What is THE Worst continuity error in Trek history..?!

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Roald, Mar 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes, in New Ground Alexander gives his birth-stardate, 43205 which corresponds to TNG's third season. In fact, it is the very same stardate for the episode Booby Trap. In fact, according to the Stardate calculator Booby Trap is only four months or so after The Emissary, indicating Klingon pregnancies are pretty damn short.

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Given how everybody in the DSC forum loves to say they don't care about continuity anymore and that it can do whatever it wants, I expect there to be no mentions of that show in this thread. ;)

Prax and Hey Missy like this.
  3. Hey Missy

Hey Missy Captain Captain

Free thinker MODS! MOOODS!

Also yes it's implied that Alexander was the product of Worf and K'Ehleyr's... holodeck encounter.
    But I like to pretend he was conceived much earlier.

somebuddyX and Prax like this.
  4. UnknownSample

UnknownSample Commodore Commodore

In order to pursue some continuity error and try to make some sense of it, I generally need there to be something interesting there. Maybe the SF concepts are worth playing with. I can think of no duller continuity issue to deal with than that of teenage Alexander, and why he grew up so fast. Can't some things just be viewed as mistakes? Can't we say "oops" and move on?

5. Captain Rob

Captain Rob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Two words:

Naomi Wildman

"ducks"

6. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

Don't forget the Borg baby, it just vanished.

7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

In Mike Ford's amazing Klingon novel, The Final Reflection (which pre-dates TNG's version of the Klingons), he came up with Klingons ageing rapidly, but with them continuing to do so and dying young too. I recall a scene where Kirk meets Kor or Kang or one of his old enemies in the movie era (in How Much For Just the Planet? maybe?), and they're now much older than Kirk.

Maybe someone read that and used it as an excuse to age Alexander rapidly, then someone else decidied Klingons live centuries as an excuse to get the TOS Klingon trio in to DS9.:shrug:

8. somebuddyX

somebuddyX Commodore Commodore

I wonder if SORAS is actually a tangible thing in the Trek universe. Like maybe Q or Trelane were mucking about with the universe to see if Worf noticed or Alexander has too many chronitons in his blood stream or some other rubbish.

9. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

James R. Kirk is pretty bad.

I mean, it's completely forgivable, especially given that it occurred in the transition between pilot and series, but it's pretty high on the list of "bad continuity errors," especially since WNMHGB was aired in the sequence of first season episodes.

10. The Wormhole

Ron Moore has said how much of a fan of The Final Reflection he is, and IIRC it was because of that book that he decided the Klingons would be feudal with Great Houses ruling over their society. So yeah, I can totally see him using that as a precedent for Alexander rapidly aging. Although it should be noted, children aging at an advanced rate is a common enough trope everywhere, Star Trek itself did it again with Naomi Wildman as already noted. Star Trek is actually lucky it can use alien genetics as a means of explaining this away, it's a lot more difficult for non-sci-fi shows to explain why 100% human children age so quickly, or even not at all.

F. King Daniel likes this.
  11. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, since WNMHGB was written and filmed first, you could make an argument that it's "James T. Kirk" that's the continuity error. ;)
    I think Molly O'Brien aged a little faster than normally, as well. She was born during the fifth season of TNG, IIRC ("Disaster," right?) and a few years later on DS9, she was a bit older than she strictly should have been.

Nerys Myk and somebuddyX like this.
  12. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Quite so!

somebuddyX likes this.
  13. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Someone mentioned Odan. How about Joran? Is that a continuity error? The first time we meet him, he's a troubled kid who killed a man in a crime of passion. when we last meet him, he's a sophisticated, calculating serial killer.

UnknownSample and somebuddyX like this.
  14. UnknownSample

UnknownSample Commodore Commodore

That episode with Ezri didn't even seem like DS9. It seemed like generic Hollywood intruding into Trek. Though I do enjoy Odo's "Nice melon!"

15. The Wormhole

Actually, a lot quicker than "a few years." You're right, Molly was born in season 5's Disaster, then as early as season 6's Rascals they cast four year old Hana Hatae in the role and Molly was essentially aged up accordingly. Hana Hatae played Molly throughout all DS9, so at least there Molly aged at a normal rate.
    Joran was already a psychopath as early as Facets, the second time we met him and not long after he was introduced. Even if you want to call that a continuity error, the last time we see him, S7's Field of Fire isn't really a continuity error since it is consistent with a prior depiction of the character.

16. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If it be facets that committed the sin, then facets it be. Maybe it's part of, you know, Joran's "arc." He grows from the mixed up boy to a crazy man who wants nothing more than to kill Jadzia to a sophisticated hunter of men. A serial killer by the looks of it.

Even dead people get character growth!

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  17. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks for correcting my vague memory! :techman:

18. starmike

starmike Captain Captain

Ferengi in Enterprise

19. Captain Rob

Captain Rob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But the word "Ferengi" was never used. They didn't know what species their invaders were.
    But you have to wonder if the Enterprise encountered them why did it take another 200 years for Starfleet to make contact with them. Unless these idiots were really far away from home.

20. starmike

starmike Captain Captain

Even still, it's like bumping into your next door neighbor and then nobody in your town not seeing them for 200 years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.