What games are you playing currently?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by charlhussey, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Ricky Spanish

Ricky Spanish BillJ Premium Member

Marvel’s Avengers on the Xbox Series X. Doesn’t reinvent the wheel, but a decent enough way to kill time.

2. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Far Cry 5 (co-op with a friend).

It's a lot of fun with a friend and the gun play is really slick but the game has a habit of taking one step forward and one step back. It's chaos at times and could do with a bit more structure. The AI could be smarter and the enemies appear to frequent in the maps.

3. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Days Gone on the PS4, currently. Not too far into it, but so far I'm really enjoying it. I like that sound plays a large role. Really makes you think about how to approach a situation. Just for fun, while I was out clearing a camp, I triggered a trap and had the enemy NPCs fighting the incoming zombies. It did half the work for me :D

4. David S. Pumpkins

David S. Pumpkins Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really enjoyed Days Gone. Shame we won't get a sequel :( The hordes may seem daunting now, but by the time I was done with the game, it was easy work :)

5. Sad Kelpian Child

Sad Kelpian Child Admiral Admiral

I started playing Tales of Arise.

The Tales series in general has been a B/B+ series for me, but I'm not feeling this one so far. Besides being a major graphical upgrade for the series. It's just kinda boring for an ARPG.

To me, the appeal of Action RPG combat is the process of learning enemy behaviors and figuring out creative ways to avoid damage while getting close enough to inflict it. In this one, enemy behavior is all the same, they lunge straight toward you, and they choreograph the move three seconds in advance. There's no creativeness or hecticness, you pummel and evade when it's obviously going to attack.

Another thing Tales is usually good at even in its bad games is having likable characters. The characters are just sorta blah so far, they have one facial expression and always seem annoyed. The concept that one race is enslaving another is a cool idea for a story. But even that they make weird and overcomplicate with some nonsense about "Oh we don't even need the labor, we just need to work people to death because it funnels astral energy for our weird rituals!" Just make it about slavery, that's emotionally compelling enough.

They also made it so stuff like fetch quests and achievements that's supposed to be optional is required to open up the skill tree or buy anything. So you're forced to spend time on the boring parts of the game to get strong enough for the fun parts.

6. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh, no sequel? I like sneaking up on them and stabby stabby. It's when there's no good cover when clearing nests that I feel overwhelmed.

David S. Pumpkins likes this.