What games are you playing currently?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by charlhussey, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

Ooh Steam Deck hey? So you are outside then what's the screen like outside?

2. wayoung

wayoung Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So, can anyone guess what I dropped on the hard balcony floor my first day of using it?

I have the top tier version (fire insurance, I paid $50 regardless of the version I got, so I went all out) which has the anti glare screen, and there's a roof over the balcony. I had to max brightness for a bit in game and on the device but I could see well enough.

The battery performance though, ooopppphhh. About an hour of play time before I had to plug it in.

3. Gingerbread Demon

I do hear they are pretty well made so can do small drops and they have a reasonably good repairability score according to Ifixit who did videos on that showing how easy it was to take apart to replace parts. Only negative is glue on the battery making replacement kind of hard.

4. wayoung

wayoung Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The case got scuffed pretty bad. I'm not sure about the screen. There was nothing noticable when playing but inside with the device off and in direct light I thought I found a few spots that were damaged. I'll probably tell better next time I use it. I felt sooooooo dumb. First day I had it out and I do it on a solid balcony floor. I had it plugged in and moved and the cord was shorter than I had thought and I dropped it.

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Crystal Mines II: Buried Treasure (Atari Lynx) on the Evercade Handheld.

6. Gingerbread Demon

Ah found the video I was talking about.

7. Daniel Jackson

Daniel Jackson Cadet Newbie

I'm playing Ocarina of Time on PC via the awesome Ship of Harkanian port project. It adds tons of improvements, a really enjoyable way to replay this classic.

8. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

God of War: Ragnarok which looks and plays amazingly in Performance mode with VRR. :D

StarMan likes this.
  9. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

My TV has VRR but turns off local dimming, unfortunately.

I haven't really started the game but played around with the settings. I thought I'd go with quality @ 40fps, but my eyes just don't adjust to 40fps well - It looks like rapid stop motion. It was the same with Forbidden West. To be fair I haven't given my eyes enough time to adjust to the framerate any time I've tried 40fps.

Anyway, after fiddling around and getting up close with the TV, I've settled on performance (HFR turned off). Performance mode looks incredible; there are some very subtle differences between performance and quality (e.g. shadow rendering, lighting), but it's so minor you'd need a magnifying glass to spot it - at least in the opening area.

BigFoot likes this.
  10. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

I have an OLED TV, so local dimming doesn't affect it.

But yeah, in your case I'd probably use the regular Performance mode as well. It looks great and at a rock solid 60fps it still runs quite nicely.

And yeah, I have a really hard time going back to 30fps games now that I've gotten used to 60fps. Sure, 40fps is better, but it still isn't great.

11. Gingerbread Demon

I'm pretty sure you can turn off the dimming in most tv's.

My samsung has a thing that senses room light and it's fucking annoying so turned it off, and it has this weird thing that changes the brightness when there is text on screen like credits and stuff. I'm not sure why it does that but that one I can't turn off but got used to it. Thing is it's a poxy 32 inch so don't know why it's got those kind of features in a that screen size.

12. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

Yes you can (which is what turning on VRR does) but on most LCDs it significantly decreases contrast and near-black handling.

EDIT: I wanted to add that for most people the reduction of image quality (with local dimming turned off) isn't worth the increased performance with VRR (from 60 to 80fps or so). Especially when the 60fps mode is super stable.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2022
    StarMan likes this.
  13. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

Yep. I've tried to compensate with local dimming off but you just don't get the same HDR pop.

14. Gingerbread Demon

Worse when you TV has an active room sensor and changes the brightness

15. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Chip’s Challenge (Atari Lynx) on the Evercade Handheld.

16. Gingerbread Demon

I remember that game ..... Fun times
    What was the ending? Later levels got too hard so I never finished that one.

17. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

God of War: Ragnarok. Really into it now :)

Also, I've been researching the Evercade Handhelds, and I think I may buy one. There's an XP edition getting ready to drop, I may pick it up along with the Data East carts. I only wish the Data East Arcade one came with RoboCop and RoboCop 2 arcade, but I'm sure there's licensing issues.

18. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

First two things i did before i turned my sd on was to slip it into it's Benzacap hard shell case then put on the Benzacap temperd gkass screen protector, i was taking no chance.
    I grabbed the 64 gig model because i won't be using it outside but also when i say how the anti glare screen dulled the colours somewhat on both the 256 and 512 models, as i like a vibrante colour setting, somewhat over saturated.

Just got the Amiga 500 emulator running on it and spent 2 hours playing Stunt car racer. :-)

19. Gingerbread Demon

I just installed Steamos on my desktop. So this is what it's like navigating the steam deck hey?
    On the official hardware how much control are you given over the screen and sound, on pc hardware seems like lots of options.

20. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^The controller options on the steam deck are stunning, and the fact it has community controller options that you can pick with the press of a button is great, point in question i am playing Star trek online on the deck with the sticks and touch pads, without many issues, so i can only assume valve have mastered witchcraft as to get so many windows gamers to run so well on this steam OS.
    Graphic wise i just leave everything at the default settings, with 1280/800 being the default res, medium seems to be the detail level on games like STO, or take Deux ex mankind which runs at highest setting, Borderlands the sequel at high settings, but i am still stunned that i have in my hands my steam account to play on this deck with almost no issues, and that is before i install my epic account onto it, or Gog, or stream game pass games on it, it is indeed a very powerful device, and one more added bonus, i do not need to play the Nivida £1000 low to mid range GPU game anymore. lol