor Who serials) who made the show as great as it was (subjective, of course).

Only if you don't look for it.

18. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Have you actually watched either show?

19. Valenti

Valenti Captain Captain

Yes. Paul Darrow, my man. Didn't like Firefly.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's a generic enough idea that it's not impossible for two different creators to come up with it independently.