What eventually happens to Nhan?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Dr. San Guinary, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've been here 20 years too. I see nothing wrong with DSC having more representation of women. Jinn laid out how the gender composition isn't lop-sided like some make it out to be.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    DEWLine, BeatleJWOL, PiotrB and 3 others like this.
  2. Kpnuts

Kpnuts Commodore Commodore

Two wrongs don't make a right. The answer isn't to suddenly shift the balance the other way, it's to provide, well, a balance.

Can you imagine an arrogant female character killed in such a stupid way? Didn't think so. All the women have to be strong, and put the men in their place (see Cornwell putting Pike in his place, and stepping up when he didn't).
    You know you're scraping the bottom of the barrel when you have to list Voq.

Who??

Also, why only limit it to Starfleet? Why not add Poe, L'Rell, Georgiou, Siranna etc​

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  3. Dry Bones 37

Dry Bones 37 Admiral Admiral

The trick of balance is discovering it by going back and forth, not a perfect one to one ratio. Sorry, that's not the way casts work, that's not the way shows work and that's not the way society works. This is a completely unreasonable standard, especially when the numbers don't line up to this complaint.
    Yes.

Next question.

Seen it before, will see it again. Sorry, I don't see the issue that is constantly being drummed here. Having strong women lecture men is no worse than strong men lecturing women. I've just seen a whole lot more of the latter, and not a whole heck of a lot of the former, largely because there were not so many women in command positions in Star Trek's history.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SJGardner likes this.
  4. SJGardner

SJGardner Captain Captain

And here was I thinking that Georgiou wasn't a nice person and we weren't supposed to agree with her. If a character expresses any kind of view at any point, does it automatically become a soapbox for the writers?

Connolly was merely an annoying smartass in a long line of annoying smartasses who have been killed by their own stupidity. He's a Star Trek staple and there's nothing unusual about him.

Landry. Next question.

I really hope you were just as incensed as you are now when Admiral Nechayev had the nerve to issue orders to Sisko about the Maquis despite Sisko being The Hero and knowing more about them, or when she berated Picard himself for being too soft on the Borg.

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The feminist vagenda is ruining Discovery! We need balance but I personally prefer how the shows used to be all about men saving the galaxy in a manly fashion because I've never complained once in a thread about it ever!

BeatleJWOL, serabine and SJGardner like this.
  6. Attentiveluke

Attentiveluke Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I dont much like how flippant posters here are being about gender politics on this show. You are aware the USS Discovery that has gone into the future has no straight white men as as a named character in its crew?. If thats not an agenda i dont know what is. Im sure someone on here will try telling me im imagining whats going on with the show. None so blind as those who will not see....

7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Literally did not notice.

Are there are still straight white men in the future? Find out in season 3 of Star Trek: Discovery!

PT109, XCV330, BeatleJWOL and 5 others like this.
  8. Australis

Australis Writer Admiral

Literally did not care.

9. SJGardner

Me neither. I was too busy relating to two female characters, one of whom is even of a different race. I never needed a straight male surrogate to be able to enjoy a story.

I don't understand this whole issue at all because their gender, race and sexual orientation is completely incidental to their character. Burnham isn't defined by her being a female POC, nor is being gay the crux of Stamets' character. He's a grumpy, sarcastic scientist with a tendency to lash out at the people around him when he's stressed, who just so happens to live in a same-sex relationship that's portrayed absolutely matter-of-factly, as it should be. If there's one thing Burnham is defined by, it's her connection to Spock, and that wouldn't change if she were, let's say, Czech or Lebanese. But for some reason the moment a character has one single demographic characteristic that removes them from the "white, straight, anglo-saxon protestant male" box, then every other thing about them is instantly invalidated and they become a gimmick character whose very raison d'être is only to pander to some demographic.

lurok, Ovation, Kitty Worrier and 4 others like this.
  10. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

Who cares? Lots of straight white men on tv and in real life (if your into that kind of stuff).

11. serabine

serabine Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Oh, is that the arc for the next season? Gosh golly, how exciting!

Also, why is this the second thread I come across where we whine about how one show out of six not having "enough" straight white males (never mind that we had straight white male captains both seasons)? Can we also bitch about DS9 with its one(!) straight white male character (not counting aliens) in O'Brian?

PS: Also funny how Stamets being gay apparently invalidates him being white.

12. SJGardner

O'Brien? Sheesh. Don't you remember Hippocratic Oath where he asked Bashir why Keiko couldn't be more like Ba...uuuh...a man? (nice save there, Miles :lol:).

13. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Admiral Admiral

No one's going to tell you you're imagining things. We're just going to say we don't give a shit and that it doesn't matter. Because we don't give a shit, and it really doesn't matter.

Dobby Is Free, lurok, Ovation and 5 others like this.
  14. SJGardner

I had so much Nhan with all the Nhan-related puns this thread until it sadly became derailed. Again. It deserves better.

15. Ricky Spanish

Ricky Spanish History’s Greatest Monster Premium Member

Every other Trek show does, and the next Trek show is being led by a straight white male. So you can quit clutching your pearls.

lurok, Ovation, The Wormhole and 5 others like this.
  16. Attentiveluke

Attentiveluke Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I’m sure Picard will be the only straight, white male on that show and if they could get away with recasting him as Gay, black or female they would. Although his character will be rewritten and be totally unrecognisable, a character assassination akin to Spock...

17. Jack-o'-Locutus

Jack-o'-Locutus RESISTANCE IS FRUITILE Moderator

Thread closed at OP's request because it got derailed from its original intent.

nightwind1, Kor, BeatleJWOL and 2 others like this.
  18. Jack-o'-Locutus

Jack-o'-Locutus RESISTANCE IS FRUITILE Moderator

This thread is being reopened for discussion of the original subject matter. Please do not engage with the two posters above about the sexism angle as they will not be able to reply here and it will only contribute further to the derailing of the thread and getting it closed again. They have not received any infractions, they are simply not allowed to post in this thread again since they refused to comply with instructions to stop, and after conferring with my co-mods we didn't think it was fair that the thread should have to be closed because of a couple of disruptive influences. Thank you. Please return to your regular Nhan discussion.

19. Ovation

Ovation Vice Admiral Admiral

I’m glad that N’han-sense is over.

20. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Vice Admiral Premium Member

Now that's more like it. It's always a couple of Nhancompoops that have to go and ruin the fun.