What games are you playing currently?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by charlhussey, Apr 29, 2010.

1. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I usually power through the story and ignore side missions until the end. The way "Shadow of Mordor" is set up, though, you almost have to do side missions as you go in order to build up your strength and earn new abilities, otherwise it's too damn hard to defeat certain enemies. I like that the game encourages you to do the extra stuff as you go.

2. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Well, I *was* playing Condemned, but then accidentally hit the "new game" that it defaults to when switching on, rather than scrolling back up to "continue" (which is the top option but not the default) - and instead of asking to choose a save slot, or even an "are you sure?" it just wiped all progress even though I hit "back" pretty instantly.

And that sort of "fuck you" really hacks me off - it's a fucking miracle I didn't hurl the disc across the room. As it is, I think I'll play some Hitman or Far Cry, and fuck the Halloween season, gaming wise.

3. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

That would piss me off to no end. I would definitely never go back and revisit the game.

4. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Playing Batman: Arkham Origins on PS3. Its pretty fun so far, although I hated the Deathstroke boss battle. I'm a big fan of the first two games, so its cool to get more, even though I don't think its going to end up being better than Arkham City.

5. martok2112

martok2112 Commodore Commodore

Aye, Kirkman, I'm waiting on Batman Arkham Knight. That looks to be badass. Haven't played AO, yet, but I did love Arkham Asylum (especially Harley Quinn's sexy little outfit in that one...and I just love her 50's screwball comedy styled voice...pretty much all of the voice cast were from Batman the Animated Series) and Arkham City.

I decided that my Xbox 360s needed some love, (not to be an indicator thay I'll move toward Xbox One, 'cause I refuse to after M$'s shenanigans) so I'm playing Battlefield: Bad Company. I love the Bad Company series, and am hoping for a third entry into the crazy world of Marlowe, Redford, Sweetwater, and Haggard. :)

6. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Currently playing Driftmoon, a sweet old-school RPG with a whimsical sense of humour and some great gameplay. One of my favourite bits so far includes a battle that is an homage to Monty Python, with the mini-bosses' limbs falling off one by one... :D This game is well worth it.

On the PS3, I'm playing through Ni No Kuni. What a beautiful game!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  7. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've been really getting into Hearthstone lately. I put off playing the game for months due to my mistrust of free-to-play games, but I shouldn't have doubted Blizzard. They know how to do free-to-play right.

8. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

The voice acting in all three arkham games has been good, although Origins suffers a bit from not having Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamil as Batman and Joker. Harley Quinn was voiced by the Batman TAS actress in Asylum, but she was replaced by Tara Strong in Arkham City, and I think Strong does a great job even though I can tell the difference between the voices. The replacement Batman and

I'm farther along in Origins (I just beat Copperhead's kind of generic fight), and I'm enjoying it, but it definitely isn't a step up from Arkham City, which is still my favorite. Still, more Arkham is always good, and since I only have a PS3 this is the last new Arkham game I'll be playing for a long time.

9. martok2112

Btw, my apologies for mistyping your name, kirk55555. :)

Yeah, I wasn't quite sure if I wanted to "go back in time" so to speak with Batman Arkham Origins. I might, since I am usually a completionist.

I hope you'll be able, in the future, to continue enjoying the Arkham series.

10. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

"Last of Us" multiplayer keeps pulling me back in despite some annoyances, it's been a long time since I enjoyed any games non co-op multiplayer. I still wish factions was more of a side mode because it can get in the way of just wanting to play the round for sake of it but I love the slower pace of the game.

11. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Arkham Origins is fun, and honestly it probably has the best story out of all the Batman games so far. The only thing I didn't like about it was that it was basically just Arkham City: Part 2. Half of the game map is the same (it takes place in the same part of Gotham before it got converted into Arkham City).

Still, if you like Arkham Asylum and Arkham City, I see no reason why you wouldn't like Origins.

In other news, I just beat the story of "Shadow of Mordor." I'll probably keep playing for a while; there's a lot of side stuff I didn't get to. All in all, it's an awesome game! I definitely recommend it.

12. martok2112

RoJoHen, some questions I'd like to ask about Shadow of Mordor:

1. Is it first or third person?
    2. Is it real-time action or turn based?
    3. Be there looty and booty? Or is it largely just kill the bad guys with little to show for your efforts?

Thank you for your time. :)

13. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

1) 3rd person

2) Real-time. And while you're off having your own adventures, the bad guys are off having their own and building up powers and abilities. It'd be like if all the random thugs in Arkham City wandered around picking fights with each other. Whoever wins those fights gets stronger. And if somebody kills you, they get stronger and remember you when you encounter them again (and then they make fun of you for dying the last time).

3) There's stuff around the world that earns you XP so you can upgrade faster, kinda like the Riddler Trophies in the Arkham games.

Honestly, "Shadow of Mordor" is basically Arkham City meets Assassin's Creed. If you like those kinds of open-world 3rd person games, you'll love this.

14. martok2112

Thank you for the 411, RoJoHen....I might have to check it out. My roommate, who is a bigtime Lord of the Rings fan, would probably dig this....especially since, to my knowledge, it is the first M rated LotR based title. :)

15. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Well, I picked up Alien Isolation today - hey, I have to, it needs to go in the revised and updated Beautiful Monsters - so I guess I'll start that tonight...

16. martok2112

Lonemagpie, I hope you will find enjoyment in Alien Isolation. :)

17. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Borderlands Pre-Sequel. Well, up until the first boss, not only is he insanely hard to kill but going to the only ammo locker and back into the arena resets all his health but not your own.

Stopped after the 5th time I died just to not go through that all again.

It's fun seeing how the game incorperates things once it connects to your BL 1 and 2 save games, Lilith and Athena in mine.

And oh dear, another Clap Trap, like we really needed two of them.

18. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

Well I caved and just ordered Shadow of Mordor from the PSN Store. ;) They have a deal where if you spend more than $100 in October, you get a $15 credit in November. so I also pre-orderd AC: Unity.

19. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I did not know about this deal. Interesting...

20. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Origins boss battles can be hit & miss and the overall map design is weaker than Arkham City but the combat system is still a lot of fun and the story in places is fantastic. There are several origin stories in play and in particular one storyline that I won't spoil is awesome ;)